Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

I am looking for a camera that can do a bit more than my hp.First off sports photography is probably going to be 70-80 percent of what i am doing, so shutter lag is one of my main concernes.I do NOT need any more zoom than probably 5x...i <3 wide angles. I have used both on barrel(sorry for the terminology) and motor driven zoom/focus...also <3 manual.
with that all said i was looking at the Kodak p880,it is everything everything everything I'm looking for except one thing,almost a second of shutter lag=baaad action photos, so if anyone with this camera can convince me otherwise or show me something w/ the same features for around $400 you will have my undying gratitude (which is hard to come by:G).thanks-lane
the_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2

There are going to be many flaws with P&S cameras for sporting shots. What type of sporting events are you planning. If you want a fast camera (delay and continuous burst) then look at the Canon's. Indoors the Fuji's would probably be the closest to what your looking for. The Sonys are just too slow in burst modes and from shot to shot for action. Check out the burst mode on the Kodak too.

If you are really going to shoot that many sporting shots then, by far, the best thing you can do is go for a Dslr.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:49 AM   #3

I would check the startup and burst times of the camera. Canon Rebel XT is really good in this aspect though it is around $200-250 over your budget. But for the extra money you get a versatile digital SLR camera that seldom takes a bad picture. Here is a link to a tool that could help you in researching further:

http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=affo...ts+photography

yogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

yogs

Why don't you stop spamming us with links to another site thatis designed to compete with this forum eh?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:49 PM   #5

Lane,

What types of sports are you planning on shooting?

I've responded to many of these types of threads and here is my best advice: make sure you see samples of what a camera produces in the sports you plan to shoot with it. There are lots of opinions based upon specs, but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Sports shooting is very demanding of equipment and the photographer so make sure when someone recommends a camera for sportshooting (or any type of shooting for that matter) you see gallery level results of what the camera can do. Everyone can get that one great shot - that's not indicative of how the camera performs. Want to use it for baseball, say - if I were in your shoes, I would want to see an entire gallery - say 30-50 photos - illustrating what the camera is capable of.

This way you are sure you're getting reliable recommendations and what a responder thinks is 'great results' is in agreement with what you think 'great results' are. Then you don't end up wasting $400 when your expectations were more than the product can deliver.

The other side benefit to this approach is you will have seen the given camera is capable of getting what you thought were acceptable quality results. So, when those results don't happen you don't jump to the rash conclusion it was the camera's fault (we all do this ) - on the other hand, if you can't get someone to show you full gallery of photos of the types of sports you're going to shoot, then it sshouldn't be a surprise when you buy the camera and it doesn't perform to your expectations.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you specific advice on a sports camera under $400 as I have not personally used such a camera for sports shooting. I do a lot of it, but I use a DSLR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:42 PM   #6

Hello peripatetic

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of a forum. The whole purpose of a forum is to encourage a discussion and accept different view points. If these are expressed elsewhere, a simple link is more than sufficient to reference it - why reinvent the wheel? It is not competition, it is collaboration. The goal is to get the answers you need. I follow several other forums too, and most users are happy to provide and reference links to topics already discussed elsewhere. If you have issues with that approach, you are welcome to create your own personal group (and not use the word forum) where collaboration is restricted.
yogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:04 PM   #7
Administrator

I'm going to side with peripatetic on this one.

These links are to a commercial search engine, complete with popup advertisements, which I personally find quite annyoying, even though Firefox blocks most (but not all) of them

In my book, posting links to it in a forum is spam, and it does nothing to help support this site, or give information that a member couldn't find by themselves by using the search engine.

Since we are a digital camera review site, I'd suggest posting links to Steve's reviews when members ask questions about a camera that you can't answer yourself. ;-)

If you haven't noticed them, you can get to them from this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

You'll also find that Steve maintains a Best Cameras list, where models that are deemed to be a good value within their market niche are grouped into categories to help potential camera owners narrow down their choices.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:21 PM   #8

yeah ive seen that its on the best camera list and read the review for the p880 wich brought me to the question at hand and the sport im going to be taking pics of is paintball.
JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to side with peripatetic on this one.

These links are to a commercial search engine, complete with popup advertisements, which I personally find quite annyoying, even though Firefox blocks most (but not all) of them

In my book, posting links to it in a forum is spam, and it does nothing to help support this site, or give information that a member couldn't find by themselves by using the search engine.

Since we are a digital camera review site, I'd suggest posting links to Steve's reviews when members ask questions about a camera that you can't answer yourself. ;-)

If you haven't noticed them, you can get to them from this page:

You'll also find that Steve maintains a Best Cameras list, where models that are deemed to be a good value within their market niche are grouped into categories to help potential camera owners narrow down their choices.

the_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:40 AM   #9
Administrator

I'm not familar with shooting paintball. But, it seems to me that something with a bit longer lens might be desirable, unless you're relatively close to the action (or don't want to isolate any one participant).

A focal length equivalent to 140mm on a 35mm camera isn't a very long focal length for most sports.

Don't go by the x factors you see advertised for zoom (3x, 4x, 5x, etc.). That only tells you the difference between wide and long.

For example, a 30-90mm is a 3x zoom lens. A 100-300mm lens is a 3x zoom lens. One pulls in the subjects more than 3 times closer on the long end of the zoom range compared to the other one. ;-)

So, look at the focal range versus the x ratings when comparing models. With non-DSLR models, the best way to compare them is using the adveritised "35mm equivalent" focal range.

Also, as I see you've noticed, the AF speed isn't anything to write home about.

As others have pointed out, a DSLR is your best bet for sports. But, if you're on a budget, and you're taking photos in good light (most non-DSLR models probably won't "hack it" in poor light), I'd probably take a look at the ultra-zoom type models instead.

If you like Kodak, then the newer Z620 appears to be a bit better performer compared to the P880 you're looking at.

But, buffer flush time is bit slow (taking quite a while to flush an 8 shot burst to media before you can shoot again).

I'd make sure to read Steve's conclusions for any model you consider to see pros and cons.

One thing to watch out for with EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) equipped cameras (and most longer zoom non-DSLR models use this type of system) is viewfinder blackout between photos, which can make it harder to follow action. . Some are better than others, and Steve usually comments on them in the Conclusion Sections of reviews. You also tend to get a slight delay from real time with an EVF.

I'd make sure to "test drive" models in a store before making a decision on what you're willing to live with (speed of operation, ergonomics, viewfinder usability, etc.). No one camera is going to be "just right" for everyone.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:17 AM   #10

I would consider a Fuji FinePix S5200. It's not perfect, but it focuses fast, has a short shutter lag, and does ok in dim light. 10X optical zoom. 38-380mm equivalent.

You can get it for less than $250 online.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote