Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1

To my mind, the LCD finder on the back of most cameras is a very inferior accessory.

Why? Because (unless you're using a tripod) you have to hold the camera at arm's length whenever you take a picture - and if there's a way to introduce camera shake, surely that must be one of the worst?

I think an LCD would be far better if it was part of an eye-level finder, so that you could get the extra stability that comes from holding the camera against your face. Does anybody feel the same way?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:17 PM   #2

Almost all super-zoom or prosumer-type non-DSLR cameras (Canon S3-IS, Fuji S5200 and S9000, Nikon 8800, Panasonic Lumix FZ30 and many others) have the regular LCD viewfinder and an EVF, or Electronic Viewfinder, which is essentially an eye-level LCD. These are a mixed blessing - they are easier to use in bright light than the back-mounted LCD and while they give you a true through-the-lens view, they can be difficult to use because they generally lack enough resolution to enable you to judge focus properly, especially in low light. They also black-out momentarily when a shot is taken and while it's loading to the memory card, and 'freeze' while the camera focuses, just like the regular LCD does. Some cameras deal better with these issues than others, but the surest way to avoid them is to go with a DSLR, with it's optical TTL viewfinder.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

I'd happily trade the LCD for a bigger EVF....

Since starting this thread I've found some sites that describe some sorts of clip-on gadget that fits over LCDs, but they look a bit clumsy & awkward.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:24 AM   #4

Those clip-on LCD covers are a waste of money, IMHO. If it's too bright to use the LCD as a viewfinder, the little bit of shade these things provide isn't going to be much help.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:19 AM   #5

well i dont agree

i find the lcd helps me visualise the photo on my monitor, and assists my composition strengths. bigger screens make composition faults easier to avoid

white ballance deficiencies are much more obvious, and controlled inputs for correction become more evident

while some are better than others outdoors, most suffer from reflections not on the screen but from my face to the screen. wearing a broad hat helps this

you get a broad area to place all the current settings, speed aperture flash frame number etc

better too for what are rangefinder cameras, you get a free slr like function. cheap and nasty rangefinders with heavy parralax issues where you cannot see flare in the lens adequately. where you cannot match the edges of the frame accurately. that do not work well with zoom lenses

while getting for free a thru the lens view, you are untroubled by slr deficiencies like limited flash sync (mine goes to 1/2000th sec), sensor dust, generally heavy bulky shapes and battery chewing capability

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:45 AM   #6

The main LCD on my Fuji S5200 is almost useless in bright light even when shaded by a wide-brimmed hat, so I almost never use it as the viewfinder. The EVF is far more effective because when you hold your eye up to it the rubber eyecup helps exclude ambient light. Using my left hand as a shade is helpful too, while providing additional stability. In any case, a DSLR's optical TTL viewfinder is always superior.