Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:27 PM   #1

I've promised my grandson a camera and I want to get the best camera for him for under $200. It needs to have a good macro function and it would be great if it would work like that camera commercial where the guy in an office is bragging on his camera and he just flips it real fast taking a picture of a flower on his desk? That would really be a great commercial if the darn thing would help me remember the name of the darned camera.

But anyways, my grandson is a very good photographer and at the same time, not all that responsible yet. So rather than get him a more expensive camera and kill him when he breaks/loses/smashes/runs over it.... I figured I'd get him the best camera for him under $200. But the more I read, the less I know.

Suggestions?

thank you,

Lollie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lolliedotcom
lolliedotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:35 PM   #2

I would recommend the Canon A530. It has all the manual features, is fast, and takes excellent pictures. So you can do as little or as much with the camera as you wish. Take a look at the review.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:37 PM   #3

Yes, the Canon A540 or A530 would do him great! Go to http://www.steves-digicams.comto look at the reviews............

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4

You might also consider one of the weatherproof Olympus Stylus models. That doesn't mean you can go submerging the camera in water, but most digital cameras can be damaged by even a small amount of water.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...us500_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:47 PM   #5

Ken and lollie-

I could be wrong, but I think, the Olympus Stylus 500 is safe in the rain, but not actually waterproof. The Pentax WPI can be taken underwater.

My recommendation for a camera for your grandson would be a Kodak Z-740 which is selling for less that $200. It has a fine macro mode and also a 10X optical zoom lens that is sure to please him. The camera can be initially operated in a fully automatic mode, but as he advances, it has a full set of manual controls as well. Here is a link to Steve's review on the Kodak Z-740.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740.html

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:06 PM   #6

I have a Z740 i was using before. Lots of options to play with Manual or full auto,Scenery ,macro ect...

The 10x optical zoom is excellent ( 380mm equiv ) and is going to give him a lot to play around with.

I feel this camera also gives you something to grow with, at a low low price.

Here is a snap, i took at ditan Park in Beijing during spring festival.

(picture resized and compressed for forum viewing )

Attached Images

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:24 PM   #7

Monx-

That is really a great photo and it really does show what the Kodak Z-740 can do. Thanks for posting a great photo sample.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote