Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   wide angle super compacts? (v570 experience?) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/wide-angle-super-compacts-v570-experience-104543/)

boey Oct 22, 2006 5:53 AM

hello! anyone who knows if there are any super compact (<125g/4.5oz) digicams other than the kodak v570 with a wide angle mode?

the kodak v570 has a 23 mm equivalent wide angle mode which seems very useful. anyone that has experience from using that camera?

kind regards,

Tostada Oct 24, 2006 4:30 AM

The V705 is the new version. They claim it's 1g lighter.

The Panasonic FX01 and FX07 are 4.64 oz with a 28mm wide angle. The Canon SD800 IS is 5.29 oz, and it has a 28mm wide angle. The 23mm on the V570/V705 is significantly wider, though. That's why they need dual lenses. I don't think you'll find anything to beat them, certainly not less than 4.5 oz.

I definitely question the need for a camera to be lighter than 4.5 oz, though. The V570 feels very flimsy to me compared to most other cameras I've handled. I know it's metal, but it feels like extremely thin metal. With all the delicate optics, I really don't want a camera that is as light as my cell phone. The battery is extremely small in the V570, too. It gets < 200 shots on a charge, and there are cameras in the 600-1000 shot range that fit comfortably in your pocket.

Steve has a very thorough review of the V570. The conclusion page is the longest I've seen in any of his reviews. I doubt you'll get much better info than that. If you want to play with one, the only store I remember seeing one in was HHGregg.

I'm not trying to be too negative. THe V570 is definitely a cool camera.

simah Oct 24, 2006 1:41 PM

Any wide angles w/at least 7X zoom , good for arch. photos. less than $300?

Boily Oct 24, 2006 1:46 PM

Quote:

Any wide angles w/at least 7X zoom , good for arch. photos. less than $300?

I am not sure of its price but there is the kodak p880 !

simah Oct 24, 2006 2:42 PM

Thank you, I will check the kodak out. appreciate your help.:cool:

boey Oct 24, 2006 3:30 PM

thanks tostada!
i'll check out the panasonics as well, maybe i could be satisfied with 28 mm although the 24 mm idea thrills me. i'll also check out the slightly bigger ones, although i'm actually looking for a camera that will always be small enough to bring, even in a party setting.

regarding the question about experience, i have a feeling that there are things one finds out while using a camera for some time that you don't have the time to notice in a test. the test is of course most useful and perhaps enough info though.

as for the p880, it's a huge camera which is not what i was asking about, but i guess this thread could be a general wide-angle thread ifothers want it to be.

again, thanks for your tips.

boey