Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:37 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I am new to forum and was looking for some advice on which camera to buy my wife for her birthday in the beginning of November. She actually has a B.S. in photography so she knows her way around a camera but works in a different field so she isn't a professional.

Anyway, she has some nice film equipment but the only digital she currently has is a FujiFilm FinePix 3800. It seems to take decent pictures, but the shutter lag is very bad on it as were most cameras from its generation. For her next camera she wants something must faster since we are expecting our first child soon and want to be able to get some "action shots" with the digital.

So the requirements are:

1) Compact - Doesn't need to fit in a back pocket or anything, but should fit easily in a purse.
2) Good image quality
3) Low shutter lag/Quick multi-shot time
4) Enough manual options to satisfy an advanced user
5) Easy setting/menu navigation
6) Around 6MP
7) > $400

Any ideas? Some of the Canon's look like they would fit the bill as well as some Sony's or Fuji's. I looked at the Nikon (S6 I think) and really liked the design, but the reivews say they don't take the best quality pics. Maybe the S9 will be better? Anyway, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gurgs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2

theyre not my cup of tea but you mike like to look at the
Canon Powershot S3 IS
pretty hard to go wrong there

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:38 PM   #3

She sounds like a candidate for the F30. I think someone with the photography background will know how to make good use of the high ISO performance and manual controls in a pocket sized camera. Especially since the biggest knock I've seen against the F30 is some people think you have have to know what you're doing to really get the most out of it.

The other good choice might be the Canon A710 IS. The Canon A series is known for outstanding image quality with good manual controls. A bit bigger than the F30, but also a few more features. Also a bit better in bright outdoor shots, maybe not quite as good indoors/low light/action. Also better accesories available, and has a viewfinder.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:51 PM   #4

I would NOT recommend the Canon S3 as an owner of the S2 it's reallykinda bulky. Not as big as most SLR'sbut way thicker thanmost "compact" cameras. Toobig to fit in a purse (and have anything else in it)... unless you use a garbage bag..
monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:24 PM   #5

its true that theyre bulky
they get a pretty good rap sheet tho
a friend has a A series canon and I was a bit surprised how good the images looked

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:15 PM   #6

One of my coworkers has an Canon A620 and he brought it in for me to try out. It seemed like it would fit the bill nicely (or the 640) as far as the available controls and quality. Haven't seen the 710 IS yet. Does anyone know if the newer Canon's still get the E18 error a lot? Have seen lots of reports of this on older versions, but not on the newers so I didn't know if it is as much of a problem as it once was.

The F30 also sounds like it could be really nice, but I am little leary of the tendancy to overexpose in bright light. I wouldn't want to always have to run it in manual mode to get decent outdoor shots. Don't know if this is overstating it, but that is what one review made it sound like.

I think the S3 type EVF cameras are out because they are bigger that what she wants now. I'm thinking a nice compact now and then maybe a midrange dSLR in a few years and skip the midsize EVF's.

The newly announced Canon G7 sounds like it might be perfect but at $600 is more than I wanted to spend. Does anyone know if their estimate is what we'll see retail when they are released, or it more of an MRSP?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any others?

Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:59 PM   #7

Have you discussed this with your wife, or are you planning to surprise her? My thinking is that someone who is as experienced and knowledgable as she is needs to be involved in the selection process. Otherwise, the surprise may very well turn out to be an unpleasant one.

Maybe she told you she doesn't want to take the time to sort through all the available models and make the decision for herself. If so, ignore my advice and proceed! Otherwise, you might consider a gift certificate, or at least being sure you buy from a dealer with a liberal return/trade up policy.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:32 AM   #8

We've discussed it a little but I am in charge of doing all the research since she hates doing internet research and is pretty busy with getting all the baby stuff ready. Once I have it narrowed down to a few models we'll go look at them together. Good suggestion to buy from a dealer with a liberal return/trade up policy so if she ends up not liking it we can trade it in.