Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1
Dig

Having been a long time Canon user (AE1, F1, A70, A80, S1, S2, etc) I almost pulled the trigger on a Nikon D80 today. But then I read that Canon has a new G7. Not that I am interested in the G7 particullarly but I noticed it has a new processor.

It is allowing the G7 to do some pretty neat things (at least according to the article).

My ponder is, Does this mean that Canon is ready and poised to come out with some neat things in their higher camera classes with a newer processor or am I just reading into things that are not really there?

I am having a hard time moving away from Canon but the D80 just looks like a sweet camera for the money. There is controversy regarding who's camera is better in low light but with the pictures I have seen it seems the difference is minor.

I dunno maybe this is not the place to ask this but if anyone has a thought I am interested otherwise I may just go buying in the next day or two. Not that I am in any hurry but.....:idea:

Thanks
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

Don't get hung up on the camera... think system (lenses and flashes, etc.) The new processor will be available on future Canon cameras. The lenses is where the real money lies.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:07 AM   #3
Dig

Thanks for the reply. Although I am not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean that Canon has more lenses than Nikon, that is really not an issue for me. I mean how many lenses can I use?

I used to have dozens of them years ago but like most things for my purposes I may not need more than one or two tops.

Thanks for your thoughts. I seemed to ask one of those qestions that falls into the pit of not much opinion. :lol:
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:34 PM   #4

Unless you can see specific features that the new Digic III processor does that will really make a difference to you, don't worry about it.

It is true that the new processor will be used a many cameras, including DSLRs and such. It will definitely happen. But what difference, ultimately, will it make? Maybe faster handling of data (writing to the CF/SD card, faster JPG encoding, ...) maybe faster metering calculation. But will it actually make the pictures *better*??? Probably not. It might enable you to do some things that you couldn't do before (a faster responding camera might let you take multiple pictures in a row easier) but I doubt the list of differences is that big.

What wildman is trying to say is that specific things like the processor the camera uses doesn't really matter that much. What matters is the output of the camera (which is a factor of way more than just the processor), the camera's usability, the lenses available to you (what focal lengths at what quality at what price), and flash capabilities.

Those things will make a much larger difference to you.
Here is an example which influenced things in my case, to illustrate my point.
When I purchased my first DSLR, I looked at the Nikon D100 & Canon 10D.
Both were capable bodies with similar functionality. While not technically equivalent, they were close enough.
So I looked at lenses. The Nikon 80-400 vs. the Canon 100-400. For what I did, the 100-400 was a clearly superior lens. And it was a touch cheaper (but not enough to really matter.)

That is how you should compare DSLRs. Not just based on the chip, but based on the entire system (lens, body, flash,...)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:15 PM   #5
Dig

Thanks Eric:

I understand what you are saying but I guess what I am thinking is that the processor has much to do with noice and such, especially at higher iso.

You can have a perfect lens but it will only be as good as that which captures the image. The speed at which the image is captured, speed at which the camera takes the picture from when you press the shutter button, the ready on speed and more are all dictates of the procesor.

I can't stand all these delays that are in electronic cameras and the faster they make the processor the closer to film camera we approach the happier I am. Then I know I can get the picture I am seeing when I press the button.

As far as lens's go I am not sure why the Canon 100-400 would be that much superior to the Nikon but I am not sure what you mean by "clearly superior" but that may be a matter of opinion I guess. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age these two companies make lens's that are that far apart in terms of picture quality.

But anyway thanks for your reply
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:03 PM   #6
NHL

Dig wrote:
Quote:
As far as lens's go I am not sure why the Canon 100-400 would be that much superior to the Nikon but I am not sure what you mean by "clearly superior" but that may be a matter of opinion I guess. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age these two companies make lens's that are that far apart in terms of picture quality.
I did several comparisons actually since I'm interested in Nikon products as well...

What eric s meant to say was the Canon version comes with USM which the Nikon lacks (i.e. no AFs). What this translate to is slighly faster focus for action shots; However in most cases the Nikon lenses seems to edge out the Canon in MTF's sharpness - This could be contributed by the D200 (10Mp) against the EOS-350 (8Mp), but the results are the same, more resolution from the Nikon's combo:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...4556/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...6_is/index.htm

-> ... and this go for many other lenses in Nikon favor as well
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote