Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:02 PM   #11

JimC-wow thank you I did not know that at most ill be about 20 feet away from the subject so zoom is not important,but thank you for the recommendation.
robbo-Thank you for the reccomdation but and ill check it out.
also does anybody know about how much less the shutter lag is with the p880's firmware update mentioned in this review? http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/p880_pg5.html
thanks again-lane
the_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:14 PM   #12

Hi there. I just got a P880 (Err.. two weeks or so ago. ), and, I'm really liking it. When pre focused, the shutter lag is real zippy. When not, (which I don't really reccomend) and you do a full press, it seems like it might be 0.6 or something.

I'm on the latest firmware. And, outdoors, focusing seems real fast. And not too bad indoors. The ISO 50-400 range has pretty low noise. Considering the kind of camera it is.

Anyway, I really like my camera. But, you might need more zoom for 20ft paintball action. The zoom is pretty nice. For most of my shots. And even using 1.4x digital zoom gives good quality.

Um.. if you want to look at a different camera...

You could look at the Kodak P712. Its supposed to be real zippy. (Read Steve's review) But, Steve does mash the image quality outdoors. (Mainly noise and softness.) but, other reviews don't mention noise to be much an issue. Also, I've heard good things about it from owners. Its a 12x with IS.

Um... lets see.. .anymore... You might want to take a look at Canon's big zooom models.

One last thing on the P880, you can also get a 1.4x telephoto lens for the camera, and on top of 1.4x digital zoom, it'll get you up to 274.4mm. Along with the 24mm wide angle.

Anyway, I can highly reccommend the P880 for landscape, macro, portrait, still life, and other typed of photography that doesn't require a lot of zoom.

Basically, you should try the camera in store. And see if the zoom is good enough for your needs.

Cheers.

-En
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:41 PM   #13

Well, thanks everyone for their opinions,inshight and help!But after thinking about it why get a camera that i will replace in a year and not be happy with.so i have decided to get a Dslr.thanks againeveryone!

-lane
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:12 PM   #14
Super Moderator

That's probably a good choice in the long run, but now begs the question which option are you going to go for..... hmmmm now the fun really begins.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My main suggestion is think about where you might want to take your shooting in the future and get a camera that will grow with you. If you think you might get into sports more and more then I would suggest Nikon or Canon as they are going to be best supported with lenses.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:24 PM   #15

Well right now i'm looking for a camera in the sub 700 dollar range and right now its between the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D50(or 50D i don't remember which.)EDIT: Im using a friends cannon 30D when i can and any good learning sites to get me learned about Dslrs'?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:29 PM   #16
Super Moderator

LOL.... that's cool. Canon are number then letter and Nikon are letter then number so it is the D50. Personally I would go Nikon for previous reasons but the K100D seems to be getting popular.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:06 PM   #17

yeah ive noticed the popularity of the K100D and i like the image stabalization on it.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:35 PM   #18
Super Moderator

I have just moved from a Konica Minolta 5D with bult in Image Stabilsation which was very good to have, but for me going to Canon is a better move long term.