Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1

:??:? HELP!!!! I am currently shopping for a new digital camera, and am looking to step up to a SLR. Right now I have a point n' shoot digital.

In the old days, I always used a 35mmSLR Minolta, and loved the versatility it gave me for my nature photography hobby,,,and I would like to now switch to an SLR forthe sameoptions.

I have saved up all year for this opportunity, and now that I am ready to purchase one, I am soooooo confused at all my choices! Right now I think I have narrowed it down to 2, maybe 3 cameras. Looking at those with 8-10 megapixels, they are: Nikon D200 or Canon EOS 400. Any opinions or advise??? Friends that I have asked have suggested to sticking between these 2 namebrand choices.

Thank you!

'Shutterbug Nana'

Pennsylvania, USA

Attached Files
File Type: (0, 0 views)
shutterbugNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:48 PM   #2

I can't help you with your choices since I'm not familiar with them (I own the Pentax K100D) but you might also want to consider the K10D which is due to release next month....just to add to your confusion!! :-)
JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:44 PM   #3

Nikon D200 vs Canon 400D?!

D200 is a semi-pro model, 400D is Canon's entry-level model. They can't be compared.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4
TDN

shutterbugNana wrote:
Quote:
Friends that I have asked have suggested to sticking between these 2 namebrand choices.
They're wrong. It would be foolish not to compare all options.

You say you had a minolta, do you still have lenses for it laying around? If so, the minolta lenses will fit on the Sony A100 I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

If they are very good lenses, that cost you a lot back then, maybe the Sony system might be worth looking into.

Other than that, I can guarantee the quality of a Pentax DSLR, since I have one myself, just like other people will guarantee that of a Canon, Nikon or Minolta/Sony.

As for your 2 suggestions, the previous poster was right, the D200 and 400D can hardly be compared...

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:06 AM   #5

Edvinas wrote: "
Nikon D200 vs Canon 400D?!
D200 is a semi-pro model, 400D is Canon's entry-level model. They can't be compared"

Sure they can. Thats like saying the 10D could not be compared to the Digital Rebel. These cameras were almost identical with the exception of the body and the 10D was considered Prosumer. When it comes down to it, the picture that comes out of the camera and how that camera suites the user wins over what level a company rates their own camera. The specs are not that far off anyway.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d&show=all

You mention nature photography... Is this going to be the main use of the camera? Are you shooting mostly still subjects or flying and fast moving subjects?

If still then you really don't need a fast continuous rate camera like 5fps. 3fps will do just fine. The difference between 10 and 8 mp resolution is practically a mute point so you should not let that be a major deciding factor.

I suggest a 20D. You will still get your 5fps, low noise levels and you can pick one up below $1000.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote