Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1

So I'm looking for ultracompacts that can do good low-light shooting. That means more than anything fast and accurate autofocus, decent high iso performance.

Here are the models I am looking into:

Pentax Optio S5i/z/n
Pentax Optio S6
Fuji Finepiz Z1/Z2/Z3
Sony DSC-W50/W70

All of these can be had decently cheap online, and media cost is a non-issue.

Which do you recommend? This will be the camera that's a permanent fixture in my pocket, so size is of utmost importance.

I already have an *ist DL which i adore for all my important/good pics.... this camera is just for posting online/showing to friends... not archival!

Any and all opinions are welcome. Oh - and preferably no canon ever. Google powershot and E18 and see how many hits you get. My SD10 died falling off a desk onto a plush carpet. Something so fragile cannot be exprected to survive every day in a pocket/backpack.

Unless someone can confirm that the latest Canon models are immune to E18 of course.

Originally I wanted the Optio a10 with SR, but it's a pretty lousy/slow camera from what I've seen. Pity.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:10 AM   #2

Fuji F20 or F30.

Not quite as thin as the others mentioned, but in a different class altogether in low light high ISO performance. My F30 goes in one pocket, my wallet in the other.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:54 PM   #3

Hi,

Looked at the f30 - it simply won't do

I have an XM radio, wallet, cell phone, and a huge set of keys in my pocket, unless the camera is ultra-small, i won't take it with me, no matter how good the pictures are

Apparently the z3 is very good at iso400 too. the pentax are the smallest of the bunch.

Anyone have any experiences?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:20 AM   #4

Hmm

Looks like NV3 is out. The MP3 portion requires a nonstandard headphone connector, which simply is not convenient.