Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1

Hello, would appreciate some advice in choosing between 2 cameras.

I seem to be debating back and forth between the Canon S80 and the Fuji F30. Both have gotten decent reviews.

I'm basically looking for a camera that is small enough to fit into my pants pocket while wandering around theme parks snapping photos, but at the same time has attractive features.

I also want a camera that will work well (with little intervention from me) in low-light settings. With halloween coming up, I'm excited about snapping some photos at the Florida theme park night time events.

I really like the new menuing system in the Canon S80, and the fact that it's an 8mp camera. However, I'm beginning to learn that it's not necessary to really go too far beyond a 6mp camera to get decent sized prints (I'll probably never go higher than 8x10), so the megapixels may not really be that key in deciding between the two.

The Fuji F30 doesn't have as many exciting features or menus, but has been highly rated for its ability to perform in low light situations (although, big question - in low light, indoors,WITH a flash, on an "auto" setting, will it still do better than other cameras?).

These are the questions I'm going back and forth with. Oh, and I want to buy it TODAY.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: I like the Canon photo software (I think, based on what I've seen on the web)better than the Fuji's, and the wider angle of the S80 lens is anattractive feature.

Borgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:49 AM   #2

If you're going to be shooting in low light with flash, the S80 will do just fine. For your Halloween pictures, it will probably be too dark outdoors to shoot without flash (unless you're taking pictures of fireworks), even for the F30.

Where the F30 really shines is when you want to shoot in low light without flash, without having to use a tripod.For example, indoors with artificial lighting, or limited natural light, or outdoors in the shade or under overcast skies, or at dawn or dusk. The F30 is able to do this because of its higher ISO capability. The S80, I believe, only has a max. ISO of 400, and it's a pretty grainy one at that. But if you're shooting with flash, you can keep it at ISO 80 or 100, maybe even 200, and your pictures will turn out just fine, as long as your subjects are within flash range.

Edited to add: With respect to your Halloween pictures, the high ISO capability of the F30 would probably help preserve the background details of the theme park lights better than with the S80. But in terms of properly exposing the kids in their costumes, either camera should do fine when shooting with flash.

Stephanie

--------------------

My Fujifilm FinePix F30and F10galleries

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:07 AM   #3

Borgus wrote:
Quote:
Hello, would appreciate some advice in choosing between 2 cameras.

I seem to be debating back and forth between the Canon S80 and the Fuji F30. Both have gotten decent reviews.

I'm basically looking for a camera that is small enough to fit into my pants pocket while wandering around theme parks snapping photos, but at the same time has attractive features.

I also want a camera that will work well (with little intervention from me) in low-light settings. With halloween coming up, I'm excited about snapping some photos at the Florida theme park night time events.

I really like the new menuing system in the Canon S80, and the fact that it's an 8mp camera. However, I'm beginning to learn that it's not necessary to really go too far beyond a 6mp camera to get decent sized prints (I'll probably never go higher than 8x10), so the megapixels may not really be that key in deciding between the two.

The Fuji F30 doesn't have as many exciting features or menus, but has been highly rated for its ability to perform in low light situations (although, big question - in low light, indoors,WITH a flash, on an "auto" setting, will it still do better than other cameras?).

These are the questions I'm going back and forth with. Oh, and I want to buy it TODAY.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: I like the Canon photo software (I think, based on what I've seen on the web)better than the Fuji's, and the wider angle of the S80 lens is anattractive feature.

Indoors with a flash minimizes most the difference bewteen cameras.

I can't speak for anything but what I own and I own an F30. I did all the research in the world when I was looking for a compact camera but ended buying a DSLR. I then realized that although I love shooting with a DSLR that I still needed something I could carry in my pocket or on my belt for those times a DSLR was not convenient. Also,there was no way my wife was gonna use my DSLR.I did more research, heard good things about the Fuji F10 and then the F30 came out. The lowlight capabillties of the Fuji F30 I noticed in reviews and by owners photos thatI gave up to important features that I swore I wouldn't give up.That was image stabilization and an optical viewfinder.

I could not be happier with my choice. I'm not saying it is the best compact point and shoot camera out there, or but it does what I need it to do and does it well. I also find the range of the lensquite adequate for my needs.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I got impatient yesterday and I went ahead and ordered the F30. What you allare saying aboutthe F30 is exactly what I've read from other reviews. It might not be the "perfect" camera in terms of features (but what digital compact is going to be?), but it really outshines other compacts when it comes to the low-light capabilitiesbecause of the high ISO.

I've owned 3 or 4 digital compacts in my life, and none of them is ever the "perfect" solution (some have features I want, and others don't), but image quality is becoming more important to me with each purchase, and since I know I want to take a lot of indoor/outdoor shots in reduced lighting, the F30 seems like it will do the job better than most. I would LOVE to have a DSLR (especially now that the price points between good DSLR's and compacts are getting closer), but it's not practical to lug a DSLR around a theme park.

I'm disappointed that the compact digitals seem to be trending towards having no viewfinder. Or is that just my imagination?

For you that own the F30, do you find that you miss image stablization? Does it really help that much?

Also, one thing that intrigued me about the F30 was the feature where it will snap two shots right together - one without flash, and one with flash, so you can increase your odds of getting a good shot.
Borgus is offline   Reply With Quote