Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1

I bought my first camera a kodak dx4530, it was one of the first 5.0MP at the time that i bought it, i think 3-4 years ago. I enjoyed it, I found it to drain batterys often, but i didn;t use nimh 2500, just regualr batteries.

What i dont like about that camera was its big and bulky kinda. I paid 300+ for the camera so i didn't wanna take it out much due to fear of damage.

I'm looking for a camera, mainly a point and shoot like my dx4530 but maybe a little more options since i found this site and i wanted to learn a little mroe about digi photography. I'm a mechanic and i want to bring the camera with me to work. The camera needs to be able to handle some of the elements. Mainly i'll just leave it in my toolbox throw it in the back seat or so. i'm not using it for anything serious. POint and shoot whatever pictures i need to show damages on vechiles or leaks and stuff like that. on the weekends i would like to take close up pictures for ebay selling items. randomly just goofing off with friends as well. I kinda wanted to make a photo blog.

With a budget of near $150 or so. I have a lot of spare MMC/SD/ mini SD cards laying around and i would like to use them but its not a must have.

Given all this info what would one recommend me for a camera.
bowlofturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:03 AM   #2

its unlikely a normal camera could survive being tossed around so best to handle with care..

Beyond that it depends on what features you want. If its just point and shoot there are so many options. Newegg had a Fuji finepix digital camera for just $99 (can't remember which) it was 3.3 megapixels or so, also there are lots of 5 mp cameras for around $120 - $150. I suggest you check amazon or newegg and pick one that you like.

As for reviews, browse through steves reviews for some excellent reviews, and you can compare the sample photos.

ps: before you buy do check the forums/google for any problems the camera may have. Some cameras have known problems and its very frustating to end up with one.

good luck, hope this was helpful.
n005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:10 AM   #3

Nice basic camera for about $150 is nikon l4 4 mp 3x optical.

Very basic very easy to use. can probalby find camera for cheaper. i buy alot from ritz camera because i am brutal on equipment and they have an extended warranty that covers everything but theft or loss. if you breakit or drop it they will repair or replace. only down fall is that it takes about 6-8 weeks to get the camera back.

Helped a friends girlfriend pick one out and she got it and loves it. says it is really easy to use. also should use same mem card as your kodak and it is AA as well.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

If you really want a camera with some resistance to water, dust, dirt, etc., you might try a weatherproof model like an Olympus Stylus 600. You lose a bit in image quality, but I don't think there's another model in that range that's as durable. But it won't take your SD cards, either.

I think you might be better off, though , getting something like a Canon A530 or a Kodak Easyshare C533, C330, or C433, and handling it a bit more carefuly and getting yourself a good case to protect it.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

well i mean its my $150 investment and i'll try not to abuse it or anything but i mean i just wanted to state the type of enviroment its and hopefully you guys can steer me away for the easily broken ones and more on the solid build ones.

I was looking at a fuji a530 for about 100$ and i'll pick up a 512mb or 256mb for cheap and still probaly be under 150$. Is that camera more of just a point and shoot or can i have a little more options than my kodak?

bowlofturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6

I am again going to recommend the Canon A430 as a good value budget camera, easily cost less that US$150.

It has 4 MP (good for making up to 8 X 10" prints), uses 2 AA batteries (so no expensive battery packs), uses SD cards you already have, quite small (thickness of AA battery), 39 - 156 mm (35 mm camera equivalent) zoom (average wide angle but longer telephoto zoom for a point & shoot), ISO up to 400 (noise is rather high which is typical of Canon's P&S, but despite noise, the image is good and sharp. It does not have heavy noise reduction like other brands which may make the color smudgy and edges blurry - noise vs. noise reduction artefacts is, however, individual's taste). Flash is weak just like most small budget P&S cameras.

The LCD is rather small (1.8"), but this may be to your advantage with your "rough" handling. If this gets scratched you can still shoot pictures through the viewfinder. I did take a look at this camera at the store (no I am not going to buy another camera, damn!!!) - it has a plastic case but appears to be well-built, particularly the battery/ memory card compartment door (with an extra lock to secure).

Both Steve and imaging-resource have a review (Steve's is more user/ feel oriented; image-resource gives more technical stuff):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a430.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A430/A430A2.HTM
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote