Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:39 PM   #1

I am a beginner to this types of camera, but I am very good at learning this type of thing. I originally wanted a 30D but then the 400D came out. I know thatgood lenses are very important.I know the 30D is faster and takes better pictures. But as a beginner, will I notice the difference in quality before it is time to upgrade again? I plan on being in this for the long haul and I am a techie so I will probably upgrade everycouple years. I of course dont want to waste money, but if I were to go out today and but one is the 30D $300 better than the xti.

I keep waiting for steves review but with this tech stuff I get impatient.

Thanks
kevincole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

IQ wise, both will be roughly same but I haven't seen any pictures from 400d yet. If you just starting, then 400d is more than enough. I would say, go to a local store and hand hold each and see which one you like. For some, like me rebel line is too small and doesn't feel good but others prefer it to heavier 20d/30.

If money is an issue, I would buy 400d, and get better leneses.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:23 PM   #3

:|:|get the xti!! it is 10 megapixel camera, got larger lcd, self cleaning sensor. it puts 20d,30d to shame!!
astral8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:37 PM   #4

I don't think just looking at MP and the self-cleaning sensor should be the deciding factors.

You need to think about which features are important to you. I'm not all that familiar with Canon's lineup, but I believe that the 30D can take more continuous shots than the Rebel XTI. Also, you may want to look at other factors such how quickly each one auto-focuses, sensor noise (for taking pictures in low light etc.).

If you don't need the extra features in the 30D, then the Rebel XTi + lenses might be a better choice. Or even a Rebel XT + even more lenses. As with any technology things change quickly, you'll probably end up keeping your lenses, but may want to upgrad the body in a few years anyway. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with either the XTi or the 30D.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5

astral8 wrote:
Quote:
:|:|get the xti!! it is 10 megapixel camera, got larger lcd, self cleaning sensor. it puts 20d,30d to shame!!
Now, that's funny :lol: But, maybe because my priorities lie in a different area...mainly performance. Burst mode. Noise levels.

- 10 mp only serves to reduce camera performance. 8 mp is nearly identical in size.
- Larger LCD is nice, if you're a point and shooter wanting to show your friends the pictures you took.
- Self cleaning sensor saves you 10 minutes a year (from what I've heard).

Are there any other features that add to this incredible list? :lol:

I'm sure the XTi is a great camera. But, to say it puts the 20D/30D to shame is quite humorous.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:14 AM   #6

Very interestingly, the high ISO performance of the EOS 400D is really excellent!!!:OI cannot express to you how good it is.

Recently imaging-resource took some test shots with both the EOS 400D and the Nikon D80...The Canon beats the Nikon flat in the high ISO performance. Dpreview forums went crazy last few days in the discussions with defensive Nikon fans around.

The Canon 400D ISO 1600 (ISO2000)maintains smooth and clean edges while the Nikon D80 already have the edges all noise eaten and rough at the ISO 1600. The images of the Canon at ISO 1600 (2000) still look silky smooth whereabout the Nikon ones at ISO 1600 already start to look watercolor like with NR artifacts.

I have a good mind to drop the K100D for the EOS 400D!

Sorry for being over excited!! All CANON dSLRs are GREAT.

BTW, did I also mentioned? The Canon 400D also maintains more detailat the highest ISO than the Nikon D80at the highest ISO.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:43 AM   #7

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Very interestingly, the high ISO performance of the EOS 400D is really excellent!!!:OI cannot express to you how good it is.
If high ISO performance is what the OP wants, he's best off buying the 30D. He will also get a much better viewfinder, much better burst mode, and much better build quality.

But, I don't think ISO1600 is what anyone should base their decision on. There's so much more to a dSLR.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:48 AM   #8

Sorry if I went completely overboard! Actually if I want to be truthful in absolute terms, I will say that the EOS 400D is actually marginally better than the Nikon D80 at the maximum ISO test based on the last non professional test. Better here might be subjective as well.

My 2 cents.

Those test were performed by forum members anyway that may not be accurate at all.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:03 PM   #9

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Actually if I want to be truthful in absolute terms, I will say that the EOS 400D is actually marginally better than the Nikon D80 at the maximum ISO test based on the last non professional test.
After *very* careful scrutiny on my part, I could see the difference between the two and felt the XTi was a little better as well. But, it's just amazing how people can say the XTi is *way* better when the quality is so very close.

I think people just get too defensive about their camera's and then exaggerate every little detail.

Hopefully Ben, you will bite the bullet and get a camera soon. I think your viewpoints on things will change dramatically once you actually start using something. You start dealing with the camera's defficiencies (they all have some) and realize it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (regardless of the camera).
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:31 PM   #10

Ben- I like you post that you get your "data" from different websites. It shows youre just not giving a made up reason for your answers. I've been out of SLRs for about 15 years so I forgot everything.

The TXi and D80 is close when it comes to iso. not sure which why I should lean. You saw my response on the other post about len setup I was looking at. Both camera looks like it will fit my bill and my trip is coming up quick. I noticed in the sundays ads the TXi and D80 are being shown. now the stores are gonna strt running out on them. I better deside soon
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote