Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

I am looking for a small point and shoot.* I've been looking at: Canon: A530 A540 SD600 SD700IS. My top two choices so far are the SD600 and the SD700IS, mainly because of size.* I really want a small size, just put in pocket and go. So since the SD700IS is about $100 more than the SD600... Just how important is the Image Stabilization?* I realize this is subjective, but it the IS really worth the extra $100. I will* consider other cameras, but I really want an optical viewfinder, not just an LCD for framing shots. Any help much appreciated,*Andy
zzyzx409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:47 AM   #2

If it's important to you to not have fuzzy shots when not in sunlight, then IS is important for you.
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:18 AM   #3

zzy-

I agree with you and Mike. This is a very subjective thing. Before I purchased my Pentax K100D, I would have said, it is not that big a deal. However after using IS on the K100 for 7 weeks, I can honestly say that it has paid for itself several times over IMHO. In lower light situations, it allows you to easily shoot down to 1/8 second with ease. And to me that means a lot.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4

zzyzx409 wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a small point and shoot.? I've been looking at: Canon: A530 A540 SD600 SD700IS. My top two choices so far are the SD600 and the SD700IS, mainly because of size.? I really want a small size, just put in pocket and go. So since the SD700IS is about $100 more than the SD600... Just how important is the Image Stabilization?? I realize this is subjective, but it the IS really worth the extra $100. I will? consider other cameras, but I really want an optical viewfinder, not just an LCD for framing shots. Any help much appreciated,?Andy
I have it on my DSLR and would not buy another without it, but my compact Fuji F30 works fine without it. I went with the F30 because is shoots well in low light. It could be that the Fuji gets away with it because it tends to use a higher ISO than required, which means it is also using a faster shutter speed.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:31 PM   #5

Quote:
It could be that the Fuji gets away with it because it tends to use a higher ISO than required, which means it is also using a faster shutter speed.
Yup, instead of shooting handheld at 1/15 sec, you can shoot at 1/60 and boost the ISO 2 stops. So for the F30, ISO boost is as effective as IS--because it actually has the 2 stop advantage in image quality to back it up.

Still, the F30 with IS would be even better.

But for zz, the best coice is probably the SD700, since he wants the viewfinder, and I assume doesn't need manual controls. For me, the F30 can't be beat, since I wanted manual controls, and best all around image quality. Being able to pocket it is a bonus.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote