Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:47 AM   #21

Quote:

Wait until you see the full reviews before gettting the new Sigma.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ph...o-report.shtml

As usual, the SD14 looks fabulous! :|

Iwonder why the camera isn'tgoing to be priced at US $900 with the kit lens;as Steve originally stated in the Sigma forum.

If it was really priced at US $900, it would easily be mine lol...

Is it true that the dust protector over the image sensor is also the I.R. filter? I heard that it can be removed for I.R. photography. (Sounds very interesting)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:20 PM   #22

Here in Israel things are pretty cool now , we had a combat with Lebanon and now it is over, you know it sounds wierd but you get used to it after a while, means you try to continue your routine a much as possible, but now the war with lebanon is over and we can continue to talk about much more interesting things - Photography for example, so ldon't think it is like heck here, it is not, we live in a great area , funny that people think that Israel looks like a desert, he he :-), they only saw the far south part, in the center its all sunshine , hightech buildings, restaurants and fun fun fun... so what do you say about buying a lower price cam for a starter like me for example the 400D Kit and that's it (sounds cool when you say it!)

I can get the 400D kit + grip +1 GB card for 980$
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:51 PM   #23

I am relieved to hear that situations are nowfineat your area. :-)Latelywe Christians were very concerned about the whole thing over there.

http://www.dpreview.com will most likely be coming up with a review of the CANON EOS 400D (DIGITAL REBEL XTi) soon. I think it would be agood thing to read a review, expecially a good&detailed reviewlike dpreview'.

Currently, there is a preview at the site;http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos400d/

Remember to watch the video of the EOS dust reduction system. :-)

Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:39 PM   #24

Tell me does the bayer sensor realy invents colors ? if so why pros use it and not the foveon one ?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:50 AM   #25

Quote:

Tell me does the Bayer sensor realy invents colors ?

It really have too, considering that eachphoto-detector of a Bayer image sensor can only record one color. (R, G, or B) As you may already have known.

Quote:

if so why pros use it and not the foveon one ?

The main reasoncould bebecause, that the SIGMA dSLRs doesn't offer (some of) the pro features that other camera has; that the pros will be needing. For example:

Kelvin (temperature) white balance settings: or white balance color temperature settings, white balance fine tuning, white balance bracketing, ISO selections at 1/3 E.V. increments,high ISO performance, high ISO quality, TTL viewfinder grid lines, R.G.B. histograms, flash bracketing's,color hue settings, and etc...

Adding tothe fact, thatthe Bayer image sensorsare nowon par with theFoveonX3 image sensors in color reproductions, and better at higher ISO performance;the professionals would certainlychoose other dSLR cameras or pro-sumers over the SIGMAFoveon X3 cameras.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:09 AM   #26

A topic like this always brings out a wide variety of opinions. Here is a link to a tool that gives a nice snapshot of all the research/review available on this topic:

http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=whic...hould+I+buy%3F

Also try:

http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=my+first+DSLR
yogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:20 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
As usual, the SD14 looks fabulous!
It looks fabulous, but if you had listened to the report you would have heard that the image quality from the prints on display looked quite poor.

That's why you should wait for a proper review.

Quote:
Tell me does the bayer sensor realy invents colors ? if so why pros use it and not the foveon one ?
It doesn't exactly invent colours, it interpolates values. Which isn't quite the same thing.

Each pixel needs an R,G,B value. Consider trying to "guess" a R value for a G site. How do you do it? At random? No, what you do is you look at the values on either side of the G where R was measured. If both of those values are say 125 then it's not a bad guess to assume that the value in the middle will be 125. That sort of guess is very accurate. It gets harder where the two values differ by a lot. Say one value is 100 and the other is 200. This is the sort of trouble you have at object edges. And there are lots of ways of being clever about guessing the right value.

Do an internet search for "Bayer Interpolation Algorithms" there are many different types and the ones that are bettter are usually slower, which is one reason why shooting RAW makes sense; you can use a better but slower algorithm for interpolation because you have a big computer to do the calculation and more time, instead of the little computer inside the camera that has to work really fast.

The reason pros use cameras with those sensors is because actually the Bayer interpolation algorithms are actually very good in general, and although they "guess" what 2 out of 3 values are for every pixel they do it so well that the advantages to be gained from a "true" measurement like the foveon are not very significant compared to the disadvantages.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:05 AM   #28

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
As usual, the SD14 looks fabulous!
Quote:
It looks fabulous, but if you had listened to the report you would have heard that the image quality from the prints on display looked quite poor.

That's why you should wait for a proper review.
That's pretty Funny!
UtterShutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:02 PM   #29

can someone point me to a web site that explain it in details, just for general knowledge.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:33 PM   #30
Administrator

http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/MCCL/pubs/dwnlds/bahadir05.pdf

http://www.dalibor.cz/files/Ting%20C...erpolation.pdf
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote