Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1

New to the forum and DSLR here. This message board seems to be chuck full of very knowledgablepeople willing to help a rookie like myself. So I'm hoping someone can help me out with 2 questions I have -

I'm in the painful process of researching for my first SLR and have somewhat narrowed it down to 2 choices - the Pentax K10D or the Canon XTI 400.

A lot of buzz is being made about the built in IS and weather-proofing of the Pentax. And although I agree those are very nice features, I'm really mostly concerned with the potentialquality of photos each camera can take.

Based on specs alone, is there any reason to believe one will significantly outperform the other for potential photo quality? I am probably not going to make a final decision until I hear a little more from real life users or maybe for a side by side comparison from dpreview. I'd gladly give up in body IS and weatherproofing for better pictures.

My second question is about lenses. One seemingly advantage to the Canon is lens information and choices. Seems to be a wealth of information on Canon lenses but not so much on the Pentax options. Are there good lenses for the Pentax that can compete with the Canon lenses? Any ideas on where to get more review info. on lenses that will go with the K10D?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
cameranoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2

The problem with lenses to fit Pentax DSLRs is that there are too many choice and too much info.

Any Lens tha will fit a Pentax 35mm SLR will work on the DSLR's.

This means that all the Pentax and third party lenses produced for over thirty years can be used.

The optical quality will vary but the good lenses are still good and second hand gems can be purchased for a very reasonable price.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:54 AM   #3

cameranoob, I am sorry to say that most people probably won't know anything much about the K10D (now) until atleast a proper review comes out.

I have analized the shots taken by the Canon XTi atmin ISO and max ISO and they are all great in quality. The ISO 1600 shots of it doesn't look bad for a 10 MP image sensor. I can only inform you now that all the 10 MP cameras out today are equally great in the image quality department. (As myresearch has lead me to believe) I only found myself liking the shots of the Canon better and it is surely hard to believe since it was fitted with average quality zooms. (Compared to the Nikon D80, Sony R1, and the A100)

Do note however that at max ISO, the Canon XTi seems to be the better one out of the currently known 10 MP big guns (Including the R1). (This is all based on my research) Again, I personally find myself liking the Canon shots better.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:37 AM   #4

Thanks much for the replies.

I agree that there are numerous Pentax lenses/choices but I'm having a difficult time finding information on reviews oflensesfrom Pentax. I've checked dpreview, amazon, epinions, etc... maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Any advice on specific internet sites?

Very glad to hear that the XTI is performing well with higher ISO. From what I've seen first hand I do like the pics the XTI is cranking out.

cameranoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:42 PM   #5

You asked specifically about Pentax Lens. There are a number of websites that specialize - however, first try http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml as he has an excellent review of Pentax lenses…
"And nobody pays all that much attention to Pentax. Pentax does have some pretty pedestrian optics in its bag, it's true. What many photographers aren't aware of is that Pentax still also makes some of the best SLR lenses on the planet. For pure picture quality, taking bokeh into account, my considered opinion is that the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 is the best fast fifty (and I say that having carefully tested damn near everything out there). The FA 24mm f/2 is certainly one of the best 24mm AF lenses going. And if you were to directly compare the Leica 80mm Summilux-R, the Zeiss Contax 85mm f/1.4, the AF-Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, and the Pentax SMC-FA 85mm f/1.4, it would be very clear to you that the latter lens absolutely belongs in the company of the former three. For portraiture, it might even edge the others out." Mike Johnson 2002

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
http://stans-photography.info/
http://www.aohc.it/indexe.htm
http://www.volny.cz/ysedlacek/english/

...hope this helps...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:02 PM   #6

If you compare only bodies, K10D is a clear winner. I have no doubts there. I believe that picture quality wise both cameras will be on the same level. However K10D has better ergonomics, much, much better viewfinder, unique picture taking modes (sensitivity priority, aperture-shutter speed priority), in body SR (you'll need to pay a lot for *each* Canon stabilised lense), weather sealed body. Also Canon Rebel series are famous for their "cheap" feel and build.

Talking about lenses, it depends what kind of pictures you're going to take and what is your budget for lenses.

In my opinion Pentax has better covered wide angle, however there are no long Pentax zooms available yet (they are coming though).

Also Pentax has excellent prime lenses, covering wide to short tele.

Also my observation is that Pentax price will always be lower than Canon's price for lenses which are similar in their focal range and quality.

So, if you have really big budget and going to take pictures of sports (therefore need fast telezooms) -- go with Canon. If you're going to make portraiture, landscapes, your family shots -- Pentax will save a lot of your money for the same quality.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7

cameranoob. photodo.com i think has some lens reviews
Good luck!
Im looking foward to k10d aswell.
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:15 AM   #8

Don't forget than the CANON EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) cost less than the K10D (800 USD body only!) and you can have some great SIGMA, TAMRON, and or TOKINA lenses for it. (So that hits off the expensive Canon lens excuse...)

Don't listen to those people who always use the viewfinderas a reason to go for a specific camera. It is just like someone telling me today "You know, camera x have a bigger LCD...etc..." "So I go for the camera because of the bigger LCD, how lame"

The truth is, you have to take a look through them yourself. I guess that you won''t noticed whether it is a Pentaprism or aPentamirror. Both designs serves the same function and purpose and are meant to be good in the first place "Come on, they are high end stuffs". (There are good quality Pentamirror viewfinders around) - Take a look at the Pentax K100D's and Sony A100's for example. In fact, I personally looked through a D70s TTL viewfinder and found it great. (And it is a Pentamirror) I won't know if no one told me.

Pentamirror or Pentaprism (They are all designed to be good); so this matter becomes less significant, you should concern yourself withtheprice/value, lens choice,operation, image quality, high ISO performance, and feel of the cameras in general.

Things that shouldn't (I.M.O.) decide your next camera;

LCD screens. (Generally they will be good enough to check your images)

The viewfinder. (I mentioned a whole lot above already)

Mega-pixels. (Long story) [In short, companies are lately cramming in more pixels on same size sensors]

Dust buster. (Can be a useful feature, but it shouldn't determine your choice)

Image stabilization. (Sounds really useful, but to make it the base of your decision is dangerous)

ISO 3200. (Really shouldn't be a deciding feature at all; unless you are in a special case) [Generally, the quality level at that ISO level will not be good enough for me; I always lookfor good quality ISO 1600 performance on a dSLR]

Batteries and memory card type. (Unless you have already invested in them, they shouldn't be a factor unless for some special reasons)

Package deals. (IMO they don't make a big deal to me; I like to specify my own packages)

Promotions. (Even worse...Are you going to buy the camera just because it is on promotion or because it is based on your criteria?)

Brand. (Speechless...)

Basically, all this are the usual things IMO that one shouldn't use as a means of decision making. There are other examples that may lay in the form of a specific function etc...be careful.

My two cents.

Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:48 AM   #9

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Don't listen to those people who always use the viewfinderas a reason to go for a specific camera. It is just like someone telling me today "You know, camera x have a bigger LCD...etc..." "So I go for the camera because of the bigger LCD, how lame"

The truth is, you have to take a look through them yourself. I guess that you won''t noticed whether it is a Pentaprism or aPentamirror. Both designs serves the same function and purpose and are meant to be good in the first place "Come on, they are high end stuffs". (There are good quality Pentamirror viewfinders around) - Take a look at the Pentax K100D's and Sony A100's for example. In fact, I personally looked through a D70s TTL viewfinder and found it great. (And it is a Pentamirror) I won't know if no one told me.

Pentamirror or Pentaprism (They are all designed to be good); so this matter becomes less significant, you should concern yourself withtheprice/value, lens choice,operation, image quality, high ISO performance, and feel of the cameras in general.
Oh, you're so wrong!

Of course I agree with you that viewfinder quality shouldn't be decisive factor. However when you start to compare very similar cameras in IQ and performance, everything should be taken into account. And viewfinder isn't the least important thing because you will use it every time you take a picture.

You're right, it doesn't matter is it pentamirror or pentaprism. However you failed to notice *magnification*. 400D is 0.8x while K10D is 0.95x. In other words it means that with 400D you'll have something like tunnel vision and with K10D much broader and larger (more magnified) image. That really makes the difference.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:01 AM   #10

Quote:
However you failed to notice *magnification*. 400D is 0.8x while K10D is 0.95x. In other words it means that with 400D you'll have something like tunnel vision and with K10D much broader and larger (more magnified) image. That really makes the difference.
Are you sure from .8x to .95x will make a differenceto aneye?

The viewfinder of the OLYMPUS EVOLT E-500 dSLR is at 0.9x Magnification>>>

Quote:

• Eye-level TTL Optical Pentaprism
• Field of view 95%
• Magnification 0.9x with a 50mm lens and -1 dioptre
• Eye point 16 mm at -1 dioptre
• Dioptre adjustment -3 to +1 dioptre
• Focusing screen: Fixed type
• Mirror: Quick return mirror
However, it is tunnel like???

Quote:

Viewfinder
The E-500 has a fairly straightforward prism style viewfinder with a dioptre adjustment and removable rubber eyecup (for eyecup accessories). The eyepiece glass itself appears to have an anti-reflective coating. Looking through the viewfinder is unfortunately like looking down a tunnel, the actual focusing screen is very small. I found it difficult to check the focus distance (when focusing manually for instance) and also to even make out smaller detail, it's the smallest viewfinder I've seen on any recent digital SLR and is a bit of a disappointment.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page3.asp

On the other hand, the viewfinder of the Pentax K100D is at 0.85-times magnification>>>

Quote:

Bright, clear viewfinder

The K100D features a lightweight penta-mirror viewfinder, which combines a PENTAX-original finder optics with a Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen to deliver a bright, clear subject image with a 0.85-times magnification and a 96-percent field of view.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0605/06...entaxk100d.asp
But it is not tunnel like. (In fact, it is great according to users and reviews)

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

I am not trying to say that the V.F. of the K10D will be bad. I am trying to saythat magnification does not determines "tunnel or not tunnel like viewfinder view" :idea: