Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:35 AM   #1

I have been looking at buying a digital camera. I want one that will take give good images at 7 x 5 size and good to reasonable images at around A4 size. I first looked at the Kodak V610 but found when I tried it that there was something strange about the focussing, I was then going to go for a Sony but have since almost settled on the Canon Ixus 800. Can anyone tell me whether they think this is a good camera - I'm going crazy looking at all the different ones. All I really want is the picture quality, nothing too large so I will carry it about with me and something not too complicated or fiddly to use. I have a film Canon SLR camera at the moment and I know the picture won't be as good but I would like as near as possible in a compact digital camera.
caz152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:53 PM   #2

I think the IXUS 800 is probably the best pure point and shoot ultracompact on the market.

As an SLR user, you might also appreciate the manual controls, and higer ISO performance of the Fuji F30. But it also lacks the optical viewfinder and image stabilization of the Canon, and has a few more issues in bright outdoor light, mainly a bit too prone to purple fringing, especially in pictures which include tree branches against a bright sky.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...sd700_pg5.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...i_f30_pg5.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:56 AM   #3

Glad to read your reply as I decided to buy one and it was delivered this week. So far it seems a great camera. Thanks.
caz152 is offline   Reply With Quote