Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1

I currently have a FinePix A310 and am looking to upgrade. While I like the camera it has only 3 megapixel resolution and I am limited to 4x6 prints.

I have been looking at the newer FinePix models and also Olympus Stylus (600 or 710) but see that none of the models I am interested in have a viewfinder. They require the use of the LCD to compose pictures.

Will I miss having the viewfinder? All of my previous cameras have had viewfinders and I'm wondering how much of a learning curve there is to use the LCD instead. Is it a problem in bright sunlight? I also wear bifocals and wonder if that will be an issue as well.

Has anyone gone from viewfinder to LCD only? Did it work for you? Am I just being too attached to what I've always had or is it easier to use a viewfinder?

I don't really have too many needs in a camera. It needs to be easy to operate, auto focus, small enough for a coat pocket (but not credit card sized), I'd prefer standard AAbatteries, and I'd like 6 megapixel or more. A viewfinder would be nice. I take just your basic vacation and family snapshots -- nothing fancy.

Any suggestions for cameras to purchase or comments on LCD vs. viewfinder?
CaroleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2

I had to laugh while reading your post, because I am the exact opposite situation. I am about to buy a DSLR, and with those you can't use the LCD as a viewfinder. You have to use the optical viewfinder to take the shot. I'm actually nervous about that because for the last few years, I've gotten so used to using the LCD that I actually prefer it. I honestly think it's just whatever you get used to. Good luck!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

I like my F30, but if you want AA batteries and a viewfinder, and don't need it to fit in a jeans pocket, you should probably look at the Canon A series, such as the A530, A540, and A700.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I had to laugh while reading your post, because I am the exact opposite situation. I am about to buy a DSLR, and with those you can't use the LCD as a viewfinder. You have to use the optical viewfinder to take the shot. I'm actually nervous about that because for the last few years, I've gotten so used to using the LCD that I actually prefer it. I honestly think it's just whatever you get used to. Good luck!
Have you ever tried through DSLR with good viewfinder? Olympus, Nikon D50, Canon 350D and 400D (aka Rebel XT and XTi) doesn't fall into this category? Well, try to do that (Nikon D80, Pentax K100D) and you'll understand how much better they are than LCD screens.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:03 AM   #5

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever tried through DSLR with good viewfinder? Olympus, Nikon D50, Canon 350D and 400D (aka Rebel XT and XTi) doesn't fall into this category? Well, try to do that (Nikon D80, Pentax K100D) and you'll understand how much better they are than LCD screens.

I agree, a good optical viewfinder is so much better.

I don't see how would anyone can takeaction shots in continous mode with an LCD or an EVF and compose the shots correctly.That alone killsthe idea of an using the LCD or even an EVF. The other problem inherent problem with LCDs and EVFs is that it is difficult to focus manually or even tell if the autofocus is on the money. I have actually seen shots that look good on the LCD but much too soft when later examing the photos. A good viewfinder is much more accurate.

On a camera like a compact point and shoot, I can live without it because they are too small to be of much value.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:14 AM   #6

Oh don't get me wrong....I'm sure I will like using the optical viewfinder much more than using an LCD. But not until I get used to it. I know a good optical viewfinder issuperior. I've just gotten so used to using an LCD to compose shots, that it actually feels strange for me to hold a camera up to my face. I'm sure that once I'm used todoing that, it will feel wierd to hold a camera out in front of me to take a shot.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:53 AM   #7

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong....I'm sure I will like using the optical viewfinder much more than using an LCD. But not until I get used to it. I know a good optical viewfinder issuperior. I've just gotten so used to using an LCD to compose shots, that it actually feels strange for me to hold a camera up to my face. I'm sure that once I'm used todoing that, it will feel wierd to hold a camera out in front of me to take a shot.
Your shots at slower speeds should also improve as it is only natural that using a viewfinder tends to provide the oppourtunity to take steadier shots, although I have amazed myself with the results I get with my ultra compact.

Factor in the IS of the K100D and you have little left in the way of excuses for blurry shots with the exception of subject motion. Now all you have to do is go out and buy one. Of course, by then the price will go up and you will have to check the prices three times a day to see if they drop.:blah:

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:11 AM   #8

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Now all you have to do is go out and buy one. Of course, by then the price will go up and you will have to check the prices three times a day to see if they drop.:blah:
I know, I know!!! I have some good news in that area. The item that I needed to sell in order to get my camera should be sold by this weekend (woo-hoo!!). A guy looked at it yesterday and he says he definitely wants it, but he can't pay me till Saturday. And of course my wife would strongly prefer that I not order the camera until I have the cash in hand. I know she's right, but I don't like it.