Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:32 PM   #1

I have a Sony Mavica FD-87 that I've had since 2002 which uses floppy disks as storage and I keep having problems with the disk drive (its currently not working). The drive has already been replaced 6 months after I bought it although it was the store's floor model. Soinstead offixing it againI think its time for a new replacement/upgrade.

Just seeing if anyone had any suggestions as to what I should get next? Here's what I'm looking for:

-probably 6+ megapixels (would like to print 8x10)

-macro isvery important

-hopefully a pretty fast shutter speed for moving objects

-would like a good zoom

-probably looking to spend around $500 maybe a little more

I'm looking to step up my photographing a notch but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a dSLR yet (both price and technicalities) but I wonder if I would be better off with an entry dSLR than a zoom point & shoot so that I could upgrade it with different lenses in the future?

Also, are there any things I should know about the different brands as far as realibility or is it just personal preference? Since my current Sony is messing up, it makes me want to almost not buy another Sony. I was looking at the Kodak P712 andit looked really good at first but there were a couple things from the reviews that I didn't like.

Thanks for your time. I know you regulars are probably tired of answering the same oldquestions. :?:G
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:48 PM   #2

slammin wrote:
Quote:
...but I wonder if I would be better off with an entry dSLR than a zoom point & shoot so that I could upgrade it with different lenses in the future?
That statement tells me that you probably will want a DSLR within a year or so. With that said, you may want to make that leap now instead of spending $500 on a camera which you will want to upgrade from in a short time. Take a good hard look at the Pentax K100D. It's a great DSLR with tons of features and accessories so you won't "out grow" it. It has a Full-Auto setting for beginners as well as many other steps between full-auto and totally manual. It's a camera that you can learn as you go. You can buy the camera with a good starter lens as a kit for around $590. Then just save your money for a while to get a good telephoto zoom. That's exactly what I'm doing. I figure I'll get the camera now, and Christmas is right around the corner!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

I currently have the Canon S3 which is a great camera, especially for the 12x zoom, but you'll be better off with a DSLR if fast shutter speed is important. I'm very seriously considering the K100 myself butyou couldalso look at the Pentax *ist DL which would be a little less (but you lose the shake reduction). Beachcamera is currently selling the *ist DL for $569 less a $100 mail in rebate and the K100 is $587 (no rebate), both include the 18-55 kit lens. If you went with a DSLR you would have to invest more money in a zoom lensat some pointbut at least you would have that option. Based on what you're saying you want tospend I would go for the DSLR since the entry level DSLR's are so reasonably priced right now.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I am going to go the DSLR route.I've been reading reviews and other board posts and so far I'm going back and forth betweenPentax k100d and Nikon d50.

The k100d looks great with the shake reduction (SR)and someone said it was good for macro, is that right? One reservation I have with it is that its not good for action shots. I don't understand though because it has the same 1/4000 shutter speed as the d50. The main things I like about the d50 is the better pics in the reviews and that its good for action shots. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make it not having the SR.

I'm probably going to to to the camera shop over the weekend so I can get a feel for the cameras in person and talk with the guys there.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5

slammin wrote:
Quote:
I'm probably going to to to the camera shop over the weekend so I can get a feel for the cameras in person and talk with the guys there.
Very good decision.

Picture quality wise both cameras are on the same level (they use the same sensor) K100D has improved JPEG engine (compared to DL and DS I guess you've decided that K100D pictures are worse by looking at DS and DL pictures), jpegs out from it are as good as D50's JPEGS, noise levels are identical.

All comes to ergonomics, viewfinder, features, build quality. Try to make some photos with both cameras, try to focus manually -- you'll need to do that in some situations and viewfinders of some DSLRS are so poor that it is almost impossible to do that.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:32 AM   #6

slammin wrote:
Quote:
..One reservation I have with it is that its not good for action shots. I don't understand though because it has the same 1/4000 shutter speed as the d50.
I had the same reservations about the K100Dfor action shots after reading some of the reviews. Some reviewers are suggesting that it may not be great for sports because of a smaller buffer. Some DSLRs can take dozens of pictures in a row at full burst speed, while the K100D will slow down after 5 full quality jpegs. I had to think long and hard about that because I will be taking photos of my son playing football. But then I started thinking about the fact that even the very best "super-zoom" point-n-shoot digicams only take around 5 shots in burst mode. That's all my current camera can do, and I've gotten great sports shots with it. Several people on here have posted some very impressive sports/action shots taken with a K100D. I figure that if it can take those shots AND have image stabilization, it's the camera I want.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:19 PM   #7

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
slammin wrote:
Quote:
Very good decision.

Picture quality wise both cameras are on the same level (they use the same sensor) K100D has improved JPEG engine (compared to DL and DS I guess you've decided that K100D pictures are worse by looking at DS and DL pictures), jpegs out from it are as good as D50's JPEGS, noise levels are identical.

All comes to ergonomics, viewfinder, features, build quality. Try to make some photos with both cameras, try to focus manually -- you'll need to do that in some situations and viewfinders of some DSLRS are so poor that it is almost impossible to do that.
Actually, I didn't really look at the DS and DL picturesbefore, its the Pentax *ist cameras you're talking about, right? With the Nikon D50's photos in Steve's review,they just seemedlike they were a little crisper and there was a little less noise but you say they are on the same level so its probably not that big of a deal.

gadgetnut, I saw your post in the Pentax section andthere weresomesweet shotscoming out of those cams. I'm still learning the lanuage and I didn't realize at first that the buffer meant the burst rate,the continuious burst would be nice but the 5 jpg/burstwill do for now and like you said that's all that the P&S camsgive you.

I'm more interested in the quality of fast moving objects, I especially like this photo from the Nikon D50 review page how it froze the water:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/DSC_0229.JPG

If the Pentax K100D can give a comparable photo with the appropriate lens then I'm all over it. As I keep looking at the reviews I think that the K100D is the right camera for me.

I'll have a lot to learn with the settings and all but it will be fun. My other camera used floppy disks as storage so I don't have any memery cards and I don't have any lenses so I'm free to go with any brand but I do have a good printer (HP Photosmart 8250) and it has card slots so I can use the printer as my card reader.

I will definitly handle the camerasat the shopand get a feel for them since I'm not used to the shape of the DSLRs. The size and weight are about the same as my other camera (it was big and bulky for a P&S, 1lb. 7oz. w/ battery).
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:54 PM   #8

I want to thank everyone for their help. I've learned a lot from looking at everyone's different discussions on the board. I knew going into it whichever camera I ended up with that I'd be happy.

I pretty much had my mind made up on the Pentax K100D and I went in to the photo shop yesterday (which is Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando, FL if anyone's familiar) and wouldn't you know they don't carry Pentax. :shock:So I ended up with the Nikon D50 which was second on my list within my price range. I spent more than I originally thought I was because I got some extra goodiesbut my parents helped me out with the cost.

Its been great so far! It takes some getting used to, so far the hardest to get used to is looking through the viewfinder because I'm used to using the LCD w/ the P&S and also getting my shots focused, steady and clear (I know, I know, the K100D's SR would help... don't hate me...LOLaranoid::-))I love it though already.