Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:33 PM   #1

I need advice on which camera would better suit my needs. I am on a budget of around 1,000- 2,000 dollars, but I would like to stay around 1,5000. I previously owned a sony DSC- F717 and loved it. But I take mostly outdoor shots ( nature and such), but I do take a lot of motion shots, so the a high shutter speed is a priority.

I like Sony and I have several memory sticks and stuff but I have heard that the Alpha did not really live up to its expectations. Also any input on the image stabilization would be nice, I will not be using a tripod and I am not very skilled.

I would also appreciate some suggestions on a general purpose lens.

Thanks for the Help
tylerbstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Don't forget the Pentax K10D. Looks like you need some Vibration Reduction/Image Stabilization/Shake reduction, etc. and for that budget you can get a lens/body set up that would be hard to match in Canon/Nikon, especially if you can wait for the upcoming DA* lenses (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092102pentaxdastarlenses.asp). Look around in this forum for comments about it, people seem very excited about it... is this the awaited pentax' comeback?
sputnikenmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

tylerbstephens wrote:
Quote:
I need advice on which camera would better suit my needs. I am on a budget of around 1,000- 2,000 dollars, but I would like to stay around 1,5000. I previously owned a sony DSC- F717 and loved it. But I take mostly outdoor shots ( nature and such), but I do take a lot of motion shots, so the a high shutter speed is a priority.

I like Sony and I have several memory sticks and stuff but I have heard that the Alpha did not really live up to its expectations. Also any input on the image stabilization would be nice, I will not be using a tripod and I am not very skilled.

I would also appreciate some suggestions on a general purpose lens.

Thanks for the Help
The major reason the Sony did not live up to expectations is that most of the current Konica Minolta owners expected it to be a step up from the KM 5D that it is based on. In some ways it is a step up, but there are some complaints about higher noise at high ISO speed than it's predecessor. The extra noise is a result of the cramming 10MP where only 6MP existed before. There are also some who are disappointed that they eliminated the 3200 ISO setting. In reality 3200 ISO is just 1600 extended electronically.You can actually get similar results by underexposingatISO 1600 and then adjusting the image through software. Of course that involves work, which some aren't willing to do. I try to avoid using ISO 3200 except when it just means getting the shot and living with the noise.

Then there are those who own a KM 7D and expected the Alpha to have more pro style controls like the 7D. Hopefully Sony will introduce a higher end model soon to meet the needs of users that want a higher end camera.

The advantage to the Sony over its predecessor is that 10MP will allow you to print larger size prints because 10MP buy you more resolution. Someone printing poster size prints will probably post process so the extra noise is of little consequence. The Sony also has the anti-dust feature, a larger buffer for continous shooting, better dynamic range. One feature that they added but it a big deal is that the camera begins to autofocus as soon as your eye approaches the viewfinder. To me that is not a big deal since I can emulate that by depressing the shutter as I raise the camera to my eye. It was easy for them to add that to the camera because the previous model already had eye senors in place to turn of the LCD display as you shoot pictures.

If you read some of the more recent reviews including those of actual Alpha owners, you will find more positive comments than the initial reactions. The Sony is actually a good camera, butI believe it is geared more for someone who doesn't mind post processing or can get better pictures out of the box by using their photographic skills. I don't think it is good for someone wants to use it as a point and shoot and expectexcellent results out of the box. If you are willing to put an effort into photography and willing to learn and work with software it is a fine piece of equipment.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:46 AM   #4

In my opinion, the SONY ALPHA dSLR-A100 will be a very good contender toward the NIKON D80 and the CANON EOS-400D.

[align=left]For one thing (Over the Nikon D80), it has a build in CCD shift image stabilizer system, anti-shake dust reduction system (indium tin oxide coating on the CCD's low pass filter), and the hardware based D.R.O. (dynamic range optimizer). The advance mode provides superb dynamic range across the 10 mega-pixel CCD. (As if you were metering for both the highlights and shadow areas - all this in a flit of a second; it is more like a very advance metering system) Above allthat,the A100also have high key and low key metering modes for specific shadow or highlight control.[/align]

[align=left]TheAlpha A100will be agreat all rounder dSLR for those looking to get more advance IMO, withit'sset ofhandy features.[/align]

[align=left]Ofcouse, if you are the type that always use the main LCD a lot under outdoor situations (That can get really sunny) to check focus etc..., the A100's main LCD is the only one in here thathasan anti-reflective coating on it. (In fact, it seems to be the only dSLR out there with one on it's LCD)[/align]

[align=left]A feature like eye-start A.F. that the others in heredoesn't havecan just be added on as an extra feature. (The A100 is a dSLR with some tricks up it's sleeve)[/align]

[align=left]Finally, the Sony A100 has all the usual dSLR features including the more advance ones like Kelvin W.B. settings, and W.B. color temperature fine-tuning, W.B. fine-tuning (Blue - amber/Green - magenta), etc...[/align]

[align=left]Compared to the A100;[/align]

[align=left]The Nikon D80 have W.B. fine-tuning and KELVIN W.B. settings as well. The EOS 400D have the dust-reduction system and W.B. fine-tuning features as well.[/align]

[align=left]What the A100 doesn't have that the Nikon D80 have;[/align]

[align=left]ISO boost to 3200, Noise reduction options like (off, normal, medium, high), auto ISO custom set like (ISO 100 - 800 or ISO 100 - 1600 etc...but no using ISO 3200), ISO selection at 1/3 E.V. steps, B&W filters, and in camera image touch ups.[/align]

[align=left]The difference of the D80 to the A100 are mostly software based, compared to what the A100 have over the D80. (Beginning) Are mostly hardware based.[/align]

[align=left]The EOS 400D seems to be a cut version of the Alpha A100 in features. It does have the anti-dust over the D80 though.[/align]

[align=left]The Sony Alpha dSLR-A100 also have the highest extinction detail resolution, if you are interested in that kind of things. (Basically it scored better results than the Nikon D200, D80, and the EOS 400D on the resolution charts)[/align]
[align=left][/align]
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:30 PM   #5

The K10D certain looks to be a promising camera. But, these days it's a bit of a requirement to look promising. I can guarantee you there will be people dissapointed and those who will be extatic when it is finally available.

If you are not buying yet, do wait for the K10D to see how it turns out. If not, the K100D is still a great camera. Stabilization built into the body saves you A LOT of money if you feel you need the feature.

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]
Did you fall on your enter key?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6

Sorry, something went wrong with my stupid notebook computer. :?

I corrected the issue already, but the format went crazy as you can now see above. (Basically every time I edit the post, the gaps will get larger and larger)
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote