Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:49 AM   #1

Dear Friends !

It is too late for me in my 50 to be a professional photographer and send my pictures to Time or Herald Sun. But I like to take pictures and I would like to buy a suitable camera. At the moment I use 3 year old Canon IXUS 400 but I want something better.

Also I do not want to change lens and look into the viewfinder. So, probably I need an ultra zoom camera with reasonable lens .Also I would like to make micro .

So, I made a research and I found a few cameras, such as the latest Panasonic FZ50, Sony Cyber-shot DSC R1 and Samsung Digmax Pro815. Have I missed any other camera ? They released Panasonic just a few months ago, but Sony and Samsung is 1 year old which is a bit confusing for me. I am not sure if it make any sense to buy an old product. By the way, Panasonic is AU$900, Sony is AU$1,300 and Samsung is AU&1,000.

My question is – are you familiar with this cameras and which one is the best ? Is it a visual difference between 8 and 10 megapixels if I am not going to print bigger pictures then A4 ? Also, as for A4 format, would 6 magapixel camera be enough ?

Thanks !

Anatoli
Anatoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:13 AM   #2

I would like o make micro .

So, ISorry, I sent a question before, but it was invisible !? So, I have to repeat it.

It It istoo late for me in my 50 to be a professional photographer and send my pictures to Time or Herald Sun. But I like to take pictures and I would like to buy a suitable camera. At the moment I use 3 year old Canon IXUS 400 but I want something better.

Also I do not want to change lens and look into the viewfinder. So, probably I need an ultra zoom camera with reasonable lens .Also I would like to make micro .

So, I made a research and I found a few cameras, such as the latest Panasonic FZ50, Sony Cyber-shot DSC R1 and Samsung Digmax Pro815. Have I missed any other camera ? They released Panasonic just a few months ago, but Sony and Samsung is 1 year old which is a bit confusing for me. I am not sure if it make any sense to buy an old product. By the way, Panasonic is AU$900, Sony is AU$1,300 and Samsung is AU&1,000.

My question is – are you familiar with this cameras and which one is the best ? Is it a visual difference between 8 and 10 megapixels if I am not going to print bigger pictures then A4 ? Also, as for A4 format, would 6 magapixel camera be enough ?

Thanks,

Anatoli

Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:24 AM   #3

Quote:

Dear Friends !

It is too late for me in my 50 to be a professional photographer and send my pictures to Time or Herald Sun. But I like to take pictures and I would like to buy a suitable camera. At the moment I use 3 year old Canon IXUS 400 but I want something better.

Thanks !

Anatoli

Anatoli, it isalwaysnever too late to be a good photographer. (If you are really passionate about it, you can even become a pro!)

You say your are looking for an "ultra zoom" camera that can take good macro shots? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-R1 fix lens pro can zoom up to 5x (optical zoom) for your information, whereabout the Samsung Pro815 can zoom up to 15x optical zoom!

The Samsung Pro815 also have a 3 cm macro focus range whereabout the SONY DSC-R1 has the closest focus range of about 30 cm. (Just to inform you)

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50has a 12x optical zoom lens, and it has a macro focus range of 5 cm; which isn't bad.

Overall, if you understand the specs, you can decide by looking at them above; and see how they will apply to your needs. (Shooting lifestyle)

Feelfree to ask questions.

BTW, the SONY DSC-R1 is a different class of camera from the above list. It has a much larger image sensor than the rest in here, and as a result, that camera is placed in the dSLR league of camera.

DSLR cameras have large image sensors just like the R1 fix lens pro. In fact, the R1 has a larger image sensor than all the OLYMPUS dSLRs. (Currently) Obviously if OLYMPUS stays with their 4/3 systemof their dSLR cameras (without going bigger), the image sensor of the R1 will always be bigger than the 4/3 system image sensor of their dSLR cameras.

Also keep in mind that the SONY DSC-R1 fix lens prohave awider anglefocal length thanthe othertwo cameras in here.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 = 35 mm (normal)

Samsung Pro815 = 28 mm (wide angle) [Huh? Not bad at all mann!]

SONY CYBER-SHOT DSC-R1 = 24 mm (wider than 28 mm) [By how much in real life; I don't know]

Let the more professional advice.

Regards.

BTW, don't WORRY aboutthe older cameras. If they are good, or sometimes even better than the newer cameras; then there is nothing to worry about really. :-)

EDIT:

I want to warn you that the Samsung Pro815might not be such a good camera. I suggest that you read user opinions and reviews of it. BTW, I got my informations from here.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:26 AM   #4

N.T.

Sorry, this was a double post.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:51 PM   #5

Thank you very much for your answer. As you can see, probably not too many people can give me a good advice. But why do you reckon that Samsung is not a good camera ?

By the way, I found another very interesting camera. It is Rocoh R5. It has 7 optical zoom and a very good micro. So, I am thinking to know a bit more about Ricoh R5 and use it just for micro. As for the telezoom, probably I need to find something else. Let's wait for any other experts here !?

Best regards,

Anatoli