Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:57 AM   #1

Hello readers,

I will try to be straight to the point here:

Me : beginning SLR photographer, who enjoys playing and being creative, but who realistically won't have that much time to experiment as I would like. Have been shooting a digital compact for some years and want to upgrade.

What will I be taking pictures off (in this order):

1) My son (presently 1 year old)
2) Travelling (landscapes and attractions as well as situations and people)
3) Playing around, trying to be creative, and learning as a photographer

So far I have narrowed my choices down to either:

Canon 400D/XTi
with: Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 & Canon 50 f/1.8

Or:

Nikon : D80 + 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6G

These set-ups would cost me about the same, and is approximately my budget limit.
What would you chose if you were in my shoes, and why? All comments appreciated.

Mortenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:10 AM   #2

Put each camera in your hand, then decide. If possible, go to a retailer with your own memory card, shoot some sample images in-store and review at home. Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLR's so don't get caught in the name game. Looking at your choices the Canon lens set-up gives you faster (wider aperture) lenses while the Nikon gives you longer reach (more telephoto). Since you list landscapes and not sports I'd say the 2-lens set-up would be more to your advantage. That f/1.8 should give you nice blurred backgrounds for portraits. If lens changes don't bother you that's my 2 cents for how to go.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:10 AM   #3

Have you looked in to the Pentax K100D? One of the best DSLR's in it price range. It may only be a 6mp camera but 6mp will give you great 8x10's. This camera also has shake reduction and the others on your list do not. Before you buy you need to at least give this camera a look.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:22 AM   #4

Iordered the K100D yesterday from beachcamera for $587 including the 18-55 kit lens...can't wait for the FedEx man to arrive tomorrow!! I've read so many good reviews aboutthe K100and for the price it seems like a great package, especially for a beginner DSLR user like myself. I think I'll bepurchasing either the Pentax DA50-200 or the Sigma 18-125ina few weeks once I get a better feel for the camera. I'm leaning towards the 50-200 in part because of the Pentax rebate offerand I think I would be happier with the longer reach.
JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:43 AM   #5

Well, in my opinion currently Pentax is offering the bast bang for buck.

Get Pentax K100D + Sigma 17-70 + Pentax 50mm/f1,4 ($160 after rebate if you're in USA, $210 everywhere else) and you'll have perfect set-up for entry level DSLR.

And if K100D is not enough for you, Pentax just announced K10D ($900 body only) which makes 400D and D80 look as overpriced cameras.

But if you want to buy a name in the first place, then go with Nikon. D80 is superior camera compared to 400D.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

I agree about going pentax but I'd choose the new K10D
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pe...6_k10d_pr.html

10.2mp
Self cleaning sensor
Image Stabilization in body
Weather resistant body
100K cycle shutter
Uses many older Pentax lenses
Estimated street price 899$us.

Sounds to me like Pentax will have a winner with this one when it hits the streets.

Thats 2 manfacturers (Sony, Pentax) with IS in the body, Nikon/Canon better start to listen :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:46 AM   #7

JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
Iordered the K100D yesterday from beachcamera for $587 including the 18-55 kit lens...can't wait for the FedEx man to arrive tomorrow!! I've read so many good reviews aboutthe K100and for the price it seems like a great package, especially for a beginner DSLR user like myself. I think I'll bepurchasing either the Pentax DA50-200 or the Sigma 18-125ina few weeks once I get a better feel for the camera. I'm leaning towards the 50-200 in part because of the Pentax rebate offer but I think I would be happier with the longer reach.
I use the Sigma 18-125 as my everyday lens and it's great. Good zoom range and a great wide angle. I have the DL and I'm thinking the new K10D is a little more camera than I need but the K100D is right on target for most. After the holidays I may even be looking at one for myself.

Good luck with what ever you buy.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:15 PM   #8

All dslr's do exactly the same thing.

The myth that there is a difference in image quality between brands/models/megapixels should not affect your decision.

The differences are in the user interface, mostly, and in some functions. Little quirky things become important to us as we advance, develop habbits, and a personal style. I had a minolta 5D and now a 7D, my biggest grips about the 5d now that I've had both are that it was too small and hard to hold with heavier lenses and that it didnt have a separate control wheel for the aperture. Those things only matter because of one of my heavier lenses and the way I shoot. There is a long list of things like that which I would evaluate a future puchase with, but starting out you dont really have any way of knowing what matters to you. With the lenses your looking at, your not marrying the brand and could switch later before you start investing in real expensive optics.

Bottom line, I'd not stress over it too much and pick one that feels good to you and you find easy to manipulate. Your needs are general and dont really sugest any particular equipment. You might be able to stretch some better lenses if you go with a cheaper camera, like a pentax (not that they are 'cheap', just less costly). I also prefer used lenses because of the better value, and buying from a place like keh.com assures you wont get a lemon.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9

JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
Iordered the K100D yesterday from beachcamera for $587 including the 18-55 kit lens...can't wait for the FedEx man to arrive tomorrow!!
I hope to order mine this evening!!! Let me ask you something if you don't mind. Did you do the free shipping option, or did you pay for one of the "faster" options? Thanks, and enjoy that camera!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:48 PM   #10

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
Iordered the K100D yesterday from beachcamera for $587 including the 18-55 kit lens...can't wait for the FedEx man to arrive tomorrow!!
I hope to order mine this evening!!! Let me ask you something if you don't mind. Did you do the free shipping option, or did you pay for one of the "faster" options? Thanks, and enjoy that camera!

Choose free shipping, you'll still have it in 1 or 2 business days. This is my third camera I've ordered from beach and their sister website buydig and each time I placed the order they sent me a FedExshipping confirmationwithin 2 hours andeach timeI hadthe camerain 2days or less even though I requested the 8-10 day free shipping. This will be the second time I ordered on a Thursday afternoon and got a SATURDAY delivery, for free!!

Same to you...enjoythe camera!!

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote