Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:36 PM   #1

I see that the Samsung is a re-badged istDL

I have owned a D50 before, if I got the Samsung, what sort of difference if any would i see. I know the D50 has a good reputation amd i found it very responsive, could the samsung match it.

I shoot in finest JPEG.

thanks Norm
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2

I believe the Samsung is in fact a rebadged DL2 so it has a few features the DL lacks, like 5 focus points instead of three. The Samsung can match the photo quality of the Nikon, and has a better viewfinder but the D50 has much better continuous shooting performance and a more reliable auto white balance. These two cameras are very close in overall performance, comes down to personal preference.

Ira Pentax DL owner.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:01 AM   #3

Personally, I think the Samsung is a joke. Never really liked copycats.

Better settle for a Pentax. At least you know you're buying the real thing.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:52 AM   #4

Eh?

The Samsung *is* the Pentax *ist DL2, just with a different badge on the front and a (slightly) different kit lens, I believe.

I'd suggest trying both out in a shop - I found that the Samsung felt more substantial and solid, and was significantly cheaper as well. Very pleased with it!
Borusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5

Thanks, I just picked up the samsung. It was a two lens kit (with a hood for each) for £400 - amazing price.

From what I can gather, it is basically a rebadged Pentax. I am really happy about that as it looks like Pentax (K mount) lenses are very future proof as the company to date has ensured that ALL previous Pentax lenses can still be used on their bodies. I also hope that the Pentax / Samsung union, helps keep Pentax in the top 3 as the DSLR market looks to have a lot of competition on the horizon and with Sony and panasonic joining the fray, something has to give at some point.

I have not had the chance to really usethe Samsungproperly but my first impression is that the image quality is superb and that the auto focus is sligtly slower than my old D50 - but no real surprises there, since the D50 is known for it's speed.

The camera feels quite light and compact - so is a good walk around system.

Again, thanks for taking the tgrouble to respond - your advice made a sale.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:34 PM   #6

Hey ... 400£ for a two lense kit !!!
Where did u pick it up from ?

--
Gaggn
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:09 PM   #7

Kamera Direct is a high street store that also does the internet thing.

They run an advert in most of the monthly mags nd their prices are really keen - also a good service if you call in.

Tel: 01744 453111

Web: WWW.bestcameras.co.uk

Their prices can move up / down daily by a few pounds.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:18 PM   #8

Great deal Norm.

I have only had little time to play with and handle the samsung here in china, but i definatly like it!( found it heavy yet comfortable in my hand )I myself have a D50 but but i sometimes miss the iso3200 option of the GX-1L!

Now go take some pictures and post them here
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:12 AM   #9

Well ... I had bought a Canon 350D from a site called EATAY.COM. Its somehow related to Rankhour.
I returned it becasue I could not find any Warranty artefacts in the box. Seemingly, it wasnt a valid UK
supply. I couldnt register the product on Canon UK website. I think it was a grey import.

What about Best Cameras ? Are they reliable ? The box that you got ... was it a proper UK/Europe supply ?
I might buy from Best Cameras if they are reliable

I just wanna buy a DSLR soon ... and just thought I might pick it from the friendly Jessops. I might
end up paying 20 - 30 £ more but still I'd be satisfied with what I buy.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:12 PM   #10

Gaggu, Kamera Direct is a family high street camera shop that has been in St. Helens for years.

They must be doing something right as they have survived as an independent camera shopAND serve internet customers.I have bought my last 3 cameras from them.

Having met the staff on a face to face basis,I have found them to be both helpful and friendly.