Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1

Hello, i am a beginner photographer, have been shooting with my Canon a400 for a few years now and now im going to buy something better. Having read all sorts of reviews and thing i turn here for your opinions. Which of them is better. What concerns me about the k100d was that there was a issue with auto white balance setting, shooting indoor, under tungsten lightning. And in dim lightning conditions itsometimes gets slow? And then EOS 350d, is it without the IS above the k100d?

Thank You
Raigo
-raigo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Both camera's will have some minor issues, such as the one you listed...and though the XT has fast focusing, I hear it is not as accurate 100% of the time.

My personal choice would be the K100D. Most of that choice is due to handling issues and viewfinder size.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:08 AM   #3

Thanks swgod98, any other ideas?
BR
-raigo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:05 AM   #4

Hey .. my pick would be the XT. Canon is known for it quality pictures. Plus i find the size of the XT not to be a problem for me. I have never used the Pentax but according to the reviews i have read, Digital noise is more noticable once you get up to ISO 800 and above. Canons digital noise is still very good at800 ISO and above. Plus now that Canon has released the XTi the XT should be able to be found at a cheaper price then before.
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:34 AM   #5

If you make a comaprision between photos taken under the same light conditions and at the same ISO (1600) you will find out that, in fact there is no difference between those two cameras.
The samples to compare are right here, on this site.

scotiez wrote:

Quote:
I have never used the Pentax but according to the reviews i have read, Digital noise is more noticable once you get up to ISO 800 and above. Canons digital noise is still very good at800 ISO and above.
netcupeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:57 PM   #6

scotiez wrote:
Quote:
Hey .. my pick would be the XT. Canon is known for it quality pictures.
Canon is definitely known for it's high ISO quality (ie. low noise). The K100D is no slouch though, and unless you're splitting hairs, it shouldn't be noticeable.

The K100D's main advantage is the shake reduction. While not necessary, it has proven to help users snap pictures that couldn't otherwise be taken (given circumstances). I find the stabilization invaluable in many situations, as it can turn a careless shot (which I'm known for, but don't tell anyone!)into a perfect one.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:23 PM   #7

Firstly, both cameras will be very good.

So practicalities become more impoprtant than technicalities .i.e. which one feels best in your hands etc.

Also, since you are just starting out and have not committed sums of money to a lens collection, which then ties you to a brand, you are free to consider not only wht body do you want but what type of lenses.

If I were choosing, i would settle on the K100D because the body is stabilised and therefore EVERY lens you use becomes stabilised, even a cheapo- if you go with the Canon this is not so.

Having image stabilisation AND high ISO capability is an awesome combination, because it deals with both camera movement and subject movement.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:31 PM   #8

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
Firstly, both cameras will be very good.

So practicalities become more impoprtant than technicalities .i.e. which one feels best in your hands etc.

Also, since you are just starting out and have not committed sums of money to a lens collection, which then ties you to a brand, you are free to consider not only wht body do you want but what type of lenses.

If I were choosing, i would settle on the K100D because the body is stabilised and therefore EVERY lens you use becomes stabilised, even a cheapo- if you go with the Canon this is not so.

Having image stabilisation AND high ISO capability is an awesome combination, because it deals with both camera movement and subject movement.
This man speaks the truth. Well said.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:56 PM   #9

Before you buy either camera, make sure you go to a store and handle them - the feel of the two cameras is different - I prefer the Pentax camera, but many people prefer the Canon. Since both cameras give excellent pictures, the ergonomics is important.

Another plusfor the Pentax (besides the in-cameraSR) is the fact that it can use any lens that Pentax has made, going back to the '60s. There are some wonderful old lenses available used, and they can offer better quality for the price. Of course, a 25 year old manual lens that was made for a manual camera will not suddenly become auto focus - it will still be a manual lens where you'll have to set the aperture on the lens and focus manually.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:15 AM   #10

When didauto-focusing lenses for Pentax cameras first become available?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote