Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:59 PM   #11

Hey, there are no guarantees for us despite our extensive research. If you get the Pentax and it doesn't work out, you should be able to get the other slightly more expensive DSLR's at Circuit City. I have a Pentax *ist DS and it is pretty good at macros.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:57 AM   #12

I really don't think you should buy the floor model at Circuit City, $519 isn't that great of a price, especially for an SLR that people have played with, may have taken the lens off, and may have put their fingers on the mirror etc. There is a very high likelihood that the sensor will be dirty.

I am partial to the Pentax because I own a DL. In the current market, I wouldn't pay $519 + tax for a floor model though. The Pentax 6MP SLRs use the same sensor as the Nikon D50 and the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D (as well as other 6MP out there). As there is a $100 rebate on the DL, it looks like supplies are running dry, and prices have gone up. A few months ago a brand new DL could have been had for the $519 price.

I would look at buying online, and not worrying so much about returning the camera, tax + the restocking fee at Circuit City make it a lousy deal (plus as mentioned above I wouldn't by an SLR that was on display).

If you're willing to buy on ebay from TriState Camera, you can get a brand new Pentax ist DS for $479 + 30 shipping. Also, Butterfly photo online has the K100D with Shake reduction for under $600 + shipping. I'd pick the K100D if it fits your budget, otherwise the DS over the display model DL.

intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:20 AM   #13

Okay well I ended up with a Nikon D50. Well see how it turns out. Will post some photos soon.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and no more making me feel bad that I made the wrong descision lol!
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:11 AM   #14

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
DO NOT BUY an display unit unless if they have it locked up in a cage or something. A dslr sensor is too sentive and if they have it out in the open, you dont know what some people will do. Sometimes they have the body without the lense just sitting there, many non-camera only store does this.
I bought a Circuit City demo and it had the lens attached with a plastic tie in such a fashion that the lens could not be removed. It had no accesories but I only bought it as a backup camera body and only paid half the cost of a new. I agree though that if if it was just sittingthere without a lens, it could be trouble. They arereturnable if there is a problem.

The beauty of the display model I bought was that since they sold it for 265 dollars, an extra year warranty only cost me 7 dollars.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:12 AM   #15

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I like the Pentax, too. However, I think you should keep in mind that Circuit City charges 15% restocking fees if you return a digital camera to them UNLESS you buy something of equivalent or greater value in exchange. I learned this after buying a MiniDVD camcorder there last month.
Just for clarification, their restocking chargedoes not apply to floor models or open box units.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:12 PM   #16

Well one nice thing about buying it at circuit city and then getting the accidental protection plan for 4 years and I am quoting two sales employees. Naturally if you drop it accidentally you are gauranteed a full replacement of equal or better value.

Now they basically told me at the end of the 4 years to purposefully drop the camera and I will get a full replacement. Of course its an extra $100. Now Im not saying Im going to follow their advice so no flames please.

Again thanks for all the help.
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:43 PM   #17

Where do you live?

419 for a floor model is eeeeh. Who knows what kind of abuse it's been through.

I bought my DL brand new for a total of 478 (after MIR)

Except for the ugly, canada-only silver body, i have been completely satisfied with it.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote