Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Time for a new camera...help me please :) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/time-new-camera-help-me-please-158852/)

momof3girls Aug 24, 2009 8:06 AM

Time for a new camera...help me please :)
 
I've used and recommended this site numerous times but have never posted so here goes...

Currently, I have a Canon A610. I loved this camera. I've had it for about 3 years. Just recently I dropped it and it never turned back on. At first I considered just buying another A610 but with only 5mp and 4x zoom, I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I feel guilty looking at any brand other than Canon. Don't ask me why. :confused: I had a Kodak Easyshare before the Canon and swore I would never own another Kodak. I hated the battery life. It seemed like every time the batteries died another day of life was sucked from the camera. One day the batteries died, I replaced them and the camera never powered up again. After saying all of this let me explain my dilemma...I find myself looking at the Kodak Z1012. Looks like a great camera and the reviews are pretty good. Then I remember its a Kodak and my attention goes elsewhere.

I'm really hesitant to give up the vari-angle LCD as I used it A LOT so my choices are limited.

So should I stick with Canon? I'm specifically looking at the S5 and the SX10. I just want really nice quality shots with a decent zoom.

My "perfect" camera would include the following-
Vari-angle LCD
Zoom of at least 10x
At least 7mp
Ability to zoom while shooting movies
Grip similar to the Canon A610
Pricetag between $200-$300

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gjtoth Aug 24, 2009 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3girls (Post 994605)
I've used and recommended this site numerous times but have never posted so here goes...

Currently, I have a Canon A610. I loved this camera. I've had it for about 3 years. Just recently I dropped it and it never turned back on. At first I considered just buying another A610 but with only 5mp and 4x zoom, I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I feel guilty looking at any brand other than Canon. Don't ask me why. :confused: I had a Kodak Easyshare before the Canon and swore I would never own another Kodak. I hated the battery life. It seemed like every time the batteries died another day of life was sucked from the camera. One day the batteries died, I replaced them and the camera never powered up again. After saying all of this let me explain my dilemma...I find myself looking at the Kodak Z1012. Looks like a great camera and the reviews are pretty good. Then I remember its a Kodak and my attention goes elsewhere.

I'm really hesitant to give up the vari-angle LCD as I used it A LOT so my choices are limited.

So should I stick with Canon? I'm specifically looking at the S5 and the SX10. I just want really nice quality shots with a decent zoom.

My "perfect" camera would include the following-
Vari-angle LCD
Zoom of at least 10x
At least 7mp
Ability to zoom while shooting movies
Grip similar to the Canon A610
Pricetag between $200-$300

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the Nikon P-90

mtclimber Aug 24, 2009 9:23 AM

Momof3girls-

As I just mentioned in another post,please see the super zoom selection post, the first step in any camera search is to seriously define in descriptive words exactly what your #1 photo requirement really is.

Your situation may indeed be different and require a different camera. Once step #1 is completed well, then we can move into camera selection and comparing cameras. BTW the Kodak Z-1012 is a really good camera, and KLIC-8000 battery that it uses is very long lasting, but it might not be the camera that really fits your photo needs.

Take some time and really work on defining and describing your #1 priority for photos. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

momof3girls Aug 24, 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 994623)
Momof3girls-

As I just mentioned in another post,please see the super zoom selection post, the first step in any camera search is to seriously define in descriptive words exactly what your #1 photo requirement really is.

Your situation may indeed be different and require a different camera. Once step #1 is completed well, then we can move into camera selection and comparing cameras. BTW the Kodak Z-1012 is a really good camera, and KLIC-8000 battery that it uses is very long lasting, but it might not be the camera that really fits your photo needs.

Take some time and really work on defining and describing your #1 priority for photos. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

I thought I did describe what was important to me but maybe not in great enough detail so here goes...

My #1 photo requirement is to be able to take an excellent quality picture without having to get in my childrens' face to do it. I have a lot of 8x10 frames that I switch out pictures quite frequently so I need to be able to print at least an 8x10 and have it turn out great. The vari-angle LCD is the one thing that I really want to keep but I'm willing to give it up for a better camera without one. I don't care about all the manual settings on a camera. I usually end up using the auto feature or one of the preset "scene modes". I hope this helps describe better what I am looking for.

mtclimber Aug 24, 2009 3:13 PM

Super Zoom Cameras with Articulated LCD Screens
 
1 Attachment(s)
momof3girls-

Thanks for providing more detail in your post. The Canon SX-10/SX-20 cameras and the Sony H-50 camera all have super zoom and articulated LCD screens. Just based solely on my own experience, the H-50 camera operates better in a full automatic mode than either the SX-10 or SX-20 cameras. The H-50 is able to easily operate at ISO 800 and take good photos without the need for flash. That is a task that neither the SX-10 nor SX-20 can do because they are ISO limited, and show a measurabl about of noise in their images at ISO settings above ISO 200 to 250.

All three of the cameras have an ample quanity of scene modes as well. My though was that the higher ISO capability of the Sony H-50 camera might be very useful in taking candid photos of your family.

I have attached a photo that I took with the Sony H-50 in a local Optical Shop without flash. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Tullio Aug 25, 2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3girls (Post 994605)
I feel guilty looking at any brand other than Canon. Don't ask me why. :confused:

Why???

You'll be much better off having an open mind toward other brands. I think those days of brand loyalty are gone. Today, there are a number of camera manufacturers (some not the ol' traditional companies) making some pretty darn good cameras. Sony and Panasonic are two great examples. Sony has developed over the years some of the most impressive P&S digital cameras ever made (the V series, the f series and finally the R1 were innovative models that introduced many features and functionality not seen in any other brand). Panasonic has team up with Leica (one of the best lens manufacturers in the world) and produced some real good cameras over the past years. These are just two quick examples of the options you have other than Canon.

mtclimber Aug 25, 2009 11:02 AM

momof3girls-

I agree with Tullio's post completely. In this situation you are looking for the best super zoom camera. Canon's SX-10 is a good camera, but based on your stated needs, the SX-10, due to it being ISO limited (meaning any photos over and including ISO 400 show a whole lot of noise in the images which at least to me is undesirable) is not a good choice for your needs.

The Sony H-50 more fully meets your needs and is ISO capable at ISO 800, so I, I think logically, see the H-5o as the better choice. However, at the end of the day the choice is entirely yours, of course. Please purchase whatever camera suits you the best. I was just attempting to fully answer your question.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Tullio Aug 25, 2009 11:05 AM

The H50 is indeed a much better option IMO.

tclune Aug 25, 2009 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tullio (Post 994961)
Why???

You'll be much better off having an open mind toward other brands. I think those days of brand loyalty are gone.

I think there is a very good reason to be loyal to a brand that you had for a number of years and loved. Cameras are not really a commodity item. A Canon has different features, a different philosophy of processing (resolution vs noise, e.g.), a different menu structure, etc. than, say Panasonic. For those folks who are always using a lot of different brands, this is no big deal. You know from experience whether these things that don't fit on a bullet list work for you or not. But someone who buys a camera once every few years is in a very different situation. The color processing, ergonomics, lens characteristics, etc. are typically quite different across brands but generally quite persistent within a brand. The OP knows that Canon worked well for her. That means a lot. I have a similar feeling about Panasonic. That is an entirely appropriate consideration when selecting a new camera. Or so ISTM.

mtclimber Aug 25, 2009 5:14 PM

tclune-

What you say is true. However, what do you do when you favorite brand's camera that you are considering, is not quite up to the performance level of the competition??

That is the case in this situation IMO. However, I have repeatedly told the OP that the choice is hers. What do you find wrong with that??

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:48 PM.