Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1

Hello.

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. DSLR is out, as one I don't have the money for one and I'm just taking pictures for myself and for fun. Eventually in a few years i would like to go the DSLR route but right now that is out.

I want a high optical zoom (10x or higher), good amount of MP (6 or higher), and not much shutter lag. Now I know that all digital point and shoots are going to have the lag, but from reading obviously some are better than others. I also like the idea of the manual zoom ring featured on some of the newer, advanced point and shoots.

After doing some introductory research, I'm leaning towards the Panasonic DMC-FZ30 (or FZ50...another discussion). I will basically be taking pictures again for myself and also at airshows, that is why the stats I want. I'm looking for any feedback and help on this. Thank you very much.

Brian
Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2

If you don't want a DSLR, then I would choose the FZ50 over the FZ30. The FZ30 had horrible problems with image noise. The FZ50 seems to be a little better in that area. I would also look into the Fuji S6500 or S9100. The Fujis seem to take nicer photos, but they don't offer true image stabilization. Something to think about.

Good luck deciding!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3

I thought though I had read that the FZ50 had a little longer shutter lag due to the larger MP's...that's why originally I thought still the FZ30 over it, also because it's a bit cheaper and after throwing in some cards and stuff....I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

brian
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4

Waltz41 wrote:
Quote:
I thought though I had read that the FZ50 had a little longer shutter lag due to the larger MP's...that's why originally I thought still the FZ30 over it, also because it's a bit cheaper and after throwing in some cards and stuff....I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

brian
Hmmm...I didn't read that about more shutter lag on the FZ50. I'm not sure why more MP would do that.??? I'd bet that unless it's alot worse, you won't really notice it. Most "upper-end" prosumer models have very little lag. I'm not trying to talk you out of the FZ30 (believe me, I understand the whole budget thing), but I have read MANY reports of excessive image noise on that model. I'd hate to spend that much money only to be disappointed in the final product...the pictures.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:55 PM   #5

i'll go back and check where i found that, i mean, i don't think it was much (1.3 vs 1.4 or something), but I guess I was going for the lowest as possible. I have read the same about the ISO settings on the 30 as well. I'm just a regular guy taking some photos of things he likes, maybe make an 8 x 10 sometime....is the ISO thing that important??

And is the FZ50 the best I can get at what I'm looking ator should I go with another camera??

thanks.

brian
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:44 PM   #6

Waltz41 wrote:
Quote:
...I'm just a regular guy taking some photos of things he likes, maybe make an 8 x 10 sometime....is the ISO thing that important??

And is the FZ50 the best I can get at what I'm looking ator should I go with another camera??
I really don't know how much it will bother you. It's kind of a subjective thing. If you take a shot in low-light and it requires a higher ISO, you may not like the photo if you print it out.

I can't really answer your question about "the best camera". I was researching several super-zoom prosumer digicams, and it was driving me crazy! :? Either it didn't have the features I wanted, or it was rated as taking poor pictures. There were just too many compromises for my money. That's why I've decided to get a DSLR, but that decision is not for everyone.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:45 PM   #7

While the Panisonic is very good outdoors in bright light, at something like an airshow, you might want to stop action with a very fast shutter to catch a shot of a plane in flight. So the high ISO capability might come in handy there.

In that situation, the fast shutter takes care of both camera shake and freezing the action, so it's more useful there than the image stabilization on the Panisonic. In some other situations maybe you might be better off with the IS.

The Fuji S6000 should be in it's own class (for small sensor cameras) in high ISO performance (if as advertised it's comparable to the F30), but lacks IS. The ISO capability is enough to make it worth considering though even without IS. The Canon S3 and Sony H2 & H5 have IS and are also better at high ISO than the Panasonic.

I think the Fuji is a bit pricey at the moment, as it is just being released (hasn't shipped yet), but I think it should be under $400 in a month or two. I like the value of the H2 at current prices, and the S3 is very popular as well.

Also, you can probably get into an entry level DSLR and kit lens for around $500, and the Pentax K100D, with in camera IS and a kit lens can be found for under $600. And most of those entry level DSLRs will work well in fully automatic mode, so you don't need too much technical knowledge to start shooting either. So that may be worth weighing as well. The only real drawbacks (other than a higher price) are they're bigger, heavier, and you don't get a movie mode.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:09 AM   #8

The major drawback against a DSLR right now is that I would need a better zoom lens than that which comes with most of the kits, probably up near the 300-400 mm range. That and having to change lenses and cart them around, along with the money factor is what is keeping me from them right now.

The other thing that I like on the panasonic is the zoom ring, which is something the cannon s3 and sony h models do not have. i would eventually like to go to DSLR in a year or so, and I thought this would be a good thing to get used to.

I have to look into the ISO ratings on the Fz50 vs the FZ30, I don't recall if it was any better or not. That is something I will definitley consider now, because at airshows, it can be cloudy a lot of times.

Thanks a lot, and anything else, please keep it coming, I really appreciate it.

Brian
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
The other thing that I like on the panasonic is the zoom ring, which is something the cannon s3 and sony h models do not have. i would eventually like to go to DSLR in a year or so, and I thought this would be a good thing to get used to.
In that case, the S6000 at least should be worth a look, as it does have manual focus. And a DSLR-lite range of usable ISO settings. Though I'd probably wait a month until there are some actual reviews and maybe prices will have fallen a bit.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
While the Panisonic is very good outdoors in bright light, at something like an airshow, you might want to stop action with a very fast shutter to catch a shot of a plane in flight. So the high ISO capability might come in handy there.

This is wrong assumption. You don't need high ss for taking pictures of planes in flight, not even for fast jets like F-16. The better pictures are taken while panning at slow ss.

For outdoor shots, FZ30 is real good. I have FZ5. I would stick to FZ30 against FZ50 as FZ30 has higher burst (in case you need it) and will cost you lot less now that FZ50 is out.

If you have problem tracking planes in flight with the EVF or LCD, then look into RDS which lot of folks use for birds in flight shots with FZ30. You attact this sight on the top flash shoe.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote