Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:10 PM   #11

It's a royally tough choice between the S3 and the H5....*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]*Myself, I chose the H5 and am delighted. The kicker for me was taking a close look at photos taken by both cameras on several review sights and there was just no way around it: the H5's pictures were better: they looked sharper, there was noticeably less noise and the color was more to my taste. The price of memory cards these days is so cheap I dunno if that even factored in for me. In a competiton between the S3 and H5 the Sony wins -- JUST. In reality, I don't think a person would go wrong with either one of them.*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/argue1.gif[/img]
JP02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:55 AM   #12

Now I'm actually going between the Fujifilm S6000 (or I guess the same (for whatever reason) as the S6500. The fact that it has an ISO of 3200 and the face recognition feature has me intrigued. But the caviat is the size. The H5 just wasn't comfortable, and I've owned a Sony Mavica CD that I was farily happy with, but I didn't like the H5's comfort.. I hate to say it felt cheap to me.Maybe I'll look again but it was bigger than the S3.. NOW the S6000 is quite a bit bigger... nearly a SLR but not quite as pricey. So I'm torn between getting the S3 which is fairly compact for a 12x zoom... or going bigger. And speaking of comparing picture samples.. I've seen some of the samples (thanks to the link provided above by fellow member) and they are much better than either the S3 or the H5. I know they're to a F30 or something that has some of the samespecs .... And the Fuji is the same price as the H5 for now.. So I'm still rackin' my brain. Hopefully a rave review will come out for the s6000 or a really cruddy one, and I'll have it solved.

Do hope you happy with your Sony. I think my old Mavica CD did take better shots than my S3... Not better resolultion of course .. but better in I dunno light balance or something. Like it's eye was just better (I'm too much of a noob to know the technical terms).

Thanks for the tips... maybe I will buy a H5... who knows at this point. But I need to order one SOON! I don't have one!!! argh.
monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:14 AM   #13

I'm actually kicking around the idea of a few SLR's too

the Nikon D50, the Rebel XT and Pentax K100D. Because I'm not having a tough enogh time already.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:47 AM   #14

monsoon777 wrote:
Quote:
I'm actually kicking around the idea of a few SLR's too

the Nikon D50, the Rebel XT and Pentax K100D. Because I'm not having a tough enogh time already.
Why don't you consider some of Kodak's cameras? Like the P850, P712, Z612. All have image stabalization and 12X zoom. The only reason why i am mentioning this is because you said you could remove the noise at higher ISO's in photoshop. It work's great for me.

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:55 PM   #15

Forget about the super zooms, it really is a gimmick - do you need it to take pictures of your family indoors? last time i checked, my wife hates it when i zoom in on her nose! if you've begun to contemplate a dSLR, that is the route you should go. you're then buying into a system. I bought a pentax *istDL at the beginning of july after owning the panasonic fz30 for 8 months. best decision i ever made.

just recently purchased a 28-200mm sigma lens brand new on ebay for $75 shipped, which gives me approx. 9x zoom in 'digital camera' terms. the pentax also has the best backwards compatibility of any of the dSLRs available. you can use any K-mount lenses dating back to the 1960s. (note: i loved the long zooms too, but have discovered there really is no substitute for your brain and your feet when it comes to composing a photograph) i'd never used a manual lens before, but after buying an f1.7 50mm i'm a convert - the old primes are amazing for low light. last night i set my camera to 1600iso, and by the light of the TV only was able to snap a pic of my dog with a 1/20th second handheld exposure and it turned out perfect (sorry i don't have it online!). i would totally print it, the 'grain' you get in a dSLR looks like it belongs (i.e. looks like gritty film grain), as opposed to the grain i got w/the FZ30, which was present at iso200, sometimes a nice blue sky was blue, withseveral shades of purple and red thrown in for good measure (that was meant to be sarcastic!).

So, spend the $587 on the k100d with the kit lens (or whatever they're going for online now), go buy some $20 and $30 primes at your local camera shop (forgot to mention those awesome primes are really dirt cheap), and hunt on ebay or KEH for used (or new) zoom lenses that are just as good or better (at the very least) than any point and shoot super zoom can accomplish.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:43 PM   #16

I'VE GOT IT! My new Fujifilm s6000/S6500

I looked everywhere for a review before I bought this, so for you out there who want ANY opinion, here is my very amatuer and yet not so humble opinion:

The "face detection" feature, which sounds like a gimmick, for me quantifies this as the best digital I've ever used. A green box will appear over your subjects face and even if they're like my 2 year old and are constantly moving will actually follow their face (as long as they are looking in the general viscinity of the camera). They can be a foot away or I tried it at least 40ft and it still picked it up. It will give focus and lighting priority to their faces. It even works on the TV (had to try it). The macro is excellent, and it has a supermacro thatis so much better than my S2's. I was concerned about it's manual zoom, but it's way faster and ultimately better than a battery consuming zoom. The ISO of 3200 can take unblurry pictures withouta flash in my very dark house and they're still usuable VS the throw away blurrrrr of my canon. I'm really happy I finally pulled the trigger and bought this over the S3-IS. - (From a former S2-IS owner.) Only complaints are it's fairly large.. But you can't put any super zoom in your pocket really.. Oh yea and the "on board" memory is about the dumbest thing ever. You can take about 1 picture on the finest mode before it's full. What's the point of that? Or I don't understand why you would buy a 6.3mp and use low quality shots. BUT the good news is the XD cards hold more per MB than the SD cards and are very fast. Use the "M". I got a 1gb card as best buy for $39.99 and it'll hold about 350 at the best resolution (fine). I am a VERY hard to please person when it comes to anything electronic, and I couldn't be happier than with my first Fuji. Let's put it this way.In three days, I have more quality"printer worthy" shots thanover a year with my S2-IS. (I still love myCanon Pixma IP5000 Printer!). Cheers.