Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:53 AM   #11

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
When didauto-focusing lenses for Pentax cameras first become available?
I am not 100% sure but wasn't Pentax who made first in the worls SLR with AF?
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:25 AM   #12

I asked this question since I too am looking to purchase a budget DSLR soon. I like the fact that Pentax designs there cameras so that they can use older lenses as well as the new ones. However, I am not so sure I would want to purchase a lense that is so old that it doesn't have AF. I have no idea when the first lenses where made with AF for Pentax cameras. If it was since 10 years ago, then I'd assume I could get a good deal on a 10 year old lens.

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:41 PM   #13

I have no idea when Pentax first started to make AF lenses. I got a Pentax ME in 1980 and it was manual focus. I'm still using two of the lenses around the same time - both are very fast lenses (a 24mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4). It seems to me that I bought an auto focus zoomlens (which would still work as a manual focus on my manual ME camera) in something like either the late 1980s or early 1990. That was my all-time favorite lens until I dropped it and a gear broke - they said it couldn't be repaired when I took it in this year. I, personally, find the viewfinder on the K100D bright and big enough for manual focusing, especially wide angle lenses, but you might not. And it did take some practice - I got really used to using AF on the F717 I used to have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:23 PM   #14

Pentax started to make AF K mount lenses in the end of eighties of XX century. Almost 20 years ago. In 1987 they were already producing them.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:06 PM   #15

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
I asked this question since I too am looking to purchase a budget DSLR soon. I like the fact that Pentax designs there cameras so that they can use older lenses as well as the new ones. However, I am not so sure I would want to purchase a lense that is so old that it doesn't have AF. I have no idea when the first lenses where made with AF for Pentax cameras. If it was since 10 years ago, then I'd assume I could get a good deal on a 10 year old lens.

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Trust me (i'd never used a manual lens before owning the pentax ist DL) it is a whole new, wonderful world that you open up with a fast manual prime lens, they take amazing pictures. (i have4 lenses, 2 manual primes, the f2 50mm [$20] i have is used about 50% of the time out of all of them! others - Kit 18-55mm, Sigma 28-200mm [$75], Vivitar 28mm f2.8 [macro - $20]) i've had the camera 2 months and have already bought and sold 3 other lenses on top of that list that i didn't like...that is the beauty of being able to buy old, obscenely cheap lenses on ebay and other sites.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote