Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

Therehave been a lot of questions, answers and info on this forumabout which compact to purchaseand yetI'm still trying to decide! I have a DSLR and would like to buy a small camera to carry in my pocket all the time. I have done a lot of reading but it's so difficultto choose without being able to test the cameras.

I'm leaning toward the Canon Powershots - 500,550, 600??? Or the Sony Cybershots W50, W70, W100?? They all get great reviews for the most part. I'm having a very hard time narrowing down my choice! If anyone has any info that will sway me towards one or the other I'd greatly appreciate it!

I would like an optical viewfinder (can you really take good pics easilywithout one? I'm afraid to risk it!). I'll be taking photos mostly indoors of my grandkids so flash recharge, flash exposure and the ability to capture some actionis very important as well as overall image quality.

I have a littletrouble holding a camera steady so I'm concerned about blurry shots. (All my other digitals have IS. I've been told IS will not be necessary with only 3x zoom. I want this camera to be small and inexpensive so I wasn't considering IS on this one.)

Even though I'm leaning towards the Canons and Sonys I'm open to considering other manufacturers.

Thanks so much for your help!

MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:15 AM   #2

Not sure if the problem has been fixed and correct me if I'm wrong but I know the Sony W-50 had alot of lens problems. The lens would not retract & would basically be stuck. Heard this from alot of people who had purchased it as well as a few retailers who said they sent theirs off for service for this problem.
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3

Since you're taking mostly shots indoors, you should also consider the Fuji F20 & F30. They don't have the optical viewfinder, but they still beat the Canon and Sony models for low light indoor shooting, with or without flash.

Otherwise, I would go for the IS. The SD 700 and DSC T10 aren't that much more expensive now that the next generation models have been announced.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:50 PM   #4

What about this one just announced ?

Canon SD800 IS http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...on_sd800is.asp
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:33 AM   #5

I don't know about Sony but Canon Sd600 is simply wonderfull. I suggest to try Sd 700 that has IS included.
Canon SD700 will probably be my self christmas present.
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies! Since I posted the question my husband suggested I go for amodel with IS so I've completely switched streamsbut my head is still swimming! I've been eyeing the Canon's with IS. I am concerned about flash exposure and recharge. (I'm very spoiled by my DSLR in that department.) Ill be taking a ton of pics of my granddaughter this winter indoors.

The Fujis are enticing, too, and some Panasonics have gotten rave reviewsbut I'm nervous about not having a view finder. I'd be interested to hear people's experience who have switched from using a view finder to just using the LCD screen.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

Maryrose - this one has an optical viewfinder.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...on_sd800is.asp

I have an Olympus mju300 subcompact with optical viewfinder and LCD. I rarely use th eoptical finder because the LCD shows me what I will get after the image is digitised.

Mike

MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:44 PM   #8

Thanks very much for your suggestion, Mike! I'm keeping an eye on the new Canon 800IS. (Looking for user reviews and photos!) It sounds very promising. (I just noticed two people have "reviewed" it on dpreview.combut they didn't leave any text.)