Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1

Hello, I am a complete and utter novice to all things camera related, but decided to buy my first digital camera. I have been researching as best I can even though the more I read, the more confused I seem to become, especially on technical specs.

That said, I think I have narrowed down my choices.
My requirements are under $500, high quality super zoom and macro mode (at least I think so). I will be using the camera mostly for bird watching, wildlife, and plant close-ups. There will be use inside for people as well.

I must have sound video capture and really want continuous shooting ability.

The cameras I'm considering are:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 or FZ30
Kodak EasyShare P880

If anyone can give me any help or advice for the kinds of pics I want to take, I'd be very very grateful! I'm off to by a digicams for dummies book so I can understand the sites I'm using for research. :?

Thanks very much,

Maureen
Maureen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2

Hi Maureen,

Those are good choices, but I'd also recommend the Canon Powershot S3 IS. If I were in the market for a super-zoom, it's the one I'd get. Here's a review on it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

Good luck deciding!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:53 PM   #3

If I were you I'd take a look at the Fujis: S6500 and S9100. If you need indoor then you need high ISOs and nobody in P&S does a better job at that than Fuji.
If you asked my I'd go for the S6500. Even if it has a lower no. of pixels, you get that great lens (both wide and tele) and you get that awesome 6.3MP SuperCCD sensor that has been working miracles on the F30. The only downside to Fuji (that I can see) is that is used xD cards which are only used by Fuji and Olympus, but other than that it's perfect weather all the way.
Cheers and best of luck with your purchase!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:21 PM   #4

...and fuji doesn't have image stablization
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:03 PM   #5

Sibling Chris wrote:
Quote:
:lolptical stabilization is nothing without high ISO performance

do some more research on the matter and learn how one influences the other.

cheers!

p.s. it goes without saying that if fuji had optical stabilization it would be even better but as things stand, competitors can't touch fuji, even if it lack OS.

Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:32 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input; actually the cannon S3 was on my list but I was concerned about what seems to be a smaller area in macro mode. However, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

I still have a great deal of reading to do!

Thanks,

Maureen

Maureen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:42 PM   #7

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Sibling Chris wrote:
Quote:
:lolptical stabilization is nothing without high ISO performance

do some more research on the matter and learn how one influences the other.

cheers!

p.s. it goes without saying that if fuji had optical stabilization it would be even better but as things stand, competitors can't touch fuji, even if it lack OS.

Since you already did the research, can you explain your theory? Aperture, shutter, speed, ISO speed and OS all influence our final output, but not having high ISO doesn't mean that OS isn't effective.

I agree the Fujis are great performers.I even own an F30 and it performs very well without OS, but I think it is stretching it quite a bit to say thatOS is nothing without high ISO or that competitors can't touch Fuji. If that were true,then that wouldsuggest that I don't need OS when I use my DSLR at low ISO or that it doesn't have advantage using it.

Simply stated: Not True..... OS is effectivewithout high ISO.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:35 PM   #8

thanks gozinta very well put

my intention was not to say Fuji is rubbish I was just pointing out thatOS/IS is something else to consider

as I said in another thread there is no such thing as the perfect camera in this category, unfortunately. you just have to weigh up the pros and cons of each and consider what your use of the camera will be for. Iconsidered getting afuji due to low light performance, but in the end I decided other features on other cameras were worth sacrificing that for....but thats just me......
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:45 PM   #9

Fuji is probably best for dark indoor shots, however high ISO won't help you much with bird watching, wildlife, and plant close-ups. And do you mean only the occasional indoor people shots? If so, a flash will be fine, and usually the Image Stabilization would make the flash unneeded anyways. Good indoor lighting and you can use a 1/25 or 1/40 shutter speed, and with IS, you'll get no blur with speeds like that.

I wouldn't recommend the P880, however the P850 sounds like a good camera for you, it has more than double the zoom range of the P880 (despite what many people think, the P880 is NOT a superzoom, it is a wide angle camera with a decent, but not great amount of telephoto).

I use the Kodak P850 and it is great for bird shots such as this one:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...28small%29.jpg

Plant shots are very easy with it as well:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...28Small%29.jpg

And wildlife is no problem!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...pyright%29.jpg

Those are only a few sample photos! My blog www.keilansblog.blogspot.com has many more.

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:17 AM   #10

Gozinta, the OP referred to the fact that he/she wants to take pictures of people indoors. Well, as P&S go, usable high ISOs are way more important than OS. I used to have and use a FZ30 and I know what I'm talking about. Now, when we're referring to dSLRs, then we're talking a whole new different pie-cake.DSLRs already have a decent high ISO performance. OScomes in handy when you're doing tele shooting. BUT,if I were to choose between anoisy camera (like Panasonic, Kodak and even Canon)with OS and a "clean" camera (Fuji) lacking OS, guess which one I would choose? So, speaking from this point of view, the OS is negligeablecomparedto ISO performance. At least as far as P&S go and referring to Maureen99's expectations of use from that particular camera. Too many newbie's are fooled by OS when it comes to picking a "do-it-all" P&S.

I'd still go for the S6500. That camera would provide both tele (bird shooting, 300mm equiv.) and wide (indoor shooting, 28mm equiv.(!)) while delivering the goods as far as high ISO performance is concerned (at least that is what is expected as long as it uses the same sensor configuration as the F30) so that OS would never be missed.