Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

I suspect this question has been asked dozens of times before by other people, but your patience in answering it yet again would be most appreciated.
Next year, my wife and I are hoping to head over to Europe for a few months of travel. Between now and then I am wanting to get a couple cameras to take with us, a DSLR for taking some really nice photos and a compact that we can always have on us ready to capture the quick snapshots (While keeping the DSLR safely packed away out of sight when in areas where it would quickly attract the attention of thieves).
Now, the DSLR is not a problem, we have narrowed that down to 350D or D50 and we're just waiting until we see one at the right price... The right compact camera however is proving a little more elusive. We have considered the IXUS800 (SD700) and Sony W50 but both take proprietary batteries and we would prefer something that took standard AA's for convienience. My question for you all is... What other cameras are there that would meet our spec's and what recomendations do people have?
Or prefered requirements are:
6MP or better
ISO800 or better
3x optical zoom or better
Optical viewfinder (easier for low light framing etc)
Powered by standard AA batteries (more convienient for travel)
Fast powerup and shooting times
Small and light weight (so it can just live in our pockets while we travel)

NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:25 PM   #2

Take a look at Canon Powershot A serie. A710IS looks like really good camera. Takes AA batteries and SD card. And forget about ISO800 in digicams (exception is Fujifilm F serie).

In fact this makes Nikon D50 better candidate for your DSLR because it also takes SD cards, so you can share memory cards between your DSLR and P&S (if you need to).

Also why don't you consider Pentax K100D as your DSLR? In my opinion currently it's the best option for entry level DSLR: lower price than D50 and 350D, better build than 350D (and the same level as D50, 350D feels very, very cheap), has in-body shake reduction, best viefinder of those three, best kit lense (D50 kit lense is OK, but Canon 350D kit lense is really bad quality lense, it holds down 350D image quality a lot). JPEG quality issues of former Pentax DSLR *ist series cameras are solved there, people are very satisfied by K100D picture quality.

Also K100D takes AA batteries instead of proprietary battery.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:23 AM   #3

I don't think thatthe Pentax K100D is cheaper than the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D50.

EOS 350D = 600 USD body only.

D50 = 550 USD body only.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:18 AM   #4

Didn't think D50 is so cheap now. K100D is also in the area of $550 for body only.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:58 PM   #5

Thanks for your comments... I will have a look at powershot A series, it would be good to be able to use same cards in both cameras.
I had looked briefly at the Pentax K100 but for some reason decided against it. I'm not entirely sure why now, I will have to go and re-read the reviews/specs etc. From memory it's performance (power up and shooting speed) wasn't quite as good but I must have had other reasons (especially since it will take AA's which for travel is a real bonus). I do recall recently seeing comments from someone that runs photography courses and I'm sure they rated the K100 top out of all the entry level cameras they used, but I haven't been able to find this article again to confirm it... Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between K100D and K110D? As far as I can tell the K110 just lacks the anti-shake.

Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:38 PM   #6

Ok, well I just managed to get a great deal on a (slightly used) Canon 350D so that is my DSLR sorted out for the trip... did give serious consideration to the other suggestions given, but at the end of the day the deal I got was just too good to turn down.
I would still however like very much to hear any other comments, suggestions, etc for suitable compact cameras before I make a final decision.

Thanks,
Calvin