Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

I am having such a hard time deciding. I've read the revies (except the C643, I didn't see one) and almost had decided on the Kodak V550. I like the compactness of it, and it has a viewfinder, which is a must. But then I wonder if I should think about going with a higher zoom and sticking with a "regular-sized" camera.

My current digital is a Kodak DC4800, and it's served me well. The V550, like my current one has a 3X optical zoom. One of the things about it though is that like my current one, it has a proprietary battery. I'm thinking that maybe it would be better and less expensive to buy one that uses more "common" rechargables.

The KodakZ650 seems to get a pretty good review, and it has the 10X optical zoom, but does not have image stabilization. I will be going to Australia zoon and though I want a good all-purpose camera (since I can't afford to buy a different one for each need), I'd like it to take both good outdoor scenic pictures and buildings, but also halfways decent indoor ones.

Both the Kodak V550 and Kodak Z650 can be purchased by me for $249 ... this is about my price limit. The Kodak C643 is $169.

When taking scenery, is it really bad to not have image stabilization on a 10X zoom? What's everyone's opinion on the Kodak V550 ... and is the need for a proprietary battery something I should let influence me away from it? (I'm thinking about having an extra one on hand at all times)

Finally, any thoughts about the Kodak C643 .. the price sounds good, but since I couldn't find a review of it..........

Appreciate any and all responses as I'm looking to make a decision in the next 3-4 days. Thank you all in advance.
glger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

glger-

Image stabilization is not available in the Kodak line until the Z-612 which is quite a good camera but is currently selling for about $ (US) 330. I own the V-550 and it is quite an able camera, but it has very poor battery life. That might not be ideal when traveling.I have attached a V-550 photo for you. The Kodak Z-650 while not having image stabiliztion is a very competent camera, with very sharp images. It uses AA sized batteries which is probably an advantage.

Keep in mind that you are often able to buy the Z-650 on ebay for less than $200, so that might be the Kodak camera to focus upon and to see if you can find a bargain.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:00 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I own the V-550 and it is quite an able camera, but it has very poor battery life. That might not be ideal when traveling.
Quote:
The Kodak Z-650 while not having image stabiliztion is a very competent camera, with very sharp images. It uses AA sized batteries which is probably an advantage.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was hoping someone would reply. Thank you, MT! I was afraid of the battery life with the V550. (My current Kodak DC4800 has a proprietary battery and on a trip, I'd usually have to charge it every other day or so. I've lost/misplaced the charger!)

When y ou say "poor", would I expect to have to charge it several times a week while on a trip if I'm an average picture-taker?

I like the look and feel of the Z650 (though I'd still like to go a bit more compact), but one thing that throws me off is the viewfinder. I've tried it in several stores, and it always is a "blurry" view to me. The picture turns out un-blurry, but what I see as I frame it is blurry. What I see in my old DC4800 is not a blurry image. I'm also not used to all the "data" shown in the viewfinder, basically everything that's on the LCD screen.

I don't know... maybe I should start my research over. I was limiting it basically to Kodak as it's confusing enough. But maybe I should look at Canon and other brands for a nice compact (not necessarily mini) camera with a pleasing zoom lens. In a way I'd like to go with more zoom than what I've been used to (3X), but I don't need to go all the way to 10X. I guess with a compact camera, I'm limited though.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:08 PM   #4

glger-

Well perhaps a good alternative is the Kodak C-875, which has 5X optical zoom and is selling for around $260 or the Panasonic TZ-1 with 10X optical zoom and IS in a very small package. It is also selling for around $260.

MT
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:53 PM   #5

My wife has the V530 and my sister has the C643. I much prefer the V530 (and V550 by extension). If battery life is an issue, buy a spare battery online for $20 and you'll be set for a few hundred pictures. I don't really like proprietary batteries, but these are small and not a big problem.

The C643 is rather cheaply made, IMHO. The V-series just feels and looks better made. They're also smaller, which is nice for travelling.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:32 PM   #6

Thanks again!

MT, the 2 you recommended were looking ok.... until I noticed neither has a viewfinder, which I definitely want.

I am still a bit interested in the Kodak Z650, but I'm wondering why the viewfinder is so blurry appearing to me.

Russ, thanks letting me know that the C643 is rather cheaply made. I keep seeing that one when I'm out looking, and it has some of what I'm looking for, but I haven't found any reviews of it before. I've been known to drop my camera; so I don't want something cheaply made.

I'm still considering the V550 too, but I think I'll take a better look at some Canons as well. I'll probably post questions under another thread for that.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:07 PM   #7

glger-

There are cameras in the Canon SD series that are small and do have IS. However, the are not inexpensive. The biggest bang for the buck, that also gives you an EVF, is the Kodak Z-650, or if you desire IS move up one step to the Kodak Z-612.

EVF's (Electronic Viewfinders) are simple designed to allow you to accurately frame the photo, they are not designed to give you full LCD image quality. The photo may indeed look somewhat blurry on the EVF, but the photo will be great. The EVF is just there to allow you to frame the photo.

MT
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:36 AM   #8

Hi.. a casual camera user here.

I own the V550 for almost a year now. Bought it when my old Kodak died on me and saw that the V530 had good reviews. I was also considering the Canon SD400. Since Kodak seems to offer the best bang of the buck, I went with the V550. I have been pleased with it.

My main consideration when choosing the V550 was that I want something that is:

1. Very light and compact. This was a big deal to me. V550 is nice and light, and it fits easily into my pants pocket. On the other hand, this will be a disadvantage if you're looking for a nice and firm grip on your camera.

2. Looks good. I bought the black V550 and with my Black Razr phone they look good together ... and also a consideration point, its body is all metal so it looks very stylish and sturdy as well.

3. Large LCD. 2.5 inch is more than enough for me.

4. Easy operation. Kodak, to me, offers the easiest operation possible. Menus are simple, navigation is easy, buttons are clearly laid out. On top of the camera there are stylish buttons that allow you to switch modes easily.

I have been pleased with its picture quality. It takes great pictures. Start up is VERY fast. Hit the power button and on you go, ready to snap pictures.

What I have found extremely helpful is the little 'blur' indicator on the LCD display that indicates whether the camera thinks the pictures are crisp or blur. It has saved me many times from having blurry pictures. If the indicator says its blur although it looks decent on the LCD, I took the picture again.

Indoor picture under low light conditions are a little trouble, just as is with almost all other compact digicam. For this, the "Scene" mode will be helpful. I like to switch the mode into "Indoor Parties" and it usually helps.

Night mode are nice too, but really really tricky. This is where IS would come handy I suppose, as my night-mode shots are usually blurry. They would look awesome, but I hardly can get any non-blurry pictures. I'd think a tripod would help in these situations.

I have casually compared the "auto" setting pictures taken from my V550 with my brother's SD400, and I believe V550 fares better. Hope this helps.

WidjayaMan is offline   Reply With Quote