Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:10 PM   #11

yes Benjamin Ive noticed that too
I much prefer the larger lcd of D70s
tho it has to be said both are very good

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:

yes Benjamin Ive noticed that too
I much prefer the larger lcd of D70s
tho it has to be said both are very good

Riley

Actually, both the main LCDof the Nikon D70s and the D50 are the same. (They have the same specifications)

Not one is larger than the other.

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:44 PM   #13

I thought the D50 was smaller
like the D70
but with the D70s, I think the larger LCD was the only difference?

Riley
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:03 AM   #14

Rriley, check this link>>>

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp

Both LCDs are at 2.0". Therefore, not one is larger or smaller than the other.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:11 AM   #15

The camera you choose really depends on whether you need the extra control the D70s offers. I own both, and find myself using the D50 more often mostly because it is a bit smaller. I typically use the D70s in studio/tricky lighting situations as the extra stops of Iso selection and better metering allow me to fine tune the exposure. The ability to control off camera SB600 and Sb800's is quite nice (although I can do so with an SB800 attached to the D50). The D50 is only marginally better at high ISO's out of camera especially if you nail the exposure with the D70s and after applying noise reduction the two are about the same.

Remember, the D70s technically isn't older than the D50..they were both released in April of 2005 (although the D70s is nearly the same camera as the D70, released in 2003) and is still listed in Nikons lineup. Speculation that it will be discontinued first, is just that..speculation. This also shouldn't factor into your decision.

In terms of selling you pics, there are many Royalty Free microstock companies out there...Shutterstock, Fotolia, Istockphoto, bigstockphoto, dreamstime, etc. There is usually an application process where you submit photos for review or take a test before you can begin selling your pics online. Pics generally earn you anywhere from .25 (from shutterstock) up to a $1 or so per download. All these sites have different standards so what sells or is accepted at one will not necessarily sell or be accepted at another. The key to making money is having a diverse portfolio. Shots of flowers, landscapes and sunsets do not sell well (or even get accepted very often) as there are so many out there. People shots (you will need model releases) and concept shots are the best sellers, and with a decent sized portfolio of quality images one can make an extra $75+ per month.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:33 AM   #16

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
The camera you choose really depends on whether you need the extra control the D70s offers. I own both, and find myself using the D50 more often mostly because it is a bit smaller. I typically use the D70s in studio/tricky lighting situations as the extra stops of Iso selection and better metering allow me to fine tune the exposure. The ability to control off camera SB600 and Sb800's is quite nice (although I can do so with an SB800 attached to the D50). The D50 is only marginally better at high ISO's out of camera especially if you nail the exposure with the D70s and after applying noise reduction the two are about the same.

Remember, the D70s technically isn't older than the D50..they were both released in April of 2005 (although the D70s is nearly the same camera as the D70, released in 2003) and is still listed in Nikons lineup. Speculation that it will be discontinued first, is just that..speculation. This also shouldn't factor into your decision.

In terms of selling you pics, there are many Royalty Free microstock companies out there...Shutterstock, Fotolia, Istockphoto, bigstockphoto, dreamstime, etc. There is usually an application process where you submit photos for review or take a test before you can begin selling your pics online. Pics generally earn you anywhere from .25 (from shutterstock) up to a $1 or so per download. All these sites have different standards so what sells or is accepted at one will not necessarily sell or be accepted at another. The key to making money is having a diverse portfolio. Shots of flowers, landscapes and sunsets do not sell well (or even get accepted very often) as there are so many out there. People shots (you will need model releases) and concept shots are the best sellers, and with a decent sized portfolio of quality images one can make an extra $75+ per month.
I like your posts. They are always full of interesting, correct information and usually advice. I think I am going to check out some of those sights how see how little my work is worth.

[align=center]:|[/align]
By the way, in your Avatar, are you the one with the makeup? :lol:

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:27 AM   #17

arrrhhh
thanks for straightening me out Benjamin

Riley