Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

Has anybody heard any News Reviews or Bad or Good things about the two new Fuji Digital Cameras = Finepix S9100 or S6500fd
RegBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:45 PM   #2

Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

There are three sites online taking orders now for the S6000/S6500, but they are all saying it won't actually ship for 10 days. The S9100 doesn't seem to be available yet.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:10 PM   #4

I think i like to read a few in-depth hands on reviews on both Fuji's by an independent expert, before i start parting with my hard earned cash.Lets hope someone checks them out soon.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:56 AM   #5

Judging from F30 performance, I really think that the S6500 will be a very special P&S camera. It will easily outperform anything Panny/Canon/Sony/(not-to-mention)Kodak has to throw at them.

As for the S9100, I am really curious to see the improved noise level.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:31 AM   #6

I went to my local Computer store and he was taking orders for the S6500 for $565 Australian Dollars, and the older S9000-S9500 is still being sold here in some larger stores for $800 Australian Dollars,but i am still hanging on for a decent review just to be sure.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:45 AM   #7

While I am really interested in seeing how this model does, I was disappointed to see from the specs that it won't have manual controls--meaning at least an apperture and shutter priority mode. I assumed it would.

link

Why would they make a camera with these capabilities, nice range of ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, and even manual focus, then leave out manual controls over aperture and shutter?

I think some of the less experienced shooters would still opt for the Canon or Sony models with optical IS; I assumed this camera would be more the choice of enthusiasts. Instead they made it a point and shoot only?

Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8

I may be wrong.... But I was under the impression that the s6000 was more than just a point and shoot camera with manual controls just like the s9000.

If this is true than it is basically an f30 but with a bigger body.
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:24 PM   #9

Basically, it is a F30 with a great lens and with manual zoom.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:38 PM   #10

The F30 has aperture and shutter priority modes.

I assumed the S6000fd would, but it doesn't appear to. I first was surprised to see this in the listing at dcresource:
Manual controls: Exposure compensation, focus
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=893

That's it. I thought maybe they made a mistake. So I went and checked the official website. I see no mention anywhere of manual controls. Apperture and Shutter priority, and manual modes are conpicously absent from the list of shooting modes in the above link. They are listed there for the F30 or the S9000. On the S9100 spec sheet, there's a seperate section that lists Exposure Modes, which lists A/S and manual modes. That also lists under apperture range, and under shutter speed, that those ranges are manually selectable. None of that's there for the s6000fd.

I also see no mention in the press release anouncing the model. They mention only manual focus. You can also do a comparison of models, and it doesn't show there either. So far I only see the 15 scene modes, auto mode, picture stabilization mode, and movie mode listed for this model. I'd love to see a photo of the mode dial.

link

What are they trying to do, force reviewers to actually use the picture stabilization mode before they review it?