Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11

Hi Guys

I got the recertified E550 camera via NewEgg and it was shipped to my dad. He plugged in a pair of brand new panasonic AA batteries and turned it on - but on the photo mode, the LCD goes blank according to him, and nothing happens. For the life of me I've told him everything I could think of but nothing seems to work, menu button etc, nothing works, only in play mode camera seems to work.

What I'm wondering is, is this a defect in the camera, or just a lack of power in the battery? What do you think? I suggested he get a pair of Duracell or Energizer alkaline batteries. (he's headed out to get them)...

Do you guys have any suggestions? thanks
n005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:04 PM   #12

I heard similar stories about a year ago from E550 owners and the problem seemed to be resolved when high capacity rechargeables were used. Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:57 AM   #13

Hi all

Newegg told me that I can return both camera and memory for a full refund. I might do that. (Did ask dad to try another fresh set of alkaline batteries though, maybe that will fix the problem).Other than this I guess it leaves me buying the a530 after all.

Guys, do any of you have any other suggestions for a sub $200 digital camera, if so please help. All I want is reasonable image quality and manual controls

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:37 AM   #14

I think the Canon A610 has been selling for under 200 bucks recently.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:54 PM   #15

noo5 - I just ordered the Canon A620 based on the great reviews and sample photos I saw on amazon.com. I sadly decided to return it only because I really want an ultra compact. I didn't even take it out of the box so I can't comment on it personally but the A610 and A620 certainly seem like a big bang for your buck. I was really disappointed it wasn't as small as I want. It certainly is a nice size if you don't need to fit it in your shirt pocket.

A co-worker just bought the Canon A530. Based on othe reviews I was expecting a lot more. I was shocked how average the photo quality was. (It was good indoors with the flash but not outdoors.) I'm not sure if this was a "user" problem or not. He was using the camera on Auto.

Good luck with your decision!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:27 AM   #16

Be aware that FujiFilm does not fully support their cameras. I've had an E550 for about a year and a half. Some time ago I noticed pics at the beach were way overexposed. I thought it was just too much sun/sand but over time the camera got worse and now cannot take any outside pics that are not overexposed. They also have lines throughout the image. Inside pics are barely useable. The only thing that works is the movie mode.

This is a common problem with the E550.

FujiFilm support says that if it's out of warranty too bad. It will probably cost $100+ to fix and even then I've heard that the problem does return.

Even though their customer supports admits the problem they are not supporting it. This is not your typical manufacturing defect type problem covered under warranty but a fundamental design issue. I've left a message with a customer support manager but did not even get the courtesy of a return call.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:35 AM   #17

I would suggest go for Sony S500 it's really amazing… Check out its full review here I am sure it will help u… take a decision…

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/8751...shot_dsc_s500/
Anny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:50 PM   #18

n005:

The more I see, the more I think you're right about those Lumix cameras. Yeet another group of sample pics were posted today at:
http://dcresource.com/

Once again, the daylight pics from the Lumix are clearly sharper than the others, notably the new Canons. And these are pics taken within minutes on the same day.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone offers IS and manual controls for under $300 , much less under $200 (and I'm not even sure anyone but Panasonic has IS in cameras under that price).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:24 PM   #19

Hi everyone! Idecided to go for the a530. I will tell you more when I get it. thanks for all your suggestions/advice!