Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:05 PM   #11

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Or you could just leave a decent zoom fitted and put your camera in your backpack. Doesn't weigh much more than a hardback novel or two.
Exactly, the beauty of a DSLR is that you can start out using it like a Point & Shoot Ultrazoom with the right lens, but achieve better results because of the larger sensor. If you shop around, you can even do it for about the same price or a little more thanan Ultrazoom.

With an Ultrazoom it is the end of the road in terms of expansion capabilites. With a DSLR, you can do as little or as much as you want. There are many people here that will find out through experiance that they will buy an Ultrazoom and end up trading it in for a DSLR later. I was on the fence myselfwhen I was first looking at getting back into photographyafter many years of giving up the 35mm format. Luckily I was able to return my ultrazoom for a full refund.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:09 PM   #12

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
As someone who just recently got his first DSLR, allow me to bring up a few points. When I first opened the box and removed my beautiful new camera, my very first thought was, "Holy Cow! This thing weighs a ton!". And my camera is one of the lighter DSLRs available (Pentax K100D). If you are used to point & shoot or even super-zoom digicams like I was, the weight of a DSLR is something to get used to.

Another issue with DSLRs is the whole "dust on the sensor" thing. It can be a hassle, but easy enough to deal with.

Then there is the issue of expense. If you buy a good digicam that fits your needs, you're basically done spending with the exception of a bag, batteries and a memory card. With a DSLR you are NEVER done spending. There will always be bags, lenses, filters, flashes, new bags (because you added more lenses)....and the list goes on and on.

It sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of a DSLR...doesn't it? On the contrary. I LOVE my DSLR and I'm very glad I made the jump. But a big part of why is in my personality. If I thought I would be happy with another super-zoom digicam, I would have gotten one. But I knew that I would always have it in the back of my mind that I really want a DSLR. I'm looking forward to the whole process as a hobby, not just snapping a nice picture. Wether or not a DSLR is right for you is something only you can decide. Just be aware that it is very different. Good luck in your decision.
Oh cmon now, it ain't that heavy! LOL

The thing about DSLR verses the Ultrazoom variety of P&S cameras is that the Ultrazooms in some cases are just as big and almost heavy as the more compact DSLRs.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:15 PM   #13

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Oh cmon now, it ain't that heavy! LOL

The thing about DSLR verses the Ultrazoom variety of P&S cameras is that the Ultrazooms in some cases are just as big and almost heavy as the more compact DSLRs.
Compared to my Minolta Dimage Z1, it's pretty dang heavy! It's bigger too. But you're right...depending on which camera, they can be close in size.

I'm already used to the weight, but when I first held it I was shocked.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:20 PM   #14

thank you all for your sincere input, definitely helpful. I remember the first time I was awed by the photo clarity of my dad's old slr Canon rebel, but today from what all you say it appears for day to day use PTS digital cameras have caught up. I think photography as a hobby is appealing, but need to dig up more information. Cheers!
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:17 AM   #15

There are some ways that a P&S can compare to a dslr, and in inexpirienced hands they can certainly create equal or better images... but in the end they do not compare at all. There are many things a P&S just plain cannot do.

I'm not much of a snapshooter, I dont document family roadtrips, I seek out more challenging conditions and techniques to keep myself interested and to produce different and interesting photos.

I dont carry all my gear everywhere (because I cant!), but I fill my lowepro slingshot 200 with whatever I feel like using that day/trip and its usually quite heavy. Getting the most out of a DSLR does result in turning yourself into a pack mule, but its a flexible system and you can pare it back to the basics when you need to (body/one lens) and still get better image quality than a P&S.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote