Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1

I've been reading until I'm bleary eyed, so am jumping in for suggestions. Hobbyist photographer. Most prints are 4 x 6 or 8 x 10. Family, local events & nature type shots.

I need a light weight camera. Can't swing heavy bodies with heavy lenses. Imagine stabilization or anti-shake feature highly desired. Aperture and shutter wheels on the body a huge plus. Or a control system that doesn't boggle the mind. Decent sharpness and color out of the box also a plus.

Doesn't have to be the newest model on the market. Really, all input greatly appreciated.
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Administrator

The Pentax K100D and Sony DSLR-A100 are the only currently shipping DSLR models that have stabilization built in to the camera now.

Pentax has a newer model that will be shipping later this year (K10D). But, it's going to be a little heavier (better build quality, dust seals, etc.) compared to the K100D.

The only discontinued models with stabilization are the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and 7D. Konica Minolta was the first company to include built in stabilization in their DSLR models. Their camera manufacturing assets were acquired by Sony earlier this year, and the Sony DSLR-A100 is using a stabilization system based on the one used in the Konica Minolta DSLR models.

The Pentax K100D also happens to be one of the smaller and lighter DSLR models around.

But, your lens selection is what will be a determining factor in the total size, weight and cost of the package.

Nikon and Canon don't offer DSLR models with stabilization built into the camera. But, they do have some stabilized lenses available.

You'd need to look at each lens on a case by case basis to see size, weight and cost. Canon's stabilized lenses will have IS (Image Stabilization) in their description. Nikon's stabilized lenses will have VR (Vibration Reduction) in their description. Their smallest DSLR camera bodies will be the Canon Digital Rebel XT (and new Rebel XTi) and the Nikon D50.

Panasonic will be shipping their DMC-L1 with a Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Stabilized Lens soon, too. It will list for $1,995 with the lens.

Any lens you use on the Pentax K100D, K10D, Sony DSLR-A100, Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D or 7D will benefit from their in body stabilization.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:41 PM   #3
TDN

Agreed with JimC.

In-camera stabilization will probably be better for you.

If you want stabilization with Canon or Nikon you will have to buy a recent, more expensive lens.

If you want stabilization with the manufacturers with in-camera stabilization, you can use a 20 year old lens you got off ebay for 5$...

So I would go with the Pentax K100D or Sony A100 if I were you.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:44 PM   #4

Thank you both. I've been studying the K100 off and on all day. Haven't exactly figured out where to press the "buy button" yet

Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:05 PM   #5

One more question? I swear I can not figure this out by looking. The K100 uses SD cards? yes? Are they the normal thin ones I already have? or fat square ones?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:35 PM   #6

Capella-

The Pentax K100D uses the standard thin SD cards that you already own. BTW, I also own a K100D and it is a really great camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:39 PM   #7

Thank you mtclimer,

I've been looking at them way too long. I just couldn't tell which they were. I think I'll take a nap look for a buy button to push.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:48 AM   #8

Capella, weren't you the one that had that long thread in the panny forum that had lots of trouble with the FZ30? if you've mastered that camera, you're going to love the images the K100D produces. i myself upgraded in July from the FZ30 to the pentax istDL and have not been disappointed. if you need image stabilization, go for the pentax. sony is $300-400 more, and the canon and nikon image stabilized lenses referred to earlier run in the $400-500 up into the $1000s (check out ebay if you don't believe me!). you can get great deals on zoom lenses on ebay, many for under $100 (i got a brand new sigma 28-200mm macro zoom for $75). you won't be disapointed with that camera!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 AM   #9

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
Capella, weren't you the one that had that long thread in the panny forum that had lots of trouble with the FZ30? if you've mastered that camera, you're going to love the images the K100D produces. i myself upgraded in July from the FZ30 to the pentax istDL and have not been disappointed. if you need image stabilization, go for the pentax. sony is $300-400 more, and the canon and nikon image stabilized lenses referred to earlier run in the $400-500 up into the $1000s (check out ebay if you don't believe me!). you can get great deals on zoom lenses on ebay, many for under $100 (i got a brand new sigma 28-200mm macro zoom for $75). you won't be disapointed with that camera!
milrodpxpx,

I'm so sorry you remember YES, that's me with the dreadful FZ30 - LOL. I did finally get a grip on it and I did finally sell it. I was *never* happy with that camera. Long story, inappropriate for this thread. I have been using my FZ20, which thank heaven's I never got rid of.

Great to hear your input about liking the Pentax and your other remarks!

Ok, nobody panic, but I think I'm going to get the Samsung GX-L1. The Panasonic nightmare kind of influened this a bit. I studied the Pentax vs Samsung most of yesterday. The Samsung actually states it's designed to let the novice take good shots right off and then learn as you go. Plus, It's just less expensive to try out. Geeze, if I goof again I'm going to jump off a roof. I had two wonderful Samsung p & s film cameras back in the day and I loved them. So, I'm more than willing to give the new kid on the block a shot.

Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Administrator

Capella wrote:
Quote:
The Samsung actually states it's designed to let the novice take good shots right off and then learn as you go.
It's a rebadged Pentax.

There's nothing wrong with it. But, you wouldn't get the stabilization you wanted.

As far as being "designed to let the novice take good shots right off and then learn as you go", that's just marketing hype.

The Pentax K100D has the same picture and scene modes features, and also gives you the advantage of stabilization with every lens. There is also *very* little price difference from what I can see in the price search engines (the K100D with a kit lens is under $600 at a number of online vendors).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote