Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:45 AM   #11

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
You are told the truth.

Canon again has gone too far disabling features of it's entry level cameras.
While I don't totally disagree with you, answer me this:

What is the 'right' stopping point? What features should be included on an entry level model while still being able to retain a market for the next level model? Canon and Nikon love to segment their markets. So, what is the appropriate cut-off that will give the entry level model what it needs without robbing sales from the 30d?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:36 AM   #12

I asked myself the same question when the 400D came out and came up with an answer of "No'. The increase in megapixels did not warrant to cost of a new body and I could not find enough new features to make it worth while. I'll stick with my XT and D Rebel.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:24 AM   #13

I did trade in my XT for the XTi. I do a lot of bird photograpy(which entails a lot of cropping).Both the increased megapixels and improved nine point focusing were worth it to me.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:15 PM   #14

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
What is the 'right' stopping point? What features should be included on an entry level model while still being able to retain a market for the next level model? Canon and Nikon love to segment their markets. So, what is the appropriate cut-off that will give the entry level model what it needs without robbing sales from the 30d?
Features which are in all other the same level competitor cameras shouldn't be removed. Only Canon produce DSLR with no spot metering. Only Nikon produce DSLR with no mirror-lockup and DOF preview.

I don't think that people buy 30D just because 350D and 400D don't have spot metering. It offers a lot more than just spot metering.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:47 AM   #15

I agree stay with the Rebel XT, XTI not much diffrence in megapixels. Never notice the diffrence. I compared with a friends new XTI. We printed 5x7 and saw no diffrence in photos. He ended up taking back his XTI and stuck with the Rebel XT for now. He was very upset.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:30 AM   #16

The Canon XTi has a sensor cleaning system, surely this is a worthwhile addition?
Cameraman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:42 AM   #17

Cameraman321 wrote:
Quote:
The Canon XTi has a sensor cleaning system, surely this is a worthwhile addition?
It is if it proves out to work. Unfortunately it will probably take 6 months or more to get accurate real-world feedback on how effective the technology is.

To me sensor cleaning is all about the learning curve - once you know how to do it, it becomes relatively easy. So, if this eliminates the need completely then it's great - people don't have to learn how to clean their sensor. But if it just reduces the frequency of cleanings then I'm not sure it's that big of a deal in the real world. In other words if today a person cleans their sensor every 3 months. If this technology reduces the frequency of cleanings to 6 months or 9 months there isn't much of a gain (it takes me about a 1/2 hour to clean my sensor - the first time I spent over an hour doing it). So, if you have to clean it at least once you've already had to invest the money in the products and the time to learn how to do it. So, at that point it really isn't as great a feature as marketing would lead you to believe. But, if it means in the 18 month life cycle of that camera I never need to clean the sensor then it's great.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote