Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:13 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have posted a thread regarding the importance of Image-Stabilisation, and I was considering whether to buy a Canon EOS 400D or a Sony A100 as my first DSLR. After reading about both cameras I decided to avoid the Sony, based on the issue of NOISE. :?

My current P&S Sony P100 camera is terrible in low light conditions, and noise generally renders the low-light photos I take unusable. From what I've read, I imagine the A100 has similar issues, in which case I feel the Canon is a better choice.

However, I recently read about the new Pentax K10D camera. It seems to have everything I could need from a DSLR, including built-in Image Stabilisation.

I was wondering whether Pentax are considered good in terms of quality of picture. I've heard many great things about Canon Lenses and their amazing picture quality. Are Pentax far-off?

In essence, I am wondering whether buying a Pentax over a Canon is a mistake.

Thanks for any help,

Pavan.

navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:12 AM   #2

navap wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering whether Pentax are considered good in terms of quality of picture. I've heard many great things about Canon Lenses and their amazing picture quality. Are Pentax far-off?

In essence, I am wondering whether buying a Pentax over a Canon is a mistake.
Buying K10D definately won't be a mistake.

Pentax does not have such variety of lenses as Canon, however Pentax lenses are excellent optically and equivalent focal range/aperture and quality lenses from Pentax are cheaper than lenses from Canon.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:22 PM   #3

As for lenses goes, Pentax is a classic. I actually own one of the lenses described in this article below, and now that I see that Pentax is here to stay with products with the specs that the K10D has, I wouldn't switch to canon or nikon (which i considered at some point).
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml
sputnikenmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 5:14 AM   #4

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies, especially for the link to the article on Lenses. I didn't realise how much a short history lesson in the manufacturing of lenses could help open my eyes a little wider, so thank you.

I've had a 35mm Pentax in the past, and must admit I loved its picture quality (especially in terms of saturation and contrast), but find when I look back, the picturesare not as sharp as on other cameras. I guess that is where my worries with a Pentax DSLR began. However, looking at it now, to someone like me, I guess the minor difference between cameras is not going to matter so much, and the Pentax SLRs are in no means 'bad'.

Which Pentax lens would any of you say is the best 'all-rounder', possibly for use with the K10D? A lens with a good 'general-use' range and good optics? I'm fairly new to the world of SLRs, so which lens would be great to start off with?

Thanks for your help,

Pavan.
navap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:17 AM   #5

Pentax has posted sample pictures from the K10D. Click this link to view.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:55 PM   #6
TDN

Quote:
Which Pentax lens would any of you say is the best 'all-rounder', possibly for use with the K10D? A lens with a good 'general-use' range and good optics? I'm fairly new to the world of SLRs, so which lens would be great to start off with?
phew, that is like the thoughest question you can ask about lenses

Everyone will answer this one differently.

To start off with, the 18-55mm Pentax kit lens is not bad, although I personally like a little more tele-power. (although the 18mm wide end is really nice to have)

But remember this: there is no such thing as "the perfect allrounder".

Gaining zoom range will mean loss of quality. Not necessarily sharpness or colors, but more barrel distortion/pincushion (when straight lines get bent) is the standard issue with 28-200 or 18-200mm lenses.
On the other hand, the zoom range is really nice to have.

I went for this option and ignored the barrel distortion with the Tamron 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 XR. (pictures with this lens here: http://tdn9.be/photo.php?id=35 )
A lot of people like the 28-135mm or 28-105mm range better, because it has less distortion. Especially the Pentax made 28-105mm gets great feedback, but I'm sure the Sigma and Tamron counterparts are good too.

all these lenses will give you some more flexibility than the basic kit lens.

If money's not an issue, look around for some really nice glass...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote