Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I have looked everywhere for the Canon A620 as this has been a camera that has gotten great reviews. I checked with Newegg and they have ran out. J&R told me they will not get it again, they guy said he thought it was discontinued but I had called Canon and they said it was not. I have checked with other people like Beach Camera and they want $299.99. Does anyone know where else I can get the camera for a good price? I checked ebay but got all confused with so many vendors. I live in New York City so if anyone has an idea of a reputable store besides Circuit City, Best Buy and PCRichards. All these stores don't have it. B&H lied to me and told me it was discontinued. Please help also what disc is the best one for that camera I want to get a 1G or 2G but don't know which one is the best one at an affordable price. I am confused as there seems to be a few different kids.

Thanks Lily165
Lily165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:46 PM   #2

It is in fact discontinued. Not sure why Canon told you it wasn't. To them it may not be technically so but no (orvery few) retailers have them in stock. The ones that do are charging a premiumfor them as you've discovered.

dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:25 PM   #3

But why would Canon say it's not discontinued when it is?. My friend who has the camera told me she didn't think it was because the camera is only a year old. August 2005. So it doesn't make sense to discontinue a camera that is very popular. I believe what the lady at Canon told me.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:52 PM   #4

Isn't the A630 the replacement for the A610 and A620? I don't know why Canon is saying it isn't discontinued either, neither can be found at any of the most common retailers now.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:32 PM   #5

Honestly I believe that the stores are telling people it's discontinued just to sell you something else just because they don't have it in stock. It's a tactic they use. They guy at B&H told me that the A630 is the replacement for the A620. The lady at Canon told me that the A630 and A640 were exactly the same as the A620just that the A630 had a 8.0 Megapixel and the A640 had 10 Megapixels all in all the only camera that has gotten great reviews is the A620 that is why I don't want to buy the other 2. Yes a few others like the FujiF30 has gotten awesome reviews and a few others but for now am sticking with the A620.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:35 PM   #6

You can believe what you want but you'll either need to pay full retail or go the ebaY route.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7

I might try Newegg many people say it is a great place to buy. Or I might eventually have my brother shop for one at ebay since he is more experienced. Want to thank everyone for responding to my post. Now if I can just find out what sandisk or whatever you call the film piece, I should buy I would appreciate it. I am also thinking about the Fuji F30 heard great reviews on that camera also. And the F11.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:54 AM   #8

Lily165 wrote:
Quote:
all in all the only camera that has gotten great reviews is the A620 that is why I don't want to buy the other 2.
Well, the A630 and A640 just barely got released last month soyou're not going to see many reviews yet but the few reviews that are posted on dpreview are very positive. The A610/620's have been out for over a year so obviously there has been plenty of time formany reviews. I have the A610 and love it and I wouldn't think twice about buying the A630 or A640 based on my experience with my A610. You can buy the A630 for $260 from buydig or you can buy the A620 at a premium, it's your choice but if it were me I'd buy the A630, larger LCD screen (but same amount of pixels as the A620 so I suppose that could be a negative to some), more megapixels, safety zoom, etc. Here's a link to the two cameras...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...nona630640.asp

As far as an SD card, I always use SanDisk.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:10 AM   #9
Administrator

Lily165 wrote:
Quote:
All these stores don't have it. B&H lied to me and told me it was discontinued.
OK... J&R tells you they think it's been discontinued. B&H tells you it's been discontinued. The major distributors the dealers buy from don't have any. The vast majority of dealers have run out. And yet, you accuse one of the most reputable dealers around of lying to you (and by the way, their sales people don't work on commission and have no reason to mislead you).

The Canon rep you talked to is the one that doesn't know what they're talking about. A camera model has a limited production run before it's replaced with a newer model. They don't keep a production run going forever for products like a Digital Camera, since newer models to replace them come out often and the manufacturing facilities are needed to produce them.

It may be considered a "current model" by the manufacturer. But, that doesn't mean it's still being manufactured any more. When that happens, for all practical purposes, it's discontinued, since they are no longer being manufacturered or shipped to distributors and dealers. They don't make it anymore and everyone ran out.

The A610 and A620 were first introduced last year. They've been replaced by the A630 and A640.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:25 PM   #10

You should try e-bay. That is where I bought mine for $200. I just checked, and there are several for around $170. Good Luck.:-)
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote