Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

Which is better - canon 400 or nikon 80?

I am an architect and I need dslr with high mp for interior and exterior shooting of buildings and landscape.
ivosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

That's a loaded question. What features are important to you? If you're completely unsure, flip a coin
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:10 PM   #3

completly unsure. i'll flip:roll:
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:03 PM   #4

ivosk wrote:
Quote:
completly unsure. i'll flip:roll:
Well, maybe you can give us more detail. Because asking a question as simple as "which camera is better?" is extremely open ended.

If you care about price, the 400D is better.

If you care about having a good viewfinder, the D80 is better.

Why do you think nobody has answered your question yet? Exactly...so, don't be rolling your eyes at my response when I even hinted at what you needed to provide to get answers.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5

I thought that :roll:ment something like I'm not shure. Didn't mean no desrespect. It's just that I have no experience in digital photography (after my last 35 that I had in the '90-ies (yashica) the only digital camera I have is my doughter's 3,2 MP olympus). Like I said before, I need it for still photography (buildings and landscape) with a need for wide lense. Maybe the question should be which camera is better for the total beginer.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:53 AM   #6

Ok, my bad... :lol:

I can't really speak on terms of lenses, though I'm sure both Canon and Nikon have great landscape lenses.

I'll preface this by telling you I purchased the D80. The main benefit of the D80 as I see it is going to be the much better viewfinder (larger, brighter, easier to see through!). Both camera's have great focusing systems. The D80 has a better feel to it, IMO...The XTi is small, so if small is your thing, that is a + for the XTi.

I'm sure there are other things I'm just not thinking about right now. Realistically, both are great camera's. People have been arguing between the two since they were announced.

Because the camera's have extremely different feels, you really should go to a store and hold them both. Check the size/weight/handling for yourself. And you'll be able to see if the viewfinder is of concern for you.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
The main benefit of the D80 as I see it is going to be the much better viewfinder (larger, brighter, easier to see through!).
Choosing a dSLR with a high priority on the viewfinder reminds me of last time when I did a search for a digital compact. I placed a high emphasis on the LCD screen above all which eventually didn't turned out to be a great deal after all! :lol:Now I don't think a great 3.0"clear photo LCD plus touch panelwith 230,000 pixels is anygreat deal after all!
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:07 PM   #8

since they both have allmost similar characteristics your observation about the size of them makes sence. If the quality of the images is alike it's about the feel of them in the hand, and since I have longer fingers it shoud be the bigger one. The problem about trying them is that they didn't arrive in croatia yet, but I think that You are right about comparing them in the hand and eye. Thanks:-)