Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:41 PM   #11

Oops! I just checked and Fuji F-30 zoom range is 36-108mm. I really need something wider near 28mm. Are there any good low light compact cameras with wide zoon end?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:57 AM   #12

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
With low-light performance and compact, you're not going to find any better than the F30.

ditto
magic word "lowlight"

F30 outruns anything else in low light

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:17 PM   #13

What you guys think of Canon PowerShot SD800 IS? This new camera is compact and seem to have great features. It has high ISO up to 1600 but it is a little more than $350.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:25 PM   #14

I love Canon, but dont read into what it says it can do in ISO capability. Check the reviews at dcresource and you'll see how good it does. I would never use an elph at 1600 ISO....it would be incredibly grainy.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:47 PM   #15

I think the SD800IS is probably your best choice, and it's not that much past $350--it's under $370 shipped at Dell and at Butterfly Photo.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd800-review/

The SD700 has been one of the best cameras in this class, and is now available for about $60 less. But, for the additional cost, you would be getting alot of additional features you probably want:

*The wider angle (starts at 28mm)
*7 MP
* higher resolution LCD
*face detection focusing
* Newer Digic III processor

One drawback is that the telephoto end of the lens is not bright, with a maximum apperture of 5.8. So for your indoor lower light shots you will really have to keep it at the wide end of the zoom for best results.

But the combination of IS and useable ISO 400 will serve you pretty well indoors, and the Canons are generally good outdoors as well. Plus they are loaded with features, a convenient size, and easy to use. Really no significant shortcomings there for a camera in this class. I'm not sure you'll find the combination of IS, compact, decent ISO performance, and wide angle easily elsewhere. Though the flash might not be as strong as you'd like.

The Panasonic FX07 migth be closest. It's ISO 400 and above performance is reportedly not as good, but otherwise it's similar, is quite a bit cheaper, and I'm really not sure it's that much different in low light overall.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:30 AM   #16

You really have to decide how important low light performance is to you vs. how important zoom is to you.

I think the real problem is that a bigger CCD means better low light pictures, but you need a very small CCD to get a big zoom in a pocket camera.

I mean, nothing compares to the F30 at higher ISOs, but they only have a 3X zoom. Panasonics have some big zooms with small cameras, but the low light performance is terrible.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:31 AM   #17

Hi friends!

I´m new here, but I´m in the same boat, looking for a compact camera for less then US$ 300,00.

I´ll buy from ebay!

What do you think about the Casio models?

They have very good reviews here in steve´s Digicams.

I´m looking for the EX-Z750 or EX-Z850, is there anything better from other brand?

Thank you.
Pino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:41 AM   #18

Pino
welcome
please start a new thread stating your requirements

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:43 AM   #19

yes i have the kodak c875 and im amazed with this camera
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote