Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

A bit confused considering the XTI is almost half the price of the 30D and in many ways looks to be an upgrade or very similar to the 30D. What am I missing that warrants a price tage of 1500? Also unless I have previous Nikon lenses, what would be the benefit of the Nikon D80 as compared to the XTI? If any1 could help out, I'd really appreciate it. Also if there is another post commenting on this, I didn't see it so sorry.
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:07 PM   #2

Alright, you spoiled the fun for me by including the EOS 30D. Now itlooks like agrade 10 warrior entering into grade 6 battleground.

The CANON EOS 30D have the best high ISO performance in here, best build quality in here (Magnesium Alloy body), best continuousshooting capability and speedin here, best performance overall in here (Overall camera speed/responsiveness in general), and some other nifty features.

On the bad size of things, The Canon EOS 30D cost the most in here (body only). But the camera have one of the best external controls IMO!

If I could bring the Sony Alpha dSLR - A100 in here, I would liketo see how itchallenge the competitionin here.

Good luck with your decision!

Oh, and don't forget that CANON LENSES are the most expensive on average! (That should keep you thinking more) :idea:

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:21 PM   #3

The D30 is actually not that expensive (in the US)...it's about $1200 (body only) and there is some sort of coupon thing coming soon or already out where ppl can get $100 off...$200 off if purchased with a lens. Not sure on the details...search around.

That said, the 30D is not so much better as Ben would have you believe. Yes, it's build quality is leaps and bounds over the XTi, but not that much over the D80. Yes, it's ISO performance is better than the XTi and D80, but I don't think it's THAT much better. It's all relative, I guess...I own a D80 and havea 20D (same as 30D for the most part!) at work, so I've used them both.

The D80, believe it or not, has features the 30D doesn't. It has a better (albeit slightly) viewfinder, it's smaller and lighter (the 30D is big and heavy). The D80 has some in camera photo editing options, it has a commander mode for wireless flashes, and other little things that add up in the end.

All the advantages over the 30D listed above hold over the XTi, including better battery performance. The viewfinder is one of the biggest deficits of the XTi in comparison to the D80 and 30D. But, other than that (like all dSLR's), it can provide awesome images.

And the XTi is small. This can be a good thing, or not.

There arehigh's and low's to each of these camera's.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

the biggest difference between the D80 and 30d is build quality and speed. AF and FPS make the 30d a better choice if you're shooting action or fast moving objects. Otherwise, the differences aren't as clear cut. I just got a D80 after shooting with a D70s and D50 and the noise is barely noticeable at 800 and very clean at 1600. The 30d may be better, but the D80 is very clean...one could easily do 11x14 prints at 1600. The difference in lens price is not so far apart either. Nikon's top end is just as pricey, so i wouldn't consider that to be a deal breaker or a factor in my decision.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:31 PM   #5

rjseeneyand swgod98make some very good points. If you're shooting action the 30d is still the best non-pro model out there. Otherwise, it really isa toss-up. This is where ergonomics play a huge part. Handle all 3 cameras first - I know the 20D and 350 were very different. And Nikon's ergonomics are different than Canon's. How a camera feels to you is very important - do you like the controls, menus, viewfinder, LCD - etc. So, I would suggest handling them before making a choice.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:14 AM   #6

Sorry if I made it sound as if the EOS 30D wasmuch better.

I used the word "best" to dictate all the factors. Get what I mean?y

For example, I see the high ISO performance of the EOS 30D as better than the XTi and the D80's high ISO performance. (How is it better might need a different set of explanations) So I thought that the word "best" might just fit in here. (After all, it was all about the three models)

Same thing goes to the build, speed, fps etc. The 30D might not be very much better than the rest in here as you'll havesaid, and that could be correct as well. However, I was thinking that even if the 30D was a little better ina aspect, I could still use the word "best" to qualify it. I meant, 100, 110, 120 & 130are allbig numbers, but 130 is the "biggest" number in here. Get what I mean? :idea: (Although it might not be very much bigger)

In the end, all 3models are great cameras; and I can go onto say how good each one can be.

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7

Great info...I've also heard that even tho' the XTIis10 megapixels and the 30D is only 8 megapixels, the 30D has a bigger sensor which basically allows for the pixels to be closer together and ultimately makes for a sharper picture than the 10 megapixel XTI....Any truth to this?
DIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #8

Code:
Great info...I've also heard that even tho' the XTIis10 megapixels and the 30D is only 8 megapixels, the 30D has a bigger sensor which basically allows for the pixels to be closer together and ultimately makes for a sharper picture than the 10 megapixel XTI....Any truth to this?

Not true, both the EOS 30D & EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) CMOS image sensors are the same size. Theimage sensor of the EOS 400D isCanon's new 10 mega pixel CMOS image sensor. (It's resolution can be higher than the one on the EOS 30D; considering that the Sony Alpha A100 has better resolution than the 30D)

The Sony Alpha A100 is a 10 mega pixel dSLR as the XTi is.

EDIT: Opps, you are right, the CMOSimage sensor of the EOS 30D is slightly larger than the one on the Rebel XTi.

However, the CCD image sensor of the A100 is even larger than the 30Ds'.

Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:41 PM   #9

Come on!! We are talking about millimeters or even tenths of millimeters. Unless, you're talking large scale differences, (like comparing APS sized with full frame) forget these micro comparisons. You're sweating miniscule details that mean very little in real world terms and performance.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:03 PM   #10

Code:
Come on!! We are talking about millimeters or even tenths of millimeters. Unless, you're talking large scale differences, (like comparing APS sized with full frame) forget these micro comparisons. You're sweating miniscule details that mean very little in real world terms and performance.
Agree, they are all good.