Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:25 AM   #1

...I just found this.

http://www.profotos.com/pros/profile....cfm?member=27

Look at his method and the results that he gets. Wow. Who needs a ten megapixel rebel, now?
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:31 AM   #2

Ballpointpenner wrote:
Quote:
...I just found this.

Look at his method and the results that he gets. Wow. Who needs a ten megapixel rebel, now?
I like his work, but the images are a bit small so they are not a good example of whether or not someone is better off with more megapixels.

Having said that, I get decent results with 6 megapixels on my DSLR, which is about the right amount for it's sensorsize. Increasing the megapixel capablity of my sensor would increase resolution, but also increase unwanted noise.BTW, I also get great results on my 6.3 MP Fuji F30 compact camera, which has a much smaller sensor.

Most consumersdon't need 10 megapixel and a lot that think they do, don't understand that sensor size is a big factor. 10 meagpixel is great for poster size prints or people who like to crop their images severly, but again, 10 Meagpixel by itself is not the answer. I personally wouldn't get a 10 megapixel camera unless it was a full frame DSLR. There are some 10 Megapixel cameras with fairly large sensors that do OK, mostly DSLRs, but I still think 10 megapixel in anything but a large format is overkill and do not always provide desirable results.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:13 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Some pictures don't need high resolution, but from a tiny web graphic you can't tell very much.

The proof is in the print.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:26 AM   #4

OK, what I was trying to get at was not that higher megapixels are not useful -- they can be... I was just pointing to the fact that one can create very good pictures with a budget point and shoot (actually, though I am shopping for a DSLR, my camera at the moment is still my 2 megapixel hp p&s). If a budget ps can be that good, then there really is very little point to all the discussions which are trying to split hairs on which dslr is actually better right now. Better spend that time taking pictures with whatever you've got already.
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:33 AM   #5

Very nice wallet size pictures.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:53 PM   #6

I still use my Canon G2 (4MP)for when I want the best pics I can take. It's slow, not good in low light, and it's LCD is that good (it sucks), but I love the quality it takes. I can shoot in RAW, have an external flash, and use filters. Yeah its old and I'll replace it with a dSLR someday, but in the meantime....why replace something that works so good.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

Ballpointpenner wrote:
Quote:
...I just found this.

I do, better for cropping plus you can turn it down. Still going to use my p&s for times where I wouldn't be comfortable with a $$ camera.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote