Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

Hey all,

This place is pretty awesome. The only forums I found that center on hybrids. Most of the other places I asked at laughed me out of the room. Nobody was taking these units seriously, but they have a bright future I'd think.

Anyway, I'm looking for a hybrid that will satisfy three needs.

Digital camera
Video camera
DVR

I need one that will give me the highest resolution for recording off of tv. If I'm going to record a news report or what have you off of tv, I want to post a nice clear copy on my blog. Infact, this unit here boasts dvd quality (if I read this right):

http://www.ispan.com.tw/products.asp?ref_id=112

But I can't find it for sale anywhere. Also, need something fairly easy. I can find my way around a pc easily enough, but don't want the act of recording my own videos and recording off tv and transfering to pc to be a nightmare. I guess if it's nice enough, I'm willing to pay the price, so that part is open. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mike
willyyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:31 PM   #2

All I can ask is WHY??? How much tv recording do you seriously think you're going to get with a maximum card capacity of 1GB??? Maybe a commercial. (not in HD). Or was this a ploy to get us to click the link ? Seriously I had a HD DVR box from our cable provider with a 200G (that's 200x more than your links item) and it filled in no time. Plus what then do you do if you want to keep it. It would cost a fortune to keep buying memory cards vs cheap harddrives. Transferring it to from that device to your Computer's harddrive over and over would be a lot of unnecessary work.

If you want to record live tv to your computer check out:

http://www.ati.com/products/tvwonder200usb2/index.html

I owned it for a while it's quite simple. Plug any cable or local antenna signal that youreceive into the ATI box and plug it's USB into your computer. It comes with the tuner and necessary software to set up recordings, and a free TV schedule as well. It worked just fine for me, but I sold it after a year, as I wasn't using it enough to justify it. It was nice to have a TV screen in my compter when we lived in our littletownhome.

Should be available for much less than $60 onE-bay. More if you want the remote with it. Or if you do need a new video card as well , check out their ALL IN WONDER video cards with TV recording...

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon96...006/index.html

Nvidia probably has something similar. But you get the idea.

Then buy a camera that will take decent shots and pretty much any new digital camera will have a video mode. IE the Canons2/s3 IS ormy Fujifilm s6000 will take video at 640x480 60fps.

Don't do the do it all but do it all half-assed kind of thing. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:53 PM   #4
Administrator

willyyb wrote:
Quote:
Hey all,

This place is pretty awesome. The only forums I found that center on hybrids.
[snip]
Hey Mike...

We usually ask that "What Camera Should I Buy" type questions stay in this forum.

But, in the case of a Hybrid, feel free to ask in the Hybrids Forum we've got dedicated for these models, too. The guys that read that forum more often may be more familiar with what's available in this category.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:55 PM   #5

oops. Ill copy this post then and put it over there. my bad.

thank you
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:13 PM   #6
Administrator

You didn't make a mistake.

You were only following what we ask members to do (use the What Camera Should I Buy Forum) for this question, which is exactly what you did.

I'm just letting you know that I'll "bend" this rule for you (make an exception in your case), because of the unique camera requirements, since we have a dedicated forum setup for Hybrids, and you may get a better response there, since the members that frequent that forum are probably more up to date on what's available in Hybrid models.

So, feel free to ask the same thing there, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote