Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:56 AM   #11

My initial reasoning was against the XT (this was before the XTi was announced). The grip wasn't the best (for me), and because I knew my Dad would be using this camera on occasion, I didn't want to buy a camera that he wasn't comfortable with (it was too small for him too).

I had also heard the XT (while fast at focusing) would misfocus more often than other dSLR's. No idea if this is true or not, just a hearsay. I really like the XT's image quality (high ISO quality, etc).

The XTi (when announced) was extremely interesting to me, but it seemed to be the same dimensions as the XT (too small)...of which was really my biggest factor in this purchase. Other reasons is that I heard the D80's viewfinder was much better (than both XT and XTi). To me, there are a few things that define a dSLR. One of them being good noise qualities. Another being the viewfinder. The XT (as well as the XTi's) viewfinder is relatively small and just didn't seem as nice as the D80 to me. This had churned an interesting thought in my mind, where my friend told me how difficult it was to setup a night shot with his new K100D (difficult to compose the shot and set focus)...and the K100D is supposed to have one of the best pentamirror viewfinders.

I don't doubt that the XT and XTi (might?) have better high ISO quality than the D80, but if they do, it's not by much. And not by much is enough for me to consider the other advancements on the D80worth it.

At Best Buy, I had confirmed the samller viewfinder of the XTi. But, the grip seemed slightly easier to hold (over the XT). I could actually fit my whole hand on it, whereas the XT I couldn't quite. That was nice! But, not enough to make me reconsider.

And just a little background on my throught process. I wasn't ever really considering the XT, rather the D50 and K100D. When the D80 was released, being the same size as the D50 threw it into the mix. The XTi's announcement was nice, but due to size never really caught my interest (as explained above).

In the end, the same reasoning for buying the D80 over the XTi was used for buying the D80 over the D50. High ISO quality is nice, but not everything.

Hope that helped. Don't decide on the D80, just because I did, though. They're all great camera's and have their own advantages (and weaknesses). The D80 being no exception.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:41 PM   #12

Very even-handed approach to a difficult situation.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:48 PM   #13

Maybe the better and more accurate thread title here would be "D80 vs 30D". The future Nikon D60 (or D55) will be the one competing against the XTi.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:55 PM   #14

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Maybe the better and more accurate thread title here would be "D80 vs 30D". The future Nikon D60 (or D55) will be the one competing against the XTi.
Well, while the 30D is little closer in price to the D80,it wasnevera consideration for me.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:55 AM   #15

Opps swgod98, I forgot that you got yourself the D80! :shock:

I hope you don't worry yourself with the ISO comparisons going on at dpreview, just enjoy your camera! I really envy you!!

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:45 AM   #16

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Opps swgod98, I forgot that you got yourself the D80! :shock:

I hope you don't worry yourself with the ISO comparisons going on at dpreview, just enjoy your camera! I really envy you!!

Those comparisons are quite humorous. People are claiming one camera better than the other. Then someone posts images that aren't labelled and the people claiming one camera is better accidentally say the other camera's pictures are better.

It's obvious there's no clear winner and I don't want to get bogged down in details anymore. I bought a camera and I'm having fun with it

I just wish the lens I bought had stabilization. Shoot. I guess I took it for granted with my S2 :lol:
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:01 PM   #17

From what I can see, I should try and get one lens with VR/IS but be a zoom (18-135 or whatever) and one lens with a low F-stop but maybe something more normal. Like 17-55 with <2.8f. ?

That way I have something I can zoom out to without using a tripod and something that I can use indoors without a flash? Hows my thinking? Either way I think thats gonna be exspensive... The D80 stock for $1299 will give me a great zoom lens without VR... But the 400 will be cheaper to begin with. But not so good with zoom. With stock lens. Hmm...

P.S. I saw those shots with low light. Both camera looks WAY better than my Sony 828 at 400iso! I'm actually wondering if I can trust those shots. lol. Either camera can be good. ONe looks sharper but the other looks more detailed? I can't explain it. I need to feel a D80. I felt the TXI at best buy (sold out but had one on display) and it felt small and not as confortable to hold than my Sony 828.
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote