Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1

http://www.dslrphoto.com/2006/08/25/...ugust-28-2006/

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:39 AM   #2

As I understand, those were 1-week sales. Certainly interesting but hardly useful for trending purposes. Nikon and Canon both have new DSLRs coming out - so their sales will jump and Sony's will dip. For this market you really need to look at year-long sales figures - even quarterly sales are misleading if you're launching in a different quarter than your competition.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
As I understand, those were 1-week sales. Certainly interesting but hardly useful for trending purposes. Nikon and Canon both have new DSLRs coming out - so their sales will jump and Sony's will dip. For this market you really need to look at year-long sales figures - even quarterly sales are misleading if you're launching in a different quarter than your competition.
Who said it was useful for trending purposes? Look at the subject line. I simply posted a link that I found interesting and the article explains it all. I don't see anything misleading as long as someone reads the article. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but for the most partanyone reading the article should be able to draw their own conclusions.

Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4

Now, now - let's try to keep this on an adult level.

I have a right to my opinion - and that opinion is that a one-week time period is an insignificant amount of data to draw useful conclusions. The point again - when Nikon releases a DSLR their sales will go up right away. When Pentax does, their sales will go up. So, since anyone is allowed to draw their own conclusions I invoke my right to do so - my conclusion is: that's not a significant piece of information. Sorry if I didn't come to the conclusion you wanted me to come to - but it doesn't make my conclusion any less valid than yours.

If you don't want opposing view points, you shouldn't be in a public forum.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:31 AM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Now, now - let's try to keep this on an adult level.

I have a right to my opinion - and that opinion is that a one-week time period is an insignificant amount of data to draw useful conclusions. The point again - when Nikon releases a DSLR their sales will go up right away. When Pentax does, their sales will go up. So, since anyone is allowed to draw their own conclusions I invoke my right to do so - my conclusion is: that's not a significant piece of information. Sorry if I didn't come to the conclusion you wanted me to come to - but it doesn't make my conclusion any less valid than yours.

If you don't want opposing view points, you shouldn't be in a public forum.
Telling me to keep it on adult level is completlypatronizing,insultive and immature, whichcontradicts your advice to keep it on an adult level.

No one is suggesting you arenotentitled to draw your own conclusions. Who said I didn't want opposing viewpoints? I didn't have a viewpoint except to post an interesting article I found interesting. I didn't post a conclusion so how can you compare my conclusion with yours? You don't know what my conclusion on the article was.

As far as whether or not data from a weeks sales is significant, that would depend on what you are comparing within the data presented. If we look at the figures from the Panasonic Sales verses the Sony sales, I would say there is a huge significance in salessince they came out around the same time. Not part of the reason I posted the article, but merely an illustration. Sure there many factors why there is a huge difference, but it is still interesting information. You make not think a weeks sales are significant, but try telling that to Sony, Nikon, Canon or Pentax. I'll bet they find it significant.

I don't mind opposing viewing points, but your points made it sound as if they were contradictory to my viewpoints, when I had not expressed any viewpoints. If you can't handle my post, which was inthe interest of clarifying the fact that I did not present a viewpoint, maybe you should be the one abstaining from public forums. BTW, again contradicting you advice to keep it on an adult level. Now, the only conclusion I feel free to drawbased on your responses is that I can tell you own a Nikon or a Canon. Not thatowning one of those is a bad thing.... just my conclusion.

Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:40 AM   #6

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but for the most partanyone reading the article should be able to draw their own conclusions.

This was the basis for my statement to keep it on an adult level. Please re-read my post - at what point did I say anything durrogatory about you. I merely pointed out that misleading conclusions could be drawn from looking at such a small slice of data. And, in response to that you make durrogatory statements about me or my post.

Please, my intent is not to get personal - I apologize if I came across that way. I'd like to drop all personal attacks. Again, sorry if something I said came accross as a personal attack.