Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:53 AM   #1

Well....there I was thinking the Panasonic was the only minicamera with a wideangle lens then I spot that the Ricoh is for sale in the UK now. I have a Olympus E-10 that is just too big to take with me on mountain biking trips or to pop intomy pocket so I need something smaller and I like the wideangle so the Panasonic looked like the camera for me. But I now see the Ricoh has a 7x zoom:shock:aswell as the 28mm wide. CourseI'm now wondering if this is just the beginning of a whole raft of minicams with wide angle lensesto hit the market and maybe I should wait until someone solves the noise issue and brings out a near faultless 28mm, big zoom pocket sized camera!?

In the meantime...which of the above is the best option?!
Heavymental is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

heavymental-

You might want to take look at the recent review of the Ricoh GR-D at dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricohgrd/

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the headsup mtclimber but I'm really looking for something a bit cheaper than that. Hopefully less than £200 sterling really.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Do have a serious look at the Ricoh - it's one of the few advantages to living in the UK (in camera matters).

However in the review I saw the lens is very big and the zoom very slow. Naturally the bigger the zoom range the harder it is to make a good lens, and as you would expect a Leica 3x zoom ended up being a whole lot better than the 7x of the Ricoh.

Does the Ricoh have th image stabiliser? I think it does, anyway, it's worth checking.

The image quality of the FX01 seemed a fair bit better than the Ricoh in the test I saw, but if you want the convenience of the zoom range starting at a wide angle then there's only one camera that can do it for you.

I ended up with the FX01 - but mainly because it's my backup/pocket camera - I also have an SLR for more "serious" work.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:21 PM   #5

Perhaps a Panasonic TZ-1 might fit the bill better.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

No wideangle lens on that one mtclimber. Thats why I have it narrowed down to the FX01 or the Ricoh R5.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:29 PM   #7

Check out the ( Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom ) at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/ ) they give it a High Rec but it may be to heavy
RegBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:33 AM   #8

Yeah nice Camera that Reg. I'd like to have that as an alternative to the E-10 but its too big too take biking. I need something pocketable/mini/cigarette packet sized really.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:54 PM   #9

Hi Heavymetal,

I was in the same boat myself earlier this year and ended up going for the R4. I've not regretted it - it's not got the performance of an SLR, but it's not got the weight or the size either. The first holiday I took it on was to Snowdonia, and it went everywhere with me as it's small enough to fit in my handbag or a coat pocket.

Having the wide angle is a godsend, the macro is much better than my last camera and I'd never buy a camera with a zoom less than 130mm regardless as I use the zoom a lot. The only criticism I'd have of it is the lack of a viewfiner. It's worth getting the leather case as the lens cover leaves do look flimsy. I got mine online from Photosense, I think it was, cost me £250 but that included the case, one batteryand a 1G card. All I've bought since is another battery. And yes, it does have IS.

The other camera I was eyeing up was the Canon S80 - if that had had a bigger zoom that might have got my vote as it seem sturdier, if slightly bigger and heavier, and I liked the idea of an in-camera stitch facility. But it only went up to 105mm or thereabouts...

Good luck,

WM

Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:35 PM   #10

Phew...glad you said that Wibblemore! I decided to get the R4 last night. My heart was in my mouth a bit when I saw the notification of a reply to this thread on my email just now, incase you said it was rubbish!:shock:

Had a quick look at the R4 in Jessops the other day (bit of a long drive hence I hadn't looked before) but they had none in so I ordered it from Amazon.Hopefully it'll arrive soon. Looking forward to getting it although I will miss not having a viewfinder as I prefer composing shots withone. Still, I will have my E-10 for the 'proper'camera fix. Sounds like a case will be a good purchase aswell but I've seen a little Crumpler one that looks good so will get one soon.

Prices have obviously come down a bit. They had the R4in Jessops on sale for £169 and I got mine on Amazon for a little less before postage. Also ordered a 1gb Viking SD card for about £11. I'm hoping the price doesn't reflect the quality! Hopefully it'll all be fine.

Cheers,

Tom