Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1

I've jumped all over the place on camera decisions so now i'm just kicking the idea around of the minolta maxxum 7d.

with it being an older model (minolta going poof aside) would it be a big mistake if a guygot a D7 at a decent price.

joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2

I believe you mean "7D", but regardless with the 3rd party and Sony lens support if you can find one at fire-sale pricing go for it.Minolta has a long history in photography. They didn't go "poof" because they made bad cameras, just some unfortunate business decisions. I'm always looking for a good deal. If you find one in the 7D, good for you.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3

joee wrote:
Quote:
I've jumped all over the place on camera decisions so now i'm just kicking the idea around of the minolta maxxum 7d.

with it being an older model (minolta going poof aside) would it be a big mistake if a guygot a D7 at a decent price.

It is the best buy in the industry if you can get one. Myself and many others have more than one especially since the price dropped below sanity levels recently. They are available for about a third of the original price in the US.You missed a clearance price of 599.00 that Walmart had about a month and a half ago. That's when most of the existing 7D ownerspicked a second, third and even fourth 7D. You simply cannot buy a camera with all those features at any price. No one else makesa camera with as many external controls and Image Stabilization built into the camera. In that respect it has no equal and probably won't until Sony decides to release an equivalent model.

As for anyrepair issues, Sony covers the warranty. When they first took over they were having a parts issue but it has gotten better. Under warranty when they didn't have the parts, they were reimbursing consumers for the purchase price rather than to keep someone waiting, but now they seem to be fixing them instead of buying them back. Actually most 7D owners would prefer the repair especially if they got one at a bargain price.

Out of warranty they have been prorating the buyback price for up to seven years, but like I said, the parts situation and repair turn-around time has gotten better.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Its main competitor would probably be the Canon 30D, they each have thier own strong points but I personally like the antishake and ergonomics of the 7D (especially the external controls). Considering how cheap you can find the 7D for right now, its a wonder that everone dosent own one.

On second thought, its a bad horrible terrible idea. Please tell me where the deal is so I can remove that camera from the market.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:32 PM   #5

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Its main competitor would probably be the Canon 30D, they each have thier own strong points but I personally like the antishake and ergonomics of the 7D (especially the external controls). Considering how cheap you can find the 7D for right now, its a wonder that everone dosent own one.

On second thought, its a bad horrible terrible idea. Please tell me where the deal is so I can remove that camera from the market.
Yeah, we don't need anymore KM owners buying up our lenses and creating a shortage.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:59 AM   #6

joee wrote:
Quote:

The 7D is a great camera. Hard to come by these days.

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:23 AM   #7

I agree that the K.M. 7D is great in build quality, external controls, and features.

HOWEVER, I am not impressed by it's high ISO noise reduction and soft images at higher ISOs; with strong colored noises. (Especially from the red and blue channels) The camera also have black pitting & hot pixels at long exposures. The Nikon D70s doesn't have any hot pixels or such thingeven with N.R. switched off.

Also frankly speaking; concerning high ISO performance:

The K.M. 7D, when compared to the NIKON D70 at higher ISO (ISO 800 - 1600), the Nikon D70 images looks crisper (Per pixel sharp), better defined (edges& transitions), and most importantly of all"More Detail retentions". (Where most cameras fail at the higher ISOs due to N.R.)

I don't think youall would want me to postanymore extensive links to test sites, and photos etc.... (People already complained aboutthat last time)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote