Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:56 PM   #1

Well first off let me say that i have looked through many of the camera message boards and find this one to be very informative covering a lot of various subjects & very well organized.
so with myself being the newbie into the dslr world, after my head has stopped spinning from trying to gather as much info as i can here's a little background then my questions.

I am retired, always used just the plain & simple point & shoots.
been kicking the idea around of using the dslr, dependent upon if i can even shoot any decent pictures after learning to use it correctly of which I'm sure I'll pick up several pointers from here, then try & make a little extra income from selling the pictures.

will be shooting mainly landscape, animal, outdoors shots.

now for the questions:

* what are the chances of even selling a few photos with being new to the field.

* i have it narrowed down to nikon, either the D 50 OR D 70 - s, also considering pentax K100.
would these be suitable for what i want to do with the camera, if not then what recommendations would you make.
I have heard the D 50 is tweaked a bit to give better color than the D 70, true or false.

* as far as prints, i read were the D 50 you can only make up to 6x8, is that correct, how big of prints can one make or have made with these nikons.

* when buying a used camera you never know what your actually getting, what would some of the things be one should look for.

* I'm thinking of just buying the body only (new or used) then pick up a used lens & just build from there, with that said & the type of shots i will be taking which lens would you recommend.

* when buying a used lens what should one look for.

* remote or cable shutter release, which is best.

* is the program raw shooter any good.

* the nikons only go to iso 200, not a big deal even in bright sunlight is that correct.

joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2
Administrator

joee wrote:
Quote:
now for the questions:

* what are the chances of even selling a few photos with being new to the field.
That's impossible to answer. But, I wouldn't count on it. You've got photography skills, marketing skills, post processing skills, business skills and many other factors involved in selling photos (not to mention that a lot of people are buying cameras thinking that a good camera is all that is needed).

Judging by your questions about things like ISO speed, you've got a long ways to go before you even understand the basics of photography, much less the skills needed to produce marketable images (depending on your intended target market).

Buying a great typewriter doesn't make you a novelist. ;-)

Quote:
i have it narrowed down to nikon, either the D 50 OR D 70 - s, also considering pentax K100.
would these be suitable for what i want to do with the camera, if not then what recommendations would you make.
I have heard the D 50 is tweaked a bit to give better color than the D 70, true or false.
For Amateur use, these would be fine. As for color, you can vary the camera settings to get a similar look from them, and then use an editor for further adjustments.

For professional use, it depends on your target market. For example, some magazines and stock agencies may want higher resolution images now.

Quote:
* as far as prints, i read were the D 50 you can only make up to 6x8, is that correct, how big of prints can one make or have made with these nikons.
You can print as large as you want to. As for the quality, it's going to depend on the subject type and the way the images are prepared.

Lin Evans has a good forum post on this subject HERE

Quote:
* when buying a used camera you never know what your actually getting, what would some of the things be one should look for.
A reputable dealer that stands behind their products. ;-) If you go used, check out these vendors. I've purchased from all of them in the past.

http://www.keh.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
http://www.adorama.com

Quote:
* I'm thinking of just buying the body only (new or used) then pick up a used lens & just build from there, with that said & the type of shots i will be taking which lens would you recommend.
I'd check in our Nikon Lenses Forum if you go that route for tips and suggestions, depending on your budget. You can spend a lot or a little on glass, and there are many considerations (for example: center sharpness, edge sharpness, distortion, contrast, color, chromatic aberrations, flare resistance, focal range, brightness, build quality, size, weight, cost, ergonomics, bokeh, Autofocus Speed, and more).

For example, a Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus Lens sells for around $1,500 at reputable vendors. Do you need a lens that good? That's up to you.

Ditto on the long end for Wildlife. For example, a Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 G-AFS ED-IF VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Lens sells for around $5,100 at reputable vendors. Are there less expensive alternatives? Sure there are.

There are MANY choices in lenses, and your budget can play a big role in what may make a good fit for your needs (not to mention considerations like size and weight).

You may even want to go with a kit lens (or lenses) as a start. Consider it a tuition fee. Then, use them for a while so that you'll have a better understanding of your needs and where your equipment is a limiting factor.

Chances are, your skill is gong to be the biggest problem initially versus the quality of your lenses.

Quote:
* remote or cable shutter release, which is best.
I haven't used Nikon's wireless remote. But, some of the Nikon users in the forums may be able to tell you if it has any "quirks" compared to a wired remote.

Quote:
* is the program raw shooter any good.
A lot of people like it. The developers assets associated with this product have been purchased by Adobe. So, this product will probably vanish once Adobe Lightroom is finalized. There are many choices in raw converters available, and most have trial versions that you can download to see how you like them and how they fit your workflow.

Quote:
* the nikons only go to iso 200, not a big deal even in bright sunlight is that correct.
The lowest ISO speed on some of the Nikon models is ISO 200. Their DSLR models go up to ISO 1600 (or even higher with some models).

Read the reviews here for cameras you are considering, and make sure to check out the review conclusion sections (last page before the sample images in each model's review). That's where you'll find a lot of discussion about how a camera stacks up to similar models in various areas.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:02 PM   #3

your right, I'm putting the cart before the horse so scrap the idea of selling photos until i learn what i'm doing.(nice dream anyway)

i have decided to go with the pentax 110, for what i'll be doing i don't thinki will really needthe k100D, just hope down the road i won't regret it though.

seems like lenses for the pentax are not really plentifull on the used market side but over time i should be able to find a few.

so what do you think, am i making a wise investmentin my camera needsby going into the pentax world.

joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:00 AM   #4

The "Pentax world" has been around for a long time with film cameras so there's a good pedigree there.As for lenses there are numerous aftermarket suppliers (Sigma, etc.) who can supply glass at less-that-manufacturer prices. Finally, while now looking away from the D70 since the introduction of the D80 (it's replacement) you may be able to find D70's at fire-sale prices.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:24 AM   #5

Quote:
you may be able to find D70's at fire-sale prices.

Actually, the Nikon D70s still seems to be able to hold it's price very well; besides it being introduced so long ago. Now, it still cost significantly more than an Alpha A100 kit at my location. The Alpha A100 kit cost about US $880 here, and the Nikon D70s kit cost about US $980.

It is alsointeresting to note that, the US $750 Nikon D50 kit seems to be fairly cheaper than the US$980 Nikon D70s kit here.

The Nikon D80 kitis just ridiculously overpriced in my opinion; starting from US $1400on wards. The entire kit is also lighter than the D70s kit which could indicate cost saving materials used.

Just for theinformation, the EOS 400D kit cost about US$880 here. (Same as the D70s kit price today - interesting)

Besides the recentUS$100 drop in the 6MPD70s kit price to the current price, it can still match the newest 10 MP cameras out there today in price. (If still not $100 more than the A100 kit)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:02 AM   #6

for my money it would be the D70s
this because the additional feature list applies to my photography requirements
and because the price isnt so far above the soon to be passe D50
the saturation issue you mention is editable in camera

D70s has a larger LCD, that has brighter easier to read menus

The D70s has a an additional LCD on the camera top

The D70s has wireless control for Nikon Speedlights making off camera flash more usefull

D70 has white balance finetuning, and allows fine control of white balance. Important were mixed light sources are encountered

Alone none of them are deal breakers/makers. But together with other refinements they make a much more useable kit.

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:03 AM   #7

Code:
the saturation issue you mention is editable in camera
Remember that the D70s produces more natural looking images by default; than the Nikon D50 model. Natural in this case means images that does not seems to have noise reduction applied by default, saturation applied by default, and etc...

I got all this information by looking at images captured by the Nikon D70s & D50 at their respectivedefault settings. I then compared them.

Code:
D70s has a larger LCD, that has brighter easier to read menus
Both the Nikon D70s & D50 are similar in this area; as far as I know.

Code:
The D70s has a an additional LCD on the camera top

Both the D70s & D50 have the status panel LCD, but the D70s' one comes with an LCDback-lighting.

Additionally, the D70s have ISO selections at 1/3 E.V. steps increments, TTL viewfinder grid-lines, 2 command dials (main & sub)as opposed to one, a more advance metering function that prevents overexposure and highlight clippings,supports micro-drives [mini hardisks], have a place for a hard LCD protector, and a slightly faster multiple burst mode. It also have a D.O.F. preview button if you are interested.

Finally (based on my observationson testimages), the Nikon D70s seems to have far lesser red channel or chroma noises in general at higher ISO. Images also tend to looks more crisp and defined. (No visible N.R. artifacts and no obvious lost of details at ISO 1600 - 2 secs exp.) [Plenty of mono-chromic noise]

The Nikon D70s tend to have more moire in it's images, but at the same time is also looking more crisper. (Based on observation of various images; from both D50 & D70s)

****Most importantly, the lens will be a very important factor in image quality.****

Here is something I cannot confirm: Some users at dpreview forums claimed that the build quality of the D70s is better than the D50 model.

One thing that everyone should know by now: The D50 have cleaner (more noise-free)images at high ISO!

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8

I think for your purposes a factory reconditioned D50 would be great. They can be found very cheap on EBay or via Sigma4less. I was going to go that route then I looked at the D80 and what sold me was the greater customization, depth of field preview, and most importantly the viewfinder is infinitely better. The only 3 major things the D50 does not have that the D70s has is mirror lock up, 2 command wheels, and depth of field preview. The auto focus and exposure control were slightly improved in the D50 over the D70s. The Jpeg output of the D50 is much improved over the D70s'. So I would suggest that you get a D50 or D80. For me the viewfinder alone was worth the extra money for the D80. My eyes are not as sharp as they used to be so every bit helps. The next step up the D200 does add the nice ability to use manual lenses. That was almost enough to make me get a D200, but I could not swing the cost. I had a hard time with the $999 for the D80 body. I did get a 18-70 used lens. I paid about $200 for the lens, not the cheapest I have seen it for, but it was very clean and came with a UV filter (not going to get used unless I am some place I am worried about the lens getting damaged) and a circular polarizer that is a nice bonus. I have found EBay a good place for used lenses and many have had good luck with KEH, B&H and Adoroma. The only thing with EBay is check the user feedback and if it is less than good I would find another seller.

On non-Nikon I would keep an eye on the new Pentax. I might get one as a second system to be able use some of the excellent used manual lenses, but that will be more for specialty uses like Macro.

By the way the D80 goes down to ISO 100, but I think that was more of a response to user demands, and I don't think it is a big deal.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Administrator

miatapaul wrote:
Quote:
I think for your purposes a factory reconditioned D50 would be great. They can be found very cheap on EBay or via Sigma4less.
Be very careful buying Nikon gear.

A number of Ebay vendors are selling gray market cameras (cameras not intended for sale in the region they're being sold in).

If you buy a gray market camera, Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Nikon distributors in other Regions have a similar policy.

Some of the larger vendors also sell gray market gear. For example, Sigma4Less sells both Gray Market and Nikon gear intended for sale in the U.S. They usually list the gray market gear as "Imported".

So, make sure you're buying gear with a Nikon USA warranty if you want to be able to get it serviced by Nikon here. Nikon USA will refuse to service gear that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them to do it.

I'd also make sure to read the "fine print" carefully if buying from an Ebay vendor (or any other vendor for that matter).

A number of discounters sell gray market cameras, often with misleading warranty decriptions (for example: one year US warranty, which may be a store warranty versus a Nikon USA warranty).

Now, some Ebay vendors sell Nikon gear that' s intended for sale in the U.S.

For example, CametaAuctions is a reputable Ebay vendor (they sell only Nikon cameras intended for sale in the U.S.). They have both new and factory refurbished gear for sale on Ebay.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

If I am not mistaken, I believe that the Nikon D70s will be discontinued first before the D50 by Nikon. However, it seems that the D70s model is increasingly unpopular here in my area. Whenever I go to a camera store, I can always see plenty of D70s and hardly any D50's. (Seems like nobody wants the D70s already - must be why the price had dropped) [Earlier it was going for US $1055]